Usual boring GW subject/request

Valeran
119 posts Member
edited October 2016
Hey guys,

I've been playing GoH for half a year already, and so far I've managed to finish the GW only 20 times. I know it's good to have all kinds of characters maxed out or high-leveled however I can barely make through the 10th node and I'm usually stuck there. I can mix up some jedi, droid, sith, scoundrel synergies however the last two-three nodes are always IMPOSSIBLE. Maxed out Royal Guard, Anakin, QGJ, Rey and Han each with +20k protection? No way to win.

I myself like the challenges but making GW this unbelievably hard around the end is just nonsense. I can't even put up any strategies as the enemy team starts first and I get rekt and debuffed and everything...

In my opinion I highly suggest balancing the GW mode as it is no fun to just get obliterated and blocked off from the possibilities of better rewards. :)

Anyways, if you have any tips or advices are still appreciated!

Replies

• Options
    Somewhere between level 60 and 72, GW is nearly impossible. Then you level your bench and it becomes possible again. Don't be afraid to retreat and to send a suicide squad in to die first on hard battles.
    Character Name: Nofaultius
  • Options
    Somewhere between level 60 and 72, GW is nearly impossible. Then you level your bench and it becomes possible again. Don't be afraid to retreat and to send a suicide squad in to die first on hard battles.

Yeah I have some expendable characters to let the enemy use off their abilities however it's only up to 1-2 chars and the other ones still pack a big punch to my main team.
  • Options
    Based on power from high to low this is my collection.

14689983_10210808434157367_2041705119_o.jpg
  • Options
    Valeran wrote: »

Get Barris and Daka. They help a ton in GW.
  • Options
    One thing I found helpful is on the first 5 nodes I use 2 of my best for dps for me genosian soldier and princess leia and I'll alternate the different characters I think I'll need later in those 5 nodes to preload all of them with turn meter that way when I get to node 6 I have turn meter on about 3 separate squads and my dps does enough damage I barely lose any protection up to that point then you can change things up still go first and you can stop using suicide squads

Also build a rebel squad because the emperor is king when it comes to galactic war mine is only 5 star but I got some speed on him so he can open with his AOE stun attack you'll often kill 1 to 3 guys before the other team gets to go on easy nodes and his basic is a super reliable buff block to stop those taunts so double take squads are easy to deal with
  • Options
    If you have rebels you have no problem, people I know that have problems with gw are those that over gear old meta or bad toons.
  • Options
    Certain toons are good for raid, arena and GW. I have several accounts and never failed a GW, actually very rarely lose any toon other than the occasional lemming group at the end to trigger their specials.

I run on nodes 1-9 a nuke team to clear it fast:
    Wedge lead
    Biggs
    Lando
    RG
    Lumi

Then to my A-team for 10-12 or that one middle node with 200 tokens which they sometimes make hard.

Lumi - heal and abilty block the tank
    Daka - Double stuns and rezzes
    RG - safety net, stun and slow
    QGJ - dispel taunt and kill w harmony
    Rey - your assassin, use for your killing blows

I've found Teebo good too, high hps and with his primary omega' he pretty much TM locks one of their toons. Can dispell taunt too and screws up their targeting with stealth, which can be good and bad.

I can take that team all the way through without anyone dying usually but swapped the nuke team which can clear some nodes in seconds sometimes.
  • Options
    Use RG and max health, not protection.

STH and protection are worthless in GW. STH dies too easy and protection can't be healed back. Chewie is way better than STH, in GW.

30k health is way better than 70k protection unless he's in ther for only 1 node because at the end he'll still have 30k health but zero protection.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options

Focus on finishing up your droids and farm JE, you'll be surprised how easy GW becomes with a droid squad. While you farm JE you can use HK lead, 88, 86, GS, and Poggle as a stopgap with QGJ implemented as needed for dispels
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    I'd say your biggest problem is that you don't have a levelled up taunting tank that can take a bunch of damage from those higher node teams. RG is the best for this. Also save your A team with full or near full protection for the last couple nodes. I use Sidious (L) IG86 IG88 Lumi and RG. That auto taunt will save your bacon and Lumi will heal everyone back up. I like using Sid basically to feed my IG88 but you can use a different leader especially against a counter team. Always use a suicide squad first against those last 2 nodes one that's strong enough to weaken there hardest hitting toon
    I still struggle with GW some times and have to restart but the rewards aren't that great and the next teams usually aren't as hard
  • Options
    I finished gw in under 30 mins today using only 7 toons, Wedge, Lando, Leia, Luminara, Geonosian Soldier, Phasma, and QGJ.

