Gold gear in shipments

Ing256
471 posts Member
edited October 2016
After last client restart we got gold gear in shipments and what I notice is...
A full gear requiring 50 pieces from lvl 9 battles, is up for sale for 750 crystals.
Now, this means that it's a lot more cheap buying it with crystals than using the energy to grind it, even compared to the cheapest energy refills.
Is this good?

Replies

• Options
    Oooohwee. Depends on how you want to spend your crystals. You could stop refreshing and start buying the gear, but that would severely hinder the leveling process until you are at the cap again.

Also, I haven't seen it yet but from what I heard, the gold gear that requires salvage costs something like 1200 crystals. The piece requiring components costs 750. Components can be acquired in the daily challenges I believe.
  • Options
    Ing256 wrote: »
    After last client restart we got gold gear in shipments and what I notice is...
    A full gear requiring 50 pieces from lvl 9 battles, is up for sale for 750 crystals.
    Now, this means that it's a lot more cheap buying it with crystals than using the energy to grind it, even compared to the cheapest energy refills.
    Is this good?

You won't know for sure the drop rates and accessibility of the gold gear until you grind it, plus they're being made available in challenges. Could be an easier grind than you think
  • Options
    Yeah you would be losing out on everything you would gain from battles but purely from crystals it probably is cheaper. i hear credits are sparse up there so it may be worth it using the refreshes for all the crystals as well. Im low level so i dont really know, but just my guess.
  • Ing256
    471 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm talking about gear whose only listed source are 9-x battles. They are not listed as farmable in the challenges.
    Obviously we don't know what the drop rate for gold gear in 9-x battles is (I don't even know what's the energy cost). But I find it very difficult to believe they are going to drop more than purple gear or cost less than level 8 battles. Assuming same energy cost and drop rate as purple gear like stun cuffs... well, there are very little reasons to farm them in the battles
  • Jambiiiiiiiii
    912 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm talking about gear whose only listed source are 9-x battles. They are not listed as farmable in the challenges.
    Obviously we don't know what the drop rate for gold gear in 9-x battles is (I don't even know what's the energy cost). But I find it very difficult to believe they are going to drop more than purple gear or cost less than level 8 battles. Assuming same energy cost and drop rate as purple gear like stun cuffs... well, there are very little reasons to farm them in the battles

Ooohwee. Honestly, I'd still focus on the energy refreshes initially until you hit the cap again. Then you can play catch up with the gear or drop cash for it. You will likely be able to farm several pieces on the way to 85.

Edit: as for the pieces that aren't farmable yet, that's your call. They might show up in raids and you may end up overstocked on certain pieces as some people are now.
  • Options
    I assume you're talking about the BioTech Mk8 Prototype or something similar... It's not a full piece. You still need to farm another 60 things to add to it to make it a full piece (those 60 are on sale for a modest 1500 crystals).

Sooooo... yes, maybe wait a bit and see.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    Spending energy on refills and do battles in ls/ds also gives XP, igc, other gear pieces, and so on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    None of it is unobtainable and all this is doing is allowing ppl who spend the speed advantage it always has. No issue if ppl want to pay the bills.
  • Ing256
    471 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Honestly, I'd still focus on the energy refreshes initially until you hit the cap again. Then you can play catch up with the gear or drop cash for it. You will likely be able to farm several pieces on the way to 85.

Edit: as for the pieces that aren't farmable yet, that's your call. They might show up in raids and you may end up overstocked on certain pieces as some people are now.

I agree you want to use energy refills to speed up your level gains at first, but that energy... you aren't going to use it for pieces of gear which is half as expensive (at the very least) if you buy it directly.
    Tiggus wrote: »
    I assume you're talking about the BioTech Mk8 Prototype or something similar... It's not a full piece. You still need to farm another 60 things to add to it to make it a full piece (those 60 are on sale for a modest 1500 crystals).

It doesn't matter: I didn't say it's a full equippable gear. It's a full piece made of 50 pieces and you need it.
    theHejiN wrote: »
    Spending energy on refills and do battles in ls/ds also gives XP, igc, other gear pieces, and so on

After you have leveled up, what's left is usually worth very little. You can have a doubt when for example you either buy a piece for 300 crystals or farm it for 340 crystals, but not when you either farm it for 1050 crystals or buy it for 750
    Kyno wrote: »
    None of it is unobtainable and all this is doing is allowing ppl who spend the speed advantage it always has. No issue if ppl want to pay the bills.

True, but up until now they had to spend 1400 crystals for the same benefits. Now they need to spend 750 crystals. Developers are just making it a lot easier for whales than for regular players: it's not going to be the same it has been, it's going to be a lot worse. And only to try to squeeze a few more bucks from the players (who are going to run out in mass after trying the new raid because they are fed up with this dumb ripoff strategies).
    The game is being killed by removing the player base and trying to squeeze as much as possible from those who stay, and they won't stay for very long obviously if these are the premises.
    On the other side, if they simply added free content, they'd keep their player base and encourage new players to join the game, which would in turn improve their revenues in the middle and long term.
    I think the fact the adopted strategies are killing the game should be a major concern for the community
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options

Honestly, I'd still focus on the energy refreshes initially until you hit the cap again. Then you can play catch up with the gear or drop cash for it. You will likely be able to farm several pieces on the way to 85.

I agree you want to use energy refills to speed up your level gains at first, but that energy... you aren't going to use it for pieces of gear which is half as expensive (at the very least) if you buy it directly.
    Tiggus wrote: »

It doesn't matter: I didn't say it's a full equippable gear. It's a full piece made of 50 pieces and you need it.
    theHejiN wrote: »

After you have leveled up, what's left is usually worth very little. You can have a doubt when for example you either buy a piece for 300 crystals or farm it for 340 crystals, but not when you either farm it for 1050 crystals or buy it for 750
    Kyno wrote: »

True, but up until now they had to spend 1400 crystals for the same benefits. Now they need to spend 750 crystals. Developers are just making it a lot easier for whales than for regular players: it's not going to be the same it has been, it's going to be a lot worse. And only to try to squeeze a few more bucks from the players (who are going to run out in mass after trying the new raid because they are fed up with this dumb ripoff strategies).
    The game is being killed by removing the player base and trying to squeeze as much as possible from those who stay, and they won't stay for very long obviously if these are the premises.
    On the other side, if they simply added free content, they'd keep their player base and encourage new players to join the game, which would in turn improve their revenues in the middle and long term.
    I think the fact the adopted strategies are killing the game should be a major concern for the community

None of the 750 pieces are full gear. I've seen 1200 crystal prices on 1 major part of gear that still needs another 50 piece with it. I see no full piece for 750.

Also needed to add 750 is more of a f2p price anyway, that's a week of good placement in arena and still doing 50/50 refreshes.