Have we ever gotten an explanation on how the defense/armor statistic is calculated?

Prev1
I've noticed with mods that getting a secondary with Defense +7 usually increases my armor rating more than a Defense +1.5% secondary, for example. This is somewhat confusing to me... in particular, there isn't the direct relationship between Defense and Armor like there is between Offense and Damage (+30 offense on a secondary leads to +30 physical and special damage, nice and clear).

Have we gotten any clarification on how this works? I'm never sure whether a defense secondary is good or not, unlike how I'm confident what various offensive secondary stats mean.
Officer in BDB, a "casual but competitive" guild that has Rancor and HAAT on farm, gets 37* in LS TB, and kicks butt in TW. PM if interested in joining!

Replies

• Options
    No one has any info on this topic?
    Officer in BDB, a "casual but competitive" guild that has Rancor and HAAT on farm, gets 37* in LS TB, and kicks butt in TW. PM if interested in joining!
  • Options
    No there isn't to my knowledge. I've asked multiple times months ago, I got only silence back then too.
  • Skirata
    163 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Pre mods, Defense was a stat, not a percentage, that added to Armor, which directly subtracted from Damage. Post mods, it's shown as Armor%, so what the Defense stat does now is indirectly affect the Armor%.

The reason it's usually better than Defense % is Defense % is not added to your base Armor %, but multiplied, and 2% of 20% Armor is only a 0.4% improvement.
  • Options
    I have dabbled in the defense / armor stat.

There is a direct relationship between defense and armor. If u give me a % armor and then a stat like +7def, i can tell u the new %.

From what i can tell, the % displayed armor is not the main variable they use, but is converted into % for easy reference

Armor penetration is even more complicated, and as far as i can tell cannot and will never be displayed as a % unless they rework the formulas

Offense and damage is not straightforward either. I didnt look into it much, but as far as i can tell knowing these values does not tell u how much actual damage the character will do
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    Options
    J0K3R wrote: »

There is a direct relationship between defense and armor. If u give me a % armor and then a stat like +7def, i can tell u the new %.

From what i can tell, the % displayed armor is not the main variable they use, but is converted into % for easy reference

Armor penetration is even more complicated, and as far as i can tell cannot and will never be displayed as a % unless they rework the formulas

Offense and damage is not straightforward either. I didnt look into it much, but as far as i can tell knowing these values does not tell u how much actual damage the character will do

Can you share this relationship? I have played around with it also and each character seems to be affected differently buy both a % increase and a flat increase.
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    Options
    @J0K3R
    33.04% armor and 22.08% resistance adding +7 defense
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    scuba wrote: »
    @J0K3R

Ok... 33.56%

Its been a while, hope i still got it :)
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options

Can you share this relationship? I have played around with it also and each character seems to be affected differently buy both a % increase and a flat increase.

You gotta convert the %. So in scuba's example, 33.04% = 296.06 armor. Add 7, 303.06 and then convert it back to %...

Let me look at formula i used.. Oh, this only works for level 80 characters
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    Maybe a mathematician can clean it up, but

ArmorValue =(600*ArmorPercent)/(100-ArmorPercent)
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    ArmorPercent =(ArmorValue/(ArmorValue/100+6))
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    Options
    @J0K3R

Ok... 33.56%

****.... In game it was 33.55%,0.01 could be rounding errors. Looks like some one figured it out
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    @J0K3R

Ok... 33.56%

****.... In game it was 33.55%,0.01 could be rounding errors. Looks like some one figured it out

I'm pretty confident with ArmorPercent + %stat boost = NewArmorPercent
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    Options
    @J0K3R

Ok... 33.56%

I'm pretty confident with ArmorPercent + %stat boost = NewArmorPercent

I appreciate the info. Time to play with Excel on it tomorrow.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    What i wanna figure out is the offensive side of the equation.. But its hard to find a big chunk of time
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What i wanna figure out is the offensive side of the equation.. But its hard to find a big chunk of time

Offense is physical/special damage stat * modifer for ability. I think there is a +/- 5% variance. Can see modifiers on swgoh.gg

@Josh_K did an excellent write up here

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/667425/#Comment_667425
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options

Offense is physical/special damage stat * modifer for ability. I think there is a +/- 5% variance. Can see modifiers on swgoh.gg

@Josh_K did an excellent write up here

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/667425/#Comment_667425

I looked for that magic modifier on the website. Is there a list? The best i ever found the resulting end damage per character
  • Options
    Choose any character from the site and click on any damage ability. Against each upgrade tier the modifier is on the right hand side.
  • Options
    Thank you. I want to see if indeed its an arbitrary number, or if its hidden in a formula from the stats

One thing i will say, all the formulas are genious inventions... The devs did a fantastic job to ensure long term stability
  • Options
    Wow, thanks @J0K3R and others for the discussion! Glad to see someone figured it out.

I did want to clarify one thing though with regards to % changes versus +# changes. For something like critical chance or any other stat that is given as a percentage, getting a 5% boost is just added. But you're saying that for Armor/Defense, if I get a 1% Defense boost, that's actually a 1% boost in the underlying defense statistic, and not the armor value itself, which is why getting a solid number addition is usually better than a percentage change. Do I have that right?

Oh, and BTW, I am actually a mathematician (although I don't have the free time to apply my super powers to this game, lol), so I'm happy to provide advice for anyone who is working through some equations for this game! Lol.
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @J0K3R I played around with these formulas and they seem to work for the integer adds but not the % adds.
    Example 33.04% Armor + 8% defense
    33.04% armor is 296.06 hidden value
    296.06*1.08=319.75
    Converting back should be 34.76% Armor
    In game it comes out to 34.64% Armor
    Have you figured out for these % adds?
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    scottdude8 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks @J0K3R and others for the discussion! Glad to see someone figured it out.

I did want to clarify one thing though with regards to % changes versus +# changes. For something like critical chance or any other stat that is given as a percentage, getting a 5% boost is just added. But you're saying that for Armor/Defense, if I get a 1% Defense boost, that's actually a 1% boost in the underlying defense statistic, and not the armor value itself, which is why getting a solid number addition is usually better than a percentage change. Do I have that right?

Oh, and BTW, I am actually a mathematician (although I don't have the free time to apply my super powers to this game, lol), so I'm happy to provide advice for anyone who is working through some equations for this game! Lol.

I would say that's correct (about %s). But will have to verify.. Im not a mathematician, but i love numbers. So feel free to clean up any formulas u see
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @J0K3R I played around with these formulas and they seem to work for the integer adds but not the % adds.
    Example 33.04% Armor + 8% defense
    33.04% armor is 296.06 hidden value
    296.06*1.08=319.75
    Converting back should be 34.76% Armor
    In game it comes out to 34.64% Armor
    Have you figured out for these % adds?

I thought i had it figured out. Let me look into that formula... Its been over a month, memory fades quickly

Edit: i got 34.76 as well.. Hmm .. U dealing with a 7* level 80 character?
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    I remember why... U gotta seperate what is mod armorStat and the BaseArmorStat
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    The 8% will be on the baseArmorStat
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    So to do the math i need to know how much of the 33.04% is from mods
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Based on my math its 1.6745% from mods
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    NewArmor = ArmorTotal+(BaseArmor*(ModDef%/100))
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    And then u can use the previous formula to change newArmor to %
  • scuba
    14176 posts Member
    Options
    So to do the math i need to know how much of the 33.04% is from mods

33.04 is base armor
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Do u use line?

PM me ur LINE id