GTN aka: an Auction House

JediMindTricks
1077 posts Member
edited October 2016
I've played Swtor for going on 2 years now. It's a really great mmorpg. Now I'm juggling between Swtor and Swgoh. One thing I'd love to eventually see on this game would be an auction house. Players could add mods or gear of their choosing and set the prices they are willing to sell those items. This would allow people another way to buy gear and mods all while allowing the seller to have another way to make credits.

I'm sure this wouldn't be an easy thing to implement in Swgoh. But it sure would be nice to actually buy something without RNG being involved. Easy example would be for instance a full furnace drops from a raid..if you don't really need it then put it in the Galatic Trade Network(GTN) for a few million credits and wait for someone to buy it. Same can be done with mods or any pieces of gear. Once the item is purchased the credits appear in the sellers mail and the purchased item appears in the buyers mail. Really a simple concept.

I don't know, maybe this isn't a great idea for this game but if there was a way to buy/sell items and gear in this game to other people I would diffinitly do it.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Options
    Won't happen.

This is a mobile game built around in app purchases. Any development they do is going to have to have a way for them to keep the coffers flowing. Your idea only benefits the players. They want you to buy the mods and gear from them, not trade it amongst yourselves.
  • Options
    Would love to see it, but it would just enable the wallets to purchase the entire 2nd hand market, which is a shame, I would of liked to of seen something implanted where you could swap pieces of gear with team mates. which i guess you can do now. just a instant thing you know =]
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It could happen, they would probably charge a set crystal (or real money) amount for each transaction to make it work. It could just be a direct trade or buy with a small fee. Win-win for everyone. Someone sitting on like 800 furnace parts isn't benefiting anyone at the moment, especially EA's pocket. They just need a developer to get off his bum and build it.
  • Options
    wouldn't the issue be selling to your own alt character and giving yourself a massive leap on the alt ?
  • Options
    Won't happen.

This is a mobile game built around in app purchases. Any development they do is going to have to have a way for them to keep the coffers flowing. Your idea only benefits the players. They want you to buy the mods and gear from them, not trade it amongst yourselves.

You're right this will never happen. Buying and selling between players they'll never allow. Instead we are left with buying and selling to them. And the buying has this thing called RNG unfortunately.
    Darthpippa wrote: »
    wouldn't the issue be selling to your own alt character and giving yourself a massive leap on the alt ?

I guess people could do that too. I'm sure they probably would. I'm not sure how many people would risk putting a item in an auction at a really low price in order to get it on an alt because the chance of someone else buying it before you do could always happen.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    You don't think ppl would do that, it's the same risk as dropping in scrubs in a pvp tournament to build up points....

The would just lead to alt farming. No way around it, unless EA managed the pricing and sale of things and that wouldn't work, at all.
  • Options
    Ea has a similar set up in madden mobile...it is an AUCTION...all they would have to do is remove the buy it now price...in madden they have both but by it now is usually ridiculous...you couldn't really alt farm this way as it is an auction on a time...ie you set one furnace salvage in the auction with a 4 hour timer and a base starting bid of 2.5 mil credits as the auction counts down people bid highest bidder gets the item...now for whales it's possible but there would be so many of the same item on the market you go to the next..
  • Options
    Here is a way to prevent alt accounts
    In each shipment, you could buy market tokens, at a certain ratio at depending on the store.

Market tokens are like credits but can only be spent at the market.

At the market, you can sell things between 50% to 200% of its value in credits. Your items will go off sale after a week and you get 10% of the cost to buy your item. Every one could see only 25 items at a time and can refresh the items they see with 50 crystals. They can buy the items with either market tokens or credits and the seller gets 70% of the value in credits. The seller can also see how many people see their item in their store right now.

This way would prevent alt selling.
  • Options
    Not sure why anyone would even want to have alts on this game. Right now it takes 2 weeks to even get a level from 80 to 81 and that is with minimal refreshes.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    doesnt madden mobile have an auction house?
  • Options
    djvita wrote: »

Yes it does that was my example...it would be nearly impossible to buy with an alt because people actually bid...you could do it I. Goh...I would just drop the buy it now completely...that way if your not the highest bidder you don't get it...Madden also takes 10 percent of the credits you get (card sells for 10000 you only get 9000)
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options
    C3pain0 wrote: »

Yes it does that was my example...it would be nearly impossible to buy with an alt because people actually bid...you could do it I. Goh...I would just drop the buy it now completely...that way if your not the highest bidder you don't get it...Madden also takes 10 percent of the credits you get (card sells for 10000 you only get 9000)

Not the same system whatsoever. Madden releases new cards weekly, getting higher in overall scores throughout a season. And their inventory is orders of magnitudes greater than SWGOH's.
  • Options
    Zooey wrote: »

Not the same system whatsoever. Madden releases new cards weekly, getting higher in overall scores throughout a season. And their inventory is orders of magnitudes greater than SWGOH's.

