What does defense up or defense mods do?

vector6000
236 posts Member
edited October 2016
Before I mistakenly thought defence was basically protection. But it turns out there are protection mods and its its own stat (so defence does not add protection pts).

So what is defence? I dont think there is any stat that shows as defence. Is it the stat known as "Armor"?

Replies

• Options
    Defense affects both armor and resistance. The armor/resistance % is how much damage is reduce.

Ex:
    You attack fives (30% armor) with a normally 10k attack.
    10k - (10k*30%) = 7k
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    Thanks Supercat. Thats very interesting and perfect answer.
  • Options
    Yes, defense affects armor and resistance, but to different degrees. The formula has eluded me, but I'm sure the answer can be induced by a simple experiment.

I do know that flat defense boosts are almost always better than their percentage counterparts.
  • Options
    Manowar wrote: »
    Yes, defense affects armor and resistance, but to different degrees. The formula has eluded me, but I'm sure the answer can be induced by a simple experiment.
    I do know that flat defense boosts are almost always better than their percentage counterparts.

When using mods, is it then useless to use defence mods and preferable to use others?
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    Its a nonlinear increase in armor/resistance with diminishing returns. The more armor you already have, the less damage reduction each additional point gives you.

The "defense" stats are generaly considered underpowered. and they cant come remotely close to keeping up with the offensive increases you can get instead.
  • Options
    vector6000 wrote: »
    Manowar wrote: »

When using mods, is it then useless to use defence mods and preferable to use others?

Useless is a strong word. There is a case that can be made for defense mod sets above health mod sets for tank characters, but I think it is a rare one.

It's simple math to determine which is better. Every time I've run the numbers, health mods have come out on top in terms of raw survivability. I have one defense set on Nebit though.

Another factor to consider is penetration, where the attacker actually ignores a portion of the defender's armor/resistance. So the case for defense sets is further weakened there.
  • Options
    medetec wrote: »
    The more armor you already have, the less damage reduction each additional point gives you.

I haven't heard that theory before. Do you have other sources?
  • Options
    Defense is useless
  • Options
    Defense is useless

I dunno. I just faced a maxed 5's with a huge defense boost (didn't get exact numbers) and he cut down my fotp's usual 6k hits to ~3500.
  • Options
    The % based defensive boosts are basically worthless. Ones that have a numerical boost are more valuable, although still don't provide much boost.