Potency vs Chance

Prev1
Jedi_Yoda
928 posts Member
edited September 2016
I see a lot of posts that say to use potency to apply stun.

WRONG!.

Read description for how potency works, its to APPLY DETRIMENTAL AFFECTS, like speed down or dmg over time.. among other things.

STUN is a CHANCE to happen, its based on percentage. Potency has NO effect, I know because no matter how much I increase potency stun only works a small amount of time. Daka is fast so yeah her stuns work because she goes OFTEN, but each time is a CHANCE to stun potency will not made a difference.

I am *SURE* someone is going to dispute this but math is math a CHANCE to apply something is just that, a CHANCE to DO something AFTER you make contact is potency how much affect it has AFTER that chance happens.. then potency kicks in.

Like Vader he is going to do damage to everyone on team, but his potency will affect how much more dmg over time you take.

I have done my own empirical testing and potency does not change how OFTEN stuns get applied. I have gone low potency and stuns still work and used high potency and stuns work at the same rate..

So RG, Asajj dispel, Rey those characters hit based on mathematical formula for a chance to work, potency makes no difference.

Replies

• Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Uhhh...

Chance to apply it yes but when it is applied, it can still be resisted.

Otherwise, why does tenacity up from Rex or Yoda make it so my stun from RG, Old Daka, Dooku, and Asajj NEVER proc? Yet, if I use Asajj to dispel tenacity up poof, like magic, I can start stunning again.

Is this a troll post to distract from the fact that we can't play the game right now?

EDIT: Also, when a character is stunned they have the little lock icon above their head which says something like "stunned player will miss next turn" or something like that.
  • Jabberwocky
    1809 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you trying to suggest stuns aren't a detrimental effect? Lol

Did you not notice that your stuns stuck more as you geared up and potency increased?

You're wrong, sorry.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Uhhh...

Otherwise, why does tenacity up from Rex or Yoda make it so my stun from RG, Old Daka, and Asajj NEVER proc. I use Asajj to dispel tenacity up and, like magic, I can start stunning again.

Is this a troll post to distract from the fact that we can't play the game right now?

Was ready with an answer. What is definition of detrimental?

loss or injury; damaging; harmful.

a STUN is not injury, damaging or harmful you are out of commission.. so detrimental still applies a STUN is not detrimental.

And stun *NEVER* procs? Whatever, I know that's a lie. Besides which that's not chance anymore that's TENACITY not a CHANCE at that point.. we are talking about POTENCY not TENACITY
  • Options
    a stun is however a loss... which you gave in your example
  • Options
    Are you trying to suggest stuns aren't a detrimental effect? Lol

Did you not notice that your stuns stuck more as you geared up and potency increased?

You're wrong, sorry.

No they didn't and no I am not. Believe whatever you want but the english language is VERY clear.

Stun does NO harm, therefore not detrimental. EA chose words carefully.. detrimental is VERY clear, stuns are not detriments...

You going to argue with dictionary now?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    Uhhh...

Otherwise, why does tenacity up from Rex or Yoda make it so my stun from RG, Old Daka, and Asajj NEVER proc. I use Asajj to dispel tenacity up and, like magic, I can start stunning again.

Was ready with an answer. What is definition of detrimental?

loss or injury; damaging; harmful.

a STUN is not injury, damaging or harmful you are out of commission.. so detrimental still applies a STUN is not detrimental.

And stun *NEVER* procs? Whatever, I know that's a lie. Besides which that's not chance anymore that's TENACITY not a CHANCE at that point.. we are talking about POTENCY not TENACITY

A loss of a turn is not detrimental....

The chance of things happen in is spelled out in the wording of the skill... but resistance is based on potency/tenacity.

But you do you man.
  • Options
    Darthpippa wrote: »

no.. if anything its a stop, you aren't taking damage ok so you technically LOSE a turn but it's not from damage or harm..

still not a detriment.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Detrimental effects are displayed above each toon when applied. Stun has a red icon above a toon's head when applied, therefore it is a Detrimental effect...aka a debuff. Potency most assuredly affects stun.
  • Options
    Potency/tenacity = yin/yang.

They are opposites Bro. You are quite good at trolling if that is still what's going on here.