Started off with Wedge (L), Lando, Leia, QGJ, and Phasma. My goal is to have Phasma with close to full TM by the end of the first node. Second node I use the same team but sub in Luminara for Phasma and try to have Luminara as close to full TM possible by the end of the second node. Then I sub in GS for Luminara and run with that team until someone needs to be healed at which point I will sub Luminara back in. I usually save Phasma until node 9, she should go first if I preloaded her with enough TM on the first node and then with her Victory March my whole team will get a turn before the opponents and I should be able to take out 1 or 2 key toons right off the bat making the 9th node much easier. Then I just use whichever toons are left for the last 3 nodes.

Just to put in perspective how good Wedge is: I have him at only 6 stars gear 8, but I've been using him in gw since 5 stars gear 8 and I went from spending over an hour on gw before to finishing it in about 30 mins average (p.s. this is also without Biggs in my lineup. I currently have him at 5 stars gear 6 but I imagine it will only get easier once I get him up to speed)
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your suggestions guys! I'm definetly going to try out these methods based on your experience!
  • Options
    If they have a strong healer, i use suicide squad to remove protection. I dont try to kill any cause most of the times you end up almost killing 2 toons and they are healed on your next try. So i try to make sure there is no protection left on any of the enemy toons.
    Then it s a walk in the park for A squad.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your suggestions guys! I'm definetly going to try out these methods based on your experience!

Always remember Turn Meter carries over to the next match, so as said above try to get multiple characters subbed in to get them going. At the end of an easy match always try to just use your basics and keep your buffs/debuffs/aoe for the next/harder rounds, and if you take to much DMG or lose too many characters, restart and change it up a bit (especially Leader), might take a few tries but you'll find the combo you need to win and you'll start winning a lot more once you have your Droid Squad running (as said above).

O
  • Options
    I have only failed to complete GW 2 times.... it was the first two times I played because I didn't know you could retreat. Since then it has been challenging and frustrating at times but never impossible.
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If they have a strong healer, i use suicide squad to remove protection. I dont try to kill any cause most of the times you end up almost killing 2 toons and they are healed on your next try. So i try to make sure there is no protection left on any of the enemy toons.
    Then it s a walk in the park for A squad.

I mean, if you're sacrificing a squad for this, then this is only viable on node 12. The OP is having problems at node 10, hardly the place you want to throw away toons.

@OP I would caution against this advice, if you are sending in a squad to die, in my experience you need to kill at least one member of the opposing team, preferably a taunter, a high dps character (rey), or a high potency stunner (RG, Dooku, Daka, etc). 5 toons in a squad more powerful than yours can defeat you if you donate them TM even if they don't have protection left.

Also, I agree with the other posters that droids are very strong in GW. I have only failed one GW in the last 3 months with my droid squad (and that was only the 3rd time ever and one of those three was my first time in GW).

Edit:
    gobears21 wrote: »
    I have only failed to complete GW 2 times.... it was the first two times I played because I didn't know you could retreat. Since then it has been challenging and frustrating at times but never impossible.

So much this. If you find yourself in a bad spot, retreat, and pick a different tactic for the fight. Picking a different tactic is important because if you try the same path you will get the same results.
  • Options
    For me the problem still persists. Last or before last node RG with 50k prot, or Sun Fac with 60k prot, not even my suicide squad could take down 10k prot from them. This is my problem I can fight myself up to node 10 even 11, but then comes the last one which is like I said before, impossible. Badly outmatched... the first 19 wins in GW was nice and easy, I used tactics and all like that, but now, with this new system I won 1 time in months...
  • Options
    Your squad needs more synergy.

Even with that in mind, there's little reason you shouldn't be finishing GW more often than not. The occasional day where you get multiple tough node squads, sure. But not every day.
  • Baze
    182 posts Member
    Options
    What is your mod setup look like? Is all of your shards modded? The groups of characters you have at the level and gear at first glance, should pose very little challenge in gw assuming they are all modded at max level. If (on the other hand) you are running the bulk of your characters with low level (or no) mods, then I'd understand the peril you would be facing.
  • Options
    I'd say do NOT get bariss for GW. Luminara's heal is nearly as good, and she is an offensive threat. There are much more important people to farm in the cantina nodes. Once you can beat it regularly, with a lot of DPS and TM advantage, Bariss will be completely useless compared to B2, Lando, Ani, etc. Fill up your TM for everyone in nodes like 1-3, and use droids for as long as you can.
  • Options
    I am really surprised - it seems you have a good collection.
    here are my advises:
    1. Restart - if you think that you've lost too much health of some viable toon just restart and try different team
    2. Use sacrifice team - if you should battle against toon with AoE or mass debuf like OldBen, STHan first battle with weak toons - just to let them take mass debuf, AoE and then with strong team.

Good luck