Two New Imps Means Rethinking My Squad.

War
932 posts Member
edited October 2016
I've got Palpatine and Vader who are both staying. Snowtrooper and Magma Trooper are my main attackers with the added benefit of ability block and TM reduction. Royal Guard is my tank to taunt enemies away from Palpatine.

Tie Fighter Pilot is a fast, high damage attacker; with tenacity down on his basic, AoE buff immunity with ability block on the main target, and with EP and Vader throwing debuffs everywhere will gain 50% TM at the end of his turn, and at 164 speed will probably attack twice every time his turn comes up.

Shoretrooper is a beast of a tank with 27k HP and 23k Protection and with EP's leader ability will have a monstrous life pool. He also has crit chance down on his basic, a taunt with ally crit immunity and a rather large heal since I'll be running EP lead. His unique will be granting my Imps TM on special attacks and he'll heal when they use those specials.

With Tie Pilot the replacement options are Snow and Magma. Snow is useful for ability block on his basic and when any unit is defeated he gains 30% TM and Imp allies gain 15%. Magma's basic is weak and unreliable on who the second target will be. But his AoE with potency mods and EP leader will actually remove TM like it should, which is useful for keeping stunned targets stunned longer.

Shoretrooper is a bit of a wild card, he's a tank so replacing RG should be obvious, but RG has that auto taunt and health up for Imps. His DPS is greater than Magma's with arguably a better special than just TM reduction. He's also faster than Snow and grants 15% TM when Imps use specials rather than when someone is defeated. So he could replace Snow, Magma, or RG.

I'm leaning towards replacing Snow and Magma after reading what I typed. One of the reasons I do posts is it usually answers my own question after typing it up, but I'm interested in what you guys think.

Replies

• Options
    I think you are on the right track. I do t have a 7 star Vader yet so there's a good chance I'll run with tarkin or 88 instead. TFP and shoretrooper are definitely going to join the lineup for me.
  • Options
    Ep, vader, moff, TP, ST
    Best empire team.
    Good bye RG
  • War
    932 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Moicaliss wrote: »
    Ep, vader, moff, TP, ST
    Best empire team.
    Good bye RG

What's your reasoning on Moff Tarkin over the others? His basic attack does have some kick to it, his AoE TM reduction is nice but has much lower proc rate than Magma's. His intimidation tactics are actually better than I realized, the offense down is for 3 turns and the cool down is also 3 turns, so he could have the enemy team with offense down the whole match I guess. Still he's squishier than I'd like him to be, and with EP and TP the same way, I'd rather not have the team destroyed by AoEs, follow up attacks, or hard hitters like Rey.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    +1 Why Moff? Dual tanks. SHT and RG. Shock everyone. EP will kill them by himself. Moff gets more bench time once u have SHT, in my prediction. Don't need his speed lead if u have sht. Don't need his basic damage if u have TP.

One aoe, ep. One ohko dude in TP. Rest of ur dudeshard will tank/taunt plus minus detaunt, imo.
  • Options
    Because of the great opening you can have. Round 1: 3xvader, 3xmoff, 2xTp.
    Whit Tp having block the dispeller....What they can do? Dots, offence down, buff imunnity....tmr
    That's why
  • Options
    Palpatine, Vader, Tie Pilot, Shoretrooper, with the fifth interchangeable. Tarkin is great for the burst start, but is squishy. RG is great for a second taunt and the stun+slow. Magmatrooper can make a case with the reliable TM down and as a defense to droids and enemy Palpatine. You could also use b2 for the dispel. Or throw a Sith in there.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with @Imbicatus that Palpatine, Vader, Tie Pilot, and Shoretrooper are your core members. For me the fifth will have to be RG, I've already leveled him, modded him, and almost finished gearing him. Magma simply requires way too many stun cuffs and other purple rares to be in the running for fifth. Too bad my favorite Imperial Officer, General Veers, can't be in the running.

EP leader ability, health mod sets, and RG health up buff to create a wall of health that taunts at the start of the encounter. And to top it off don't go crazy with speed secondaries so his taunt lasts nice and long, all while being healed when my other Imps do their thing. The issue would be if they dispel his taunt and it takes a bit to get to his turn, but I'm sure the others would survive till then, especially since RG would auto taunt if someone takes real damage, and then on Shore's turn taunt and heal everyone.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    War wrote: »
    Ep, vader, moff, TP, ST
    Best empire team.
    Good bye RG

What's your reasoning on Moff Tarkin over the others? His basic attack does have some kick to it, his AoE TM reduction is nice but has much lower proc rate than Magma's. His intimidation tactics are actually better than I realized, the offense down is for 3 turns and the cool down is also 3 turns, so he could have the enemy team with offense down the whole match I guess. Still he's squishier than I'd like him to be, and with EP and TP the same way, I'd rather not have the team destroyed by AoEs, follow up attacks, or hard hitters like Rey.

Even though Grand Moff is squishy, Palpatines leader ability will give those low health characters enough of a boost to withstand most AOEs, especially if Tarkin gets an opportunity to use his intimidation.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    War wrote: »
    Ep, vader, moff, TP, ST
    Best empire team.
    Good bye RG

Even though Grand Moff is squishy, Palpatines leader ability will give those low health characters enough of a boost to withstand most AOEs, especially if Tarkin gets an opportunity to use his intimidation.

