Is Life Steal Balanced?

So this is one thing that I rarely see discussed in the forums, but it does have an impact on how the game is played and I think it's a fairly obvious source of imbalance if you actually look at some of the numbers. I understand why life steal was introduced to the game and it was to make attackers who were strong but otherwise slow and squishy more viable by giving them greater survivability. However, I cant help but feel like outside of the handful of characters that this applied to (i.e. Assaj, Ahsoka, Maul, IG-88), they applied the rest of the life steal numbers outside of that group pretty haphazardly and that they eventually just got bored and started pulling numbers out of a hat. This is what I'm talking about:

Phasma (beefcake, very strong support skillset)--30% lifesteal
QGJ (fast, somewhat squishy, very very strong support skillset)--0%
Rey (very fast, squishiness mitigated by foresight, best single target attacker in game)--10%
Geonosian Soldier (very fast, decent health, very strong single target attacker)--0%
Vader (loads of health, amazing single target attack if set up well)--15%
Mob Enforcer (lots of health too, useless outside of cantina shop)--also 15%
Stormtrooper Han (taunts, comparable to normal Stormtrooper but more health and utility)--15%
Normal Stormtrooper (comparable to Stormtrooper Han but less health and utility)--0%
Fives (beefcake, same skillset at First Order Stormtrooper but more health and counters)--15%
First Order Stormtrooper (same skillset as Fives but less health and counters)--5%
Teebo (great for old raid, situational outside of it)--25%
Ugnaught (I hear he's good for new raid?)--0%
Mace Windu--0%
Plo Koon--0%
Eeth Koth--0%
Boba Fett--0%
UrorRrorWhatever--0%

Lando Calrissian--15% (I saved the most egregious example of imbalance for last). Despite having no healing abilities anywhere near his description, here's a character capable of self-healing for up to 50-60% of his max health off a move that single-handedly wrecks your entire team.

I can't help but think that outside of the implementation of protection, that this is the single biggest reason why healers aren't viable in arena anymore. When your best DPS characters are capable of throwing down a strong self heal by causing strong damage, then there's no reason to put in an AOE healer who's average to terrible outside of that one utility.

I'm not calling for a nerf on life steal; however, I do believe they should relook at some of these numbers to make things more balanced. I don't think characters should be able to heal themselves back from near dead to green health in one or two moves without having the healing part be written into their description or have self-heal be part of their utility.

Replies

• Options
    I think the issue isnt the health steal its that damage numbers are out of control...

Rey does 30+k hits, landos first aoe 7k (?? Idk, i run him but i rarely pay attention), whereas a maxed out lumi can heal for what? Less than 10k?

Healers occupy a spot that could be filled with a dps toon...

Selfheal doesnt have much of an impact (even on lando which can go from barely alive to almost full hp) when the next attack to hit that character deals upwards of 15k damage
  • Options
    I wish dooku had LS =(
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    not sure why this "imballance" bothers you, it hardly has an impact while playing.
    I understand why life steal was introduced to the game and it was to make attackers who were strong but otherwise slow and squishy more viable by giving them greater survivability....

...Lando Calrissian--15% (I saved the most egregious example of imbalance for last). Despite having no healing abilities anywhere near his description, here's a character capable of self-healing for up to 50-60% of his max health off a move that single-handedly wrecks your entire team.

doesn't lando fit that discribtion? He is a slow and squishy attacker.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Lifesteal is an important part of the game but you do rightly bring up some issues - it's just that you're focusing on the wrong problem. Health is generally so low that even if you fully heal in one turn, that entire bar of health is gone the next turn because Rey, lando or Wiggs have done a single hit on you. Add to that the problem mentioned about healers giving Max 10k health and that is why healing is useless.

The reason you never hear complaints about health steal is because it is just as irrelevant as healing.
  • Options
    @leef I think he's talking about the Wiggs/Lando trio.. Where Wedges leader grants that healing for Lando. So technically correct that Lando doesn't have self heal ability but bestowed upon by the mighty Rebel armada :P
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options
    For arena, life steal is hardly an issue since protection was introduced. If life steal regenerated protection, then it would matter for pvp. It is rather substantial for the new raid though.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Tangentially related to topic, but I feel one of the reasons healing is useless is because the cooldowns are too long. Outside of a raid, if a healer is left alive long enough to heal, they pretty much get to do it once.
  • Options
    And don't forget the almighty fun sac, whose counterattacks negate the damage you dealt on him. And.... he has a hp stealing attack