StH vs RG

Ok, I need a little help understanding something. Reading through the forums, it appears the tank of the day is StH with as much speed as you can get. Previously, it was RG. RG taunts on command, and has a stun when healthy. StH taunts and provides TMG, possibly TMR. But once StH loses his taunt, he's not worth anything.

I don't understand putting all the speed on StH. When I face a team with him in Arena, it seems pretty easy to defeat. Their fast StH goes before my QGJ. Who then just whacks him with his dispell giving my team offense up. And then StH is saved for last (unless Ol Ben lead). What am I missing? Are they just hoping that QGJ whiffs on his attack, or that he gets stunned first?

My team is listed below. I've been tempted to swap out Phasma lead for Ackbar, and possibly swap RG for StH. But I can't get past the situation I described above. Help a fella out?

Phasma L - 80, G9, Omega on VM, Fullisade, and Leader
QGJ - 80, G11, Omega on all but leader
Lando - 80, G10, Omega on DD and High Roler
Rey - 80, G10 + left side, All Omegas
RG - 80, G9, no omegas

AA - 80, G9, Omegas on Leader and TG
StH - 80, G9, No Omegas

Should I make the switch? I'd have to swap some mods around, but that isn't a big deal. Most of my mods aren't top notch anyway. And I stay between 100 and 50 on my shard. I've hit a little under 50 a few times, but always drop back.

Replies

• Options
    You make very good points. I've run into this same situation many times, and it does actually help me sometimes if their team is speedy and StH goes before my QGJ. Just dispel and be on your way.

However, I think what they are building toward is mega-speedy. Get their whole team as fast as possible. Then when their StH taunts, he gives everyone 30% TM, so their whole team gets a run at you before you get a chance to go. After that, they don't care if you dispel his taunt, they already got a head start on you and that will be enough to win the match, in theory. I think it works very well if they've got enough speed and the right setup. They go before you, giving them a chance to drain your TM with StH unique, taunt for for TM advantage, and then Lando/Wiggs/Anakin lay waste.
  • Options
    I run a team based around STH's taunt, and frequently the deciding factor is when the opposing team's QGJ removes the taunt.

I run AA lead, RG, STH, Lando, QGJ. I my STH goes before their QGJ, I can frequently use my RG to stun their QGJ, and receive massive TM gain through my STH taunt (match over, I win). If their QGJ goes before my STH, exactly the same scenario plays out. If their STH goes first or their QGJ removes my taunt immediately, the match becomes much more difficult.
  • Options
    Teams based on ST Han going first have 4 high octane offenses. Prime example would be Wedge (L) with Biggs, Lando and Anakin. This way you get all 4 going before opponent (most of the time) aka you want to finish the match-up as soon as possible. This is one aspect.

The second one is similar to yours - making ST Han filled and modded with protection rather than going berserk with speed. Mine has around 165 speed and I feel pretty comfortable with whenever I use him. Why? Because he goes after QGJ and lasts longer, thus meaning my whole crew gets more benefit and TM gain in the match. I usually pair him with RG tho.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for all the replies. I'm still not sure what the best setup for my team will be. I don't have the super speedy/high octane thing going at the moment, so I know it won't be that. I was really trying to see if it made more sense to build RG up more, or replace him with StH. Sounds like I have some experimenting/decisions to make in that regard. Or perhaps I will mod up StH and add him to my lineup for the duel tank thing. I'm just glad we have options now. :)
  • Options
    @TMK

In your first few sentences about the fast sth squad. Who would you suggest as alternates to use for wiggs?

Lando
    Sth
    Ani
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Darth_Barf

Sth is a beast tho. Even if you take him out before the taunt, that basically still would be a soft taunt vs you. Since you focused him instead of thier dps or support first turns. Lol
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    Options
    Mullato wrote: »
    @TMK

In your first few sentences about the fast sth squad. Who would you suggest as alternates to use for wiggs?

Lando
    Sth
    Ani

EP and Rey might be the best options. Maybe even B2, depends on your shard. I would still go after Wedge, if possible.
  • Options
    Yeah I don't really get the STHan hype either. I've tried him and he doesn't add anything to my team. I'm not at the OP level and super speedy teams that top sides have but I I like my Ben/Phasma combo. Phasma gives TM and advantage followed by Ben removing opponents TM and providing offense down/ability block. This gives me a nice head start on my opponent. Defensively it might not work out exactly like that but I haven't found a better combo for my team yet. And for now I think I'm in a better Arena position then my squad suggests. Only because it's very effective offensively. I'll lose places but I'm always where I want to be come payout.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Apoc88

Once you get near maxed out toons you will see the difference he makes.

For example...

Say my squad and speeds are....
    Lando- 152
    Ani - 170
    Rey - 200
    QGJ- 160
    STH- 200 + 15 from lando lead.

My sth is my fastest toon here at 215 speed.
    So any toon at 152 speed or more will get thier tm filled from the 30% gain from sth

152x(10÷7) = 217.

So.
    If he is able to get his taunt up on the first move he makes then basically my whole squad boosts to 215 speed (thier tm is filled to max)

So even though my lando is only 151 speed he would move before my oppenents toons that are at 214 speed or less. That's game winning tbh.

Also having all my toons boost to 100% tm at the same time would make rng decide the turn order tho.

• Options
    @Mullato - Sounds like StH isn't really being made speedy for his taunt/damage absorption. He's basically become a JE for non-droid teams. Get the first turn, boost the TM, sit back and watch the opponent fall. If he gets dispelled next, so be it. Thanks, I think that is the piece of the puzzle I was missing.