Yeah I forgot about that, well not really since I was talking about how much health SHT would have with the leader ability. I just didn't take it into account when looking at the Moff's stats. Still he's slower than RG and is weeks behind on levels and gear, so I'm still sticking with RG for convenience sake. But nice to know he's an option for an alt since the tournament looks as though it will allow for those.

They mentioned characters would be refreshed every 24 hours and that you can retreat from battles and keep any points earned. It sounds to me like it's going to be an arena raid mesh of some kind, so leveling and gearing all my Imps would ultimately prove useful for replacing fallen members between battles.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Whit Tp having block the dispeller....What they can do? Dots, offence down, buff imunnity....tmr
    That's why

Well so u think... have u met rex? Ur 3x turns for one toon give entire other team TM, so ur one man show better be worth it, cuz ur only delaying the rest of your team... vader only gets 3x if he ohko someone and moff.. well unless his offense down sticks in the right places, u will be sorry for doing it. Plus SHT doesn't make anyone else faster. So enemy ST han is gonna be taunting, too. I would also note biggs unique, but I dont think wiggs will be a problem.

Is this moff team the ultimate empire squad... for which rex holds the key to the front door? Droids 2.0 and rex is laughing.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    That's why

Well so u think... have u met rex? Ur 3x turns for one toon give entire other team TM, so ur one man show better be worth it, cuz ur only delaying the rest of your team... vader only gets 3x if he ohko someone and moff.. well unless his offense down sticks in the right places, u will be sorry for doing it. Plus SHT doesn't make anyone else faster. So enemy ST han is gonna be taunting, too. I would also note biggs unique, but I dont think wiggs will be a problem.

Is this moff team the ultimate empire squad... for which rex holds the key to the front door? Droids 2.0 and rex is laughing.

SHT makes it so Imps gain 15% TM when using specials while he's taunting, EP makes it so they gain 20% TM for placing debuffs. EP also shocks ST Han so he can't taunt and Vader ability blocks Rex every turn so he never gets to clear those debuffs and grant tenacity up. I've fought ST Han and Rex teams, they never put up much of fight since they rely on TM gain and EP disables that.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Sht doesn't do that until his turn. And he slow. EP lead weakness is first round speed. Always has been. Now they get a taunt to protect ep, but rex still gonna use SD if anni exposes him. 50 50.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Options
    Sht doesn't do that until his turn. And he slow. EP lead weakness is first round speed. Always has been. Now they get a taunt to protect ep, but rex still gonna use SD if anni exposes him. 50 50.

SHT starts the encounter with a taunt so they're gaining 15% TM from the very beginning and on his turn will taunt an additional 2 turns. If Rex ends up doing his SD right away then there will be a problem, but he typically does it as a cleanse for debuffs rather then a preventive measure. So your relying on Anakin exposing himself otherwise Rex will go before my team and end up using subdue or something, allowing me to ability block him on Vader's turn, or stunning him on RG's.

Going first isn't always best, especially if the enemy has a pattern you can exploit. I actually like going second since the enemy will have gotten the worst of their attacks out, and then I can work on disabling them from doing anymore real damage.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SHT starts the encounter with a taunt so they're gaining 15% TM from the very beginning
    Shoretrooper taunting means your team regains 15% turn meter AFTER they use a special. This does not increase their first turn attack speed.

Interestingly, it says "whenever another Empire unit uses a special ability, they gain 15% TM." It does not specify ally. If this is the same garbage as EP skill bugfoo, this means the other team's Empire toons will gain this TM, too.

Either way, 100% TM is 100% TM. 15% more doesn't help. So Vader/Moff (Moff probably less than 100%) gain 100% TM on AOE. Big deal. They will give rex's team ~20-35% (more for Rex/clones) TM x 5 toons = 100-175% TM. Less if some/all of them are almost filled, of course. But this takes back to back attacks off the table. If Rex HASN'T used SD, it's maybe even worse, lol. AOE fills TM, Rex cleanses and fills his whole team... right back at you with every debuff turned into TM. And you think none of his team have an AOE, too? Only good thing about this situation is IF your EP lands a stun on Rex. Weak AOE with debuffs is exactly horrible against Rex lead... unless it's OB's Mind Tricks with 60% TM removal and 95% chance of ability block. You will get ONE AOE off before you receive return fire... and you will get the worse end of the bargain.
    Post edited by LastJedi on
  • Options
    That's why

Hummm you forgot about TP ability block whit 164 base speed...
    Rex lead? Are you criting alot whit an empire squad? I don't think so
  • Options
    That's why

Hummm you forgot about TP ability block+buff immunity whit 164 base speed...

• Rotor
    473 posts Member
    Options
    Look at the rewards only a few people from the 3 different sets of time zones will get him.
  • Options
    Rotor wrote: »
    Look at the rewards only a few people from the 3 different sets of time zones will get him.

Not few, top rank will get hit faster, mid or low rank still get some shards. But it will take at least 1 month probably 2 before you see him in arena
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    TP
    That's why

Hummm you forgot about TP ability block whit 164 base speed...

3 aoe's by time all ur toons have a turn. Yeah u would be critting a lot. How low can u get your crit rate without farming a new set of zero crit chance secondaries? 37%? 2 crits per aoe... 30% TM to rex/clones, 14% to everyone else. (St han gives 30% TM on taunt and 20% per hit, to put that into perspective.) Add that up, it's around 100% tm total. Which is max u can get from your skills. For moff wet noodle aoe.

I think crit rates are ****, anyway. I seem to get more crits than the rate suggests. Maybe it is toon dependent. Like OB and his mind trick potency.