So I suppose when someone is tased with a stun gun that is not detrimental because it causes no damage? You can't move and it hurts like a mother.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    Detrimental effects are displayed above each toon when applied. Stun has a red icon above a toon's head when applied, therefore it is a Detrimental effect...aka a debuff. Potency most assuredly affects stun.

This And it is dispelled just like every other detrimental effect... not definitive but still sounds pretty good.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I think he was payed to start this thread as a distraction....

The cake is a lie!
  • Options

no.. if anything its a stop, you aren't taking damage ok so you technically LOSE a turn but it's not from damage or harm..

still not a detriment.

Not a loss? You are missing the forest for the trees. A well placed stun can mean the difference between and easy victory or a total defeat. If that's not a detriment, I don't know what is.
  • Options
    Stun can be resisted.

Resists are processed by running a tenacity v potency check (min 15% chance to resist).

Therefore, whenever the defenders tenacity comes into it, the attackers potency is important.

All my toons that stun have at least 70% potency for exactly this reason.
  • Options

They are opposites Bro. You are quite good at trolling if that is still what's going on here.

So I suppose when someone is tased with a stun gun that is not detrimental because it causes no damage? You can't move and it hurts like a mother.

OK first that's in real life, get a grip we are talking about a GAME here. You feel pain characters in a GAME do not.

Potency does not increase a CHANCE of something happening if that's true why have 2 different distinct stats?

They could have simply made it potency a CHANCE to apply ALL effects but apparently they made them different for a reason.

still math, a CHANCE is not related to how much affect from an affect AFTER you hit, 2 different things.
  • Options
    @Jedi_Yoda people are trying to tell you how the game actually works. if you dismiss it then you'll find yourself struggling later!

Remove any potency mods you have and see what difference it makes.
  • Jedi_Yoda
    928 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

still not a detriment.

Not a loss? You are missing the forest for the trees. A well placed stun can mean the difference between and easy victory or a total defeat. If that's not a detriment, I don't know what is.

Well detriment to your team from your perspective but not the character itself.

You are trying to grasp at straws blurring a definition that does not apply..

Fine you want to believe applying potency somehow improves a CHANCE which is defined as a math equation meaning how likely something WILL happen.

If there is a 10% chance of rain and potency is weather how likely are you going to get wet if it NEVER rains? eh?

So a stun if it doesn't apply the "water" that tenacity resists but the stun is the likely chance it WILL happen not measured by potency or tenacity at that point.
  • Options
    Lol you are completely and utterly wrong
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »

Uh... that's an indicator just letting you KNOW that character is stunned doesn't mean its suffering from ill effects.
  • Options
    Okay, Phasma has a 90% chance to apply speed down.

She applies speed down less than 90% of the time. Why?

Same could be said with QGJ's TM removal. He removes turn meter 65% of the time, but actually removes TM less than 65% of the time.

Certain toons are easier to stun on a consistent basis. Droids, Rey, Princess Leia, EP are all easier to stun than 5's or Sun Fac, or RG.

I run stun teams in GW and in the arena. This isn't simply confirmation bias.

Try fighting an EP lead team with a Luke lead. You will find his stun procs way less frequently because of Luke's leader ability.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

OK first that's in real life, get a grip we are talking about a GAME here. You feel pain characters in a GAME do not.

Potency does not increase a CHANCE of something happening if that's true why have 2 different distinct stats?

They could have simply made it potency a CHANCE to apply ALL effects but apparently they made them different for a reason.

still math, a CHANCE is not related to how much affect from an affect AFTER you hit, 2 different things.

To say potency doesn't increase your chance of hitting is incorrect...tenacity - potency = ability to resist (min. 15%). If you have no potency they have a higher chance to resist.

Yes this is not related to striking an opponent, those are 2 different things.

I want to explain more but I think I give up. You win.
  • Options
    DjangoQuik wrote: »
    Lol you are completely and utterly wrong

Apparently you lack the ability to comprehend MATH equations, because its NOT the same thing.

One is a Chance another is resists.. you can resist AFFECTS but stun and effects are 2 distinct occurrences.

I am not wrong, its how you perceive it.
  • Options
    How do toons resist stun if there's no potency vs tenacity check on it? If it was just about it proccing, you'd never see resisted pop up when you try to stun. This is not the case.
  • Options
    I think he is partially right but I think he has changed his argument mid way... it is correct that potency doesn't effect the chance to stun... however once it's passed the chance to stun you then have potency/tenacity roll.

so in terms of how often you see a stun stick potency would make a big difference
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    I see a lot of posts that say to use potency to apply stun.

