Why I think palpatine does not need to be nerfed

Palpatine has a perception of being so powerful now because the damage is way too high.
His group stun becomes strategically very powerful, because that 1 turn means a lot of damage.
Protection entered the game because the game was in a state of OHK at turn 1, and it alleviated the issue. But mods brought it back, and it's even worse now.

It's clear that defense and healing are not viable strategies for "endgame" play because they are not powerful enough to counter a significant portion of the damage.

Once the game achieves a better balance, players will have more turns to play on each combat, and the group stun will have less of an impact as a consequence.

So it's a matter of optimizing developer brain matter intelligently, and tackle the damage/health balance first, Improving the viability of defense and healing in the process, and see where things stand in practice when we get there. It's likely EP won't need to be touched; but if it needs to be adjusted, it would be better to do it after a damage balance pass.

Replies

• Options
    I have him maxed and omega'd and I don't use him. If he got to go first, he'd be great, but Wiggs takes him out instantly and he's just a wasted spot in the team. Pre-Wiggs-one-shots, yes he was almost OP.
  • Options
    Palpatine's stun isn't even that bad. It isn't even guaranteed to activate on every member of your team.

Old Ben's mind tricks are much worse. If your opponent's team goes first and he activates that move, you lose 60% turn meter (not much different from stun right there). Then you have to deal with ability block and offense down, which basically keeps your entire team out of the fight for another turn.

Worst part is, Old Ben's mind tricks are guaranteed to activate, and 99/100 times it will work across the board. Idk why people cry about Palpatines stun when this broken move has been in existence much longer.

But ultimately, all of this is the product of excessive speed in arena, which needs to be balanced for the longevity of this game
  • Options
    imo stun shouldn't 2 turn and removed shocked instead aoe shocked debuff enemy that were shocked has chance to get stunned(1 turn)
    sound fun against turn meter up/buffing team
    the cake is a lie
  • Options
    IMO, speed can't be balanced. The faster toon will always have the advantages. With high speed secondaries, more toons can take advantage of speed. If we lower speed thresholds on secondaries, speed will still be preeminent, but to a smaller selection of toons, and thus less diversity. It only takes 1 point more of speed for a toon to have the advantages. The only way to make speed less relevant is to make all speed secondaries have the same exact speed rating, which defeats the purpose of having speed mods.

TLDR:

Speed will always be king, no matter how big or small the speed bonus.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Options
    imo stun shouldn't 2 turn and removed shocked instead aoe shocked debuff enemy that were shocked has chance to get stunned(1 turn)

That would actually make it worse since Palpatine gets 20% turn meter per shocked enemy. Two-turn stun rarely happens. Realistically you have to stun first and then hope he survives to stun again. Rarely does he get a two-turn stun
  • Options
    Who said Palp is OP? He is useless in Arena since all the kiddies run cancer old ben and Wiggs...Yes he can stun and make a pretty good debuff, but its not better then Anakin...Also Old Ben will be the best choice for Arena for ever, atleast as long as dodge doesnt get balanced...As @Nastynas91 mentioned Old Bens Aoe is much more annyoing then the weak dmg stun of Palp...
  • Options
    Woofy_MC wrote: »
    Who said Palp is OP? He is useless in Arena since all the kiddies run cancer old ben and Wiggs...Yes he can stun and make a pretty good debuff, but its not better then Anakin...Also Old Ben will be the best choice for Arena for ever, atleast as long as dodge doesnt get balanced...As @Nastynas91 mentioned Old Bens Aoe is much more annyoing then the weak dmg stun of Palp...

If EP has lead, wouldn't your OB team be useless if they are mostly Rebel / Jedi since their evasion gets -32%?
  • Woofy_MC
    219 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If EP has lead, wouldn't your OB team be useless if they are mostly Rebel / Jedi since their evasion gets -32%?

IF they are rebels and Jedi. Most of the time its a mix of different toons. Its rather unusual to see pure Jedi or Rebel teams nowadays...

Post edited by Woofy_MC on
  • Options
    Raid Han to EP, see ya bud - irrelevant
  • Options
    Nastynas91 wrote: »

That would actually make it worse since Palpatine gets 20% turn meter per shocked enemy. Two-turn stun rarely happens. Realistically you have to stun first and then hope he survives to stun again. Rarely does he get a two-turn stun

in my case i found it very annoying when succeeding shocked Enemy rg then aoe skill turns out rg got stunned but isn't the case because he's able to taunt up and tm gain as normal, if fac b2 anakin and rex also present it is very dilematic to me, palp cant shocked debuff everyone at same time nor fast enough to pull it off....thus his skillset a bit underwhelming
    shocked currently the only way to beat tm gain team imo, both spd down and buffblock cant negate it(i read someone mention tm gain counted as positive effect)
    the cake is a lie
  • Options
    Woofy_MC wrote: »

What's ridiculous is that Palp is meant to be a counter to Rebels and Jedi...but Old Ben still lands at least 70% of his debuffs despite palp lead taking away his potency and Wiggs just doesn't care about anti-rebel abilities.
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    I have him maxed and omega'd and I don't use him. If he got to go first, he'd be great, but Wiggs takes him out instantly and he's just a wasted spot in the team. Pre-Wiggs-one-shots, yes he was almost OP.

But Wiggs one shots were in the game before Palp ever was..
    Palp never needed a nerf, he's one of the most fun and versatile characters in the game. Instead CG should release even more characters like him! Obviously those characters would need similar requirements as Palp in order to obtain them :smile:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    Palp does not need a nerf. I rarely use him because he's already a disappointment. It's pointless to nerf a lame duck. I put some time into building him up to 60/100 towards 7 stars but stopped wasting my time when I realized how lame he is. I'm glad I didn't let He-Who-is-Too-Chicken-to-Be-Named, Inc leech any $$ for him, or I'd really be upset and file fraud or false advertising charges with Consumer Affairs.
  • Options
    Palp does not need a nerf. I rarely use him because he's already a disappointment. It's pointless to nerf a lame duck. I put some time into building him up to 60/100 towards 7 stars but stopped wasting my time when I realized how lame he is. I'm glad I didn't let He-Who-is-Too-Chicken-to-Be-Named, Inc leech any $$ for him, or I'd really be upset and file fraud or false advertising charges with Consumer Affairs.

How did you get 60/100 of him? He's not farmable or in packs, only available via event like Yoda and Tier VI gives you 85 shards to level him to six stars and final tier gets you that last 100. Something doesn't pass the smell test here...
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"