Right but a similar system would work for this as well. Auction screen has a tab for mods,gear,toon shards each tab has 10-20 items that can be refreshed..timers for each item are visible and it's a live auction for whatever item..highest bidder gets it...the size of the games inventory as you say has no bearing on that as there are enough people playing this game that need this gear or that mod etc...could alleviate whatever crunch you are facing...ea/cg could profit with crystal refreshes for item list with refreshes similar to shard shop...seems like a win for everyone..
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options

Right but a similar system would work for this as well. Auction screen has a tab for mods,gear,toon shards each tab has 10-20 items that can be refreshed..timers for each item are visible and it's a live auction for whatever item..highest bidder gets it...the size of the games inventory as you say has no bearing on that as there are enough people playing this game that need this gear or that mod etc...could alleviate whatever crunch you are facing...ea/cg could profit with crystal refreshes for item list with refreshes similar to shard shop...seems like a win for everyone..

The size of the inventory matters because there's much less variety for people to trade. Pretty soon, you'll fill up on everything you need from the auction. Madden works because there's so much more to collect and EA is releasing so much new content that it's nearly impossible for someone to get saturated. With an auction system for SWGOH, they'll be significantly diluting their future returns.
  • Options

The size of the inventory matters because there's much less variety for people to trade. Pretty soon, you'll fill up on everything you need from the auction. Madden works because there's so much more to collect and EA is releasing so much new content that it's nearly impossible for someone to get saturated. With an auction system for SWGOH, they'll be significantly diluting their future returns.

I guess I see your point there....well then maybe limit the number of items you could see and make refreshes increase in Crystal cost (like energy)...mods is where I think this would be a big thing...but what if you could only see say 5 different mods refresh for 100 crystals then 200 etc...this could be interesting for ea/cg as then you would also have rng involved...and they love rng...
  • Options
    They could allow credits or crystals and take a 10% cut off the top
  • Options
    Daryth wrote: »
    They could allow credits or crystals and take a 10% cut off the top

It would have to be credits so even f2p could be involved...but crystals to post items and to refresh page...10% taken from credits after auction.
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Options
    No its not an MMORPG
  • Options
    Saraleb wrote: »
    No its not an MMORPG

Neither is madden mobile...they have an auction house...
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Options
    No its not an MMORPG

Was a comment to the OP who stated "Its a really great mmorpg"
  • Options
    No its not an MMORPG

oh gotcha...yeah this really isnt an mmorpg...
  • Options
    We already have an auction house, it's called a "tournament".
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    We already have an auction house, it's called a "tournament".

lol couldnt be more right...
  • Options
    I logged in to Swtor the other day, after 9 months, just to finish story. They have totally ruined that game.
  • Options
    No its not an MMORPG

I never said Swgoh was an Mmorpg, I was talking about Swtor how that is a really great mmorpg.

Swgoh might not be a mmorpg by most standards. But it is basically a card collecting RPG. You have tanks, healers damage dealers, gear, stats, mods,raids,different characters to play, levels, pvp, playing with others, chat text, guilds etc. The only thing missing is a huge virtual world to explore. But that wasn't the intent of my post "to decide if Swgoh is an mmorpg or not".

This game has just about everything that most mmorpgs have, with the exception of a auction house to buy and sell to other players.
  • Options
    This a really great idea OP, unfortunately, this is a mobile game that functions financially off of RNG-based micro-purchasing. If there were to be an AH then that would take the selling power from EA/CG causing them to lose money. The reason AH's are usually present in MMO games is because you pay a sub price, so they are making money regardless.
  • Options
    I used to play swfc,i was a big spender in that game,the trading system was kinda cool,but here we could have shard trading,you post what you have for trade,then others could search what they are looking for and make an offer to you,and you can either decline to accept,or even ask for sweeteners.
    Any ideas to improve?
    where is darth jar jar?