WRONG!.

Read description for how potency works, its to APPLY DETRIMENTAL AFFECTS, like speed down or dmg over time.. among other things.

STUN is a CHANCE to happen, its based on percentage. Potency has NO effect, I know because no matter how much I increase potency stun only works a small amount of time. Daka is fast so yeah her stuns work because she goes OFTEN, but each time is a CHANCE to stun potency will not made a difference.

I am *SURE* someone is going to dispute this but math is math a CHANCE to apply something is just that, a CHANCE to DO something AFTER you make contact is potency how much affect it has AFTER that chance happens.. then potency kicks in.

Like Vader he is going to do damage to everyone on team, but his potency will affect how much more dmg over time you take.

I have done my own empirical testing and potency does not change how OFTEN stuns get applied. I have gone low potency and stuns still work and used high potency and stuns work at the same rate..

So RG, Asajj dispel, Rey those characters hit based on mathematical formula for a chance to work, potency makes no difference.

Potency will not affect your chance for the ability to try to apply it will affect the chance of it actually sticking.

The combined rate that you see the character stunned + the character resisting stun will not change, that is affected by the ability process rate

The rate the you see the character stunned vs resisted will change based on potency vs tenacity. I have also done my own tests and when I had SunFac at 99% tenacity he resisted RG stun more than when it was lower.

Stun can get resisted, happens with Han Solo who shoot first, Aalya stun on crit etc.

Aayla has 100% chance to stun when she crit hits which she does here and STH is not stunned.
    8sORmEl.png
    gAO2hPq.png

Tenacity - Potency = Chance to resist. Chance to resist can not go below 15%.

Most character have low tenacity so High potency is not needed.

RG has at max gear has a base, un-modded potency of 38% which means he can reduce reisist chance of characters with 53% or less tenacity down to the min of 15%

The highest playable character tenacity not including leader abilities is Poe at 55% the next is B2 at 39%.
    So RG can handle pretty much any base tenacity in the game.

All debuffs including stun (there are a couple exceptions but stun is not one) after going thru the processing chance will than go thru the tenacity vs potency check.

1st part of RNG does the stun process (Affected by the ability)
    if yes
    2nd part of RNG is it resisted (Affected by potency vs tenacity)
    if no
    apply effect, in this case stun
  • Options
    Everyone please ignore the OP - he does not know what he is talking about. Stuns most definitely can be resisted.

Potency decreases the chance of this resist (conversely tenacity increases the chance to resist).
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    If these explanations are not enough proof for you how about a dev comment on the subject:
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/534875/#Comment_534875

"This doesn't appear to be a bug. Stun can be resisted/dodged, like any other effect (such as how Dooku doesn’t always stun). Cheers!"
  • KeKattia
    1118 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In case you didn't know there are toons that have 100% stun rate where it is not a chance anymore, still they are resisted sometimes. Why would they be resisted if the Ten-Pot breakdown would not take place?
  • Options
    Trying to keep this civil. Potency absolutely affects the probability of applying a stun. One of the best examples of this I can use is Aayla Secura. "In addition, she Stuns her target for 1 turn whenever she critically hits." There's no probability within her ability affecting the outcome other than just making sure it's a Crit. If you've used her consistently in-game, you'll notice that the target does not always stun when she Crits. That's because her Potency versus the target's Tenacity is still evaluated and at the very least the target has a 15% chance to resist.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

The rate the you see the character stunned vs resisted will change based on potency vs tenacity. I have also done my own tests and when I had SunFac at 99% tenacity he resisted RG stun more than when it was lower.

Stun can get resisted, happens with Han Solo who shoot first, Aalya stun on crit etc.

Exactly, I've noticed the same with my SunFac; at 98% Tenacity he's rarely stunned by anybody except maybe EP at this point or maybe an RG with an EP lead but it's very rare. Before I modded Tenacity he'd be stunned all the **** time.
  • Options
    Lol, my Palpatine stuns more enemies with modded potency. Stun hurts, because there is no chance to resist attacks. That's why it's a debuff.