Is General Kenobi the "clone/jedi fix"?

CookieCrispp
555 posts Member
edited October 2016
Short version:
If General Kenobi is supposed to be the clone/Jedi healer fix, can we buy him instead of gating him in raids? Seems silly to limit a fix for two very underrepresented factions.

My assumptions:
- at top end competitive, whale v whale arena, neither clones nor Jedi are truly competitive.
- CG likes making money
- Most "serious" clone players are whales, due to the premium location of 3 of 5 currently released clones.

The first part of this is a simple question for the playerbase/devs:

Is General Kenobi designed to act as a leader to make clones/Jedi/hybrid teams competitive in arena?

I think generally (haha) speaking, most of us would agree that he is the most current attempt to bring these two factions some much needed competitive edge. He brings to the table something neither faction has had: a taunt. Moreover, he clearly is designed to augment the low hp of clones and to provide much needed cost effectiveness for Jedi heals.

So, why is this fix hidden behind what can only be described as a prestige gate (for now)?
I understand the desire to make powerful and gamechanging characters rare and unique.
I understand the desire to make a rare character actually gamechanging (compared to the lackluster GG who is now cut from droid teams and the raid Han who is very situational at best).
I am just confused as to why what is probably a "fix" for two very popular factions is so gated.

It is not too late to basically print money CG. No one has a raid Kenobi yet. If you were to release him as a premium character (instead of or parallel to raid rewards), nothing but gains would be made.
I assert that:
- players would flock towards this fan favorite (with many spending 200-300 per new chromium or aurodium toon)
- this may lead to additional sales through additional chromium purchases to finish out clone teams and/or Jedi packs
- this may in fact create additional "meta" teams, potentially even replacing some Rex leads
- this will probably also produce an increase in immediate crystal sales as players focus on gearing their new character
- this will probably offset some, if not most, of the ill will regarding the monotony of the new raid (in a non heroic, non exploited form)

I assume that the reason for his gating was to encourage raid related spending/gearing, as well as to encourage the "chase" for heroic raids. I just don't understand how a fix should be so gated. If this was a character with similar roles or a gimmick, I would understand. This is akin to AA, Lando, or Wedge as the rancor reward, instead of gimmicky Han.

TLDR:
Is Kenobi the Clone/Jedi fix?
If so, why is he gated behind raid rewards?
Take our money CG, we would love to buy the fix, nothing but positives will come from selling Kenobi.

Edit: please feel free to comment if you think that Kenobi is not the Jedi/Clone fix, or if you would be happy to purchase him. Input, and our voices, are what matters here.
Post edited by CookieCrispp on

Replies

• Options
    I know that I for one would invest for the chance at a moderately competitive clone squad without the immersion breaking Sun Fac or B2 on my side.
  • Options
    Is General Kenobi designed to act as a leader to make clones/Jedi/hybrid teams competitive in arena?
    I'll answer when I unlock him, in a year or so. ;)

• Options
    I think he kind of is, but he still doesn't fix Cody
  • Options
    +1
  • Options
    JJWZP5 wrote: »
    I think he kind of is, but he still doesn't fix Cody

I think GK fixes a couple issues, need a taunt, but it for sure does not fix Cody. Stealthing him doesn't protect him from Wedge, Lando, or JKA. The Clones need some luv still.
  • Options
    Take our money CG, we would love to buy the fix, nothing but positives will come from selling Kenobi.

Assuming he is, there's a solid reason why he's behind the raid gate. Because instead of you buying a single character, you have to buy a whole bunch of characters and gear in order to compete in the raid and unlock him.

• scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

Assuming he is, there's a solid reason why he's behind the raid gate. Because instead of you buying a single character, you have to buy a whole bunch of characters and gear in order to compete in the raid and unlock him.

There you go. This is your answer OP. Buy away!
  • Options

Sad, but true.
  • Options
    Perhaps, assuming one can actually acquire him.
  • Chillbro69
    5 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Post edited by Chillbro69 on