(UPDATED) New players' concerns about always being massively behind

Prev1
Sweven
58 posts Member
edited October 2016
My friends introduced me to this game in late September, all 7 of us are level 60-62 and in one guild. The concern is that every event/raid we feel massively behind as we currently have 5-6 toons with 4* or 5*, not to mention that now farming for a 3rd or 4th Rebel toon for the coming event is unrealistic as we are F2P. (Will a newly activated 2* Leia or Biggs be able to compete? I'm not sure)
We can't be the only ones as I'm sure there are thousands of new players who started playing a couple of months ago. The question is simple for now, should we even bother in trying to continue playing the game knowing that we'll always be several steps behind?

All replies have my thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Thanks to everyone who replied, a lot of very good and useful information here. Hopefully everyone who replied gets to see this message of thanks.

So we bought the scoundrels pack today (we all work in the same office, so I was able to share this info with them) but all of us were pretty disappointed with the contents of the pack as 6 out of 7 of us just got to activate a 2* Greedo (haha yes, he's useless and we couldn't do anything but laugh).

I do really like this game, its the first game I've played on a daily basis (aside from FIFA). I accept that having joined the game late we'll always be behind in most aspects, but there should be something about the daily login characters passed. Like Anakin, I see his usefulness and would love him on my Jedi squad but I'd have to spend weeks just to get the 80 shards to activate him and then go on about leveling him up. That's the frustrating part really. Other great login characters passed too, like Wedge who looks like a huge asset.

I enjoy the game play and the strategy of it all, so I'll continue to play (I'm sure my friends will too) but we are all professionals working for an advertising firm where winning is a daily job requirement to stay above our rival firms. Losing or feeling inadequate in the game on a daily basis does get demoralizing when you're made to accept that "NO! You can't!"

Again, thanks to everyone who replied. I really enjoyed reading the posts and printed out all the useful information. Cheers!
Post edited by Sweven on

Replies

• Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Options
    Have fun playing the LS/DS/Cantina battles... challenges and GW
    You are actually in a fun phase of the game of lvling up chars and progressing rather than hitting grinds you get later on

Unfortunately its been clear for some time and this new raid just cements it that all events are only designed for the higher teir player base
  • Options
    This game isn't friendly to newer players, this game is centered on old whales... it gets better (or not as bad) as time goes by.
    G.luck
  • Options
    Malthael wrote: »
    it gets better (or not as bad) as time goes by.
    G.luck

No it doesn't.
    If you are F2P at endgame, you enter the most annoying phase.
    Personally enjoyed the game much more when I was in early levels (able to be in top 10 arena players, etc).
  • Aglardae
    188 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    In this game stronger players keep getting stronger. They always get the best rewards which makes them even stronger. Even in a guild you have to compete to get on top, not much of a team spirit there. So it is quite hard for a new player to fit in, unless you work on a META team (see below).

Only one thing to know about SW galaxy of heroes in its current state. This is a SPEED race. In the top arena rank you will see players with high level speed characters (200+) or with Speed enhancement combos. Don't even bother working on slow characters as you will find the opposing team characters playing 3 turns before your slower characters and wipe them out to oblivion before you had the chance to tap any button. There is no strategy in this game in the high end. You need speed and DPS that is all. Even in raids. Raid NPCs are fast and you have to be faster than them and hit hard to get a decent score.

If you farm a droid team with a jawa engineer to boost their turn meter and critical damage it will guaranty you a top 5 rank in raids and a high rank in arena.

The SPEED is what makes the game unbalanced and boring and that is what you have to aim at with Mods. Mods with Speed as main stats and mostly as a secondary stat are the one you should treasure to succeed in this game format.

And you level up this game turns from exciting to tedious.You will find it hard to gear your character as the purple items are hard to farm and you need a LOT of them. Same for character shards as you need 7 star characters to be competitive in all aspects of the game.

It will take you months of tedious farming to get near the top.

Enjoy...
  • Options
    There's like 4 phases of the game.

Lvl 1 to 30:
    You're leveling up rather regularly, getting tons of free energy, finding new chars and gearing the with a few fights of effort. You start liking this game.
    The darkside has not yet revealed itself.
    Lvl 30 to 60:
    You're unlocking most of the games content and have fun trying out Arena, GW and Mod Challenges.
    At this point you realize, that you have 0 useful squads for the challenges, consistently fail at beating the next node in whatever light/dark side you enter and start figuring out teams to focus on.
    You also see a bunch of events that sound cool, which you can't enter though and just watch them move by.
    The darkside lurks.
    Lvl 60 to 80:
    You grind for gear and shards to build up teams for GW, Arena, Challenges, Raids and Events. Every day you struggle to decide, which one should be the priority. You at some point you opt for Rebels to beat Credit Heist and a solid Arena Team which you can also use in GW
    The darkside hits you in the face.
    Lvl 80+:
    You accept, that the darkside is greedy af and just focus on building a Rebelsquad, while getting meta chars leveled for Arena, GW and Raids.
    You hate every single character that demands Furnaces, Stun Cuffs and every other piece of Gear that says 0/50 next to it.
    You log in regularly, do your dailies in less than 20 minutes and spend the rest of the day grinding gear and shards. You also get slapped in the face by the darkside which consitently throws more walls at you.
    At this point you mostlikely have your routine and barely care anymore, bwcause whatever comes is probably not useable by you anyway, as you lack that squad. No problem, will only take 3 months to level/star/gear those chars you need this time.
  • RedXVIISpence
    249 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Aglardae wrote: »
    In this game stronger players keep getting stronger. They always get the best rewards which makes them even stronger. Even in a guild you have to compete to get on top, not much of a team spirit there. So it is quite hard for a new player to fit in, unless you work on a META team (see below).

Only one thing to know about SW galaxy of heroes in its current state. This is a SPEED race. In the top arena rank you will see players with high level speed characters (200+) or with Speed enhancement combos. Don't even bother working on slow characters as you will find the opposing team characters playing 3 turns before your slower characters and wipe them out to oblivion before you had the chance to tap any button. There is no strategy in this game in the high end. You need speed and DPS that is all. Even in raids. Raid NPCs are fast and you have to be faster than them and hit hard to get a decent score.

If you farm a droid team with a jawa engineer to boost their turn meter and critical damage it will guaranty you a top 5 rank in raids and a high rank in arena.

The SPEED is what makes the game unbalanced and boring ans that is what you have to aim at with Mods. Mods with Speed as main stats and mostly as a secondary stat are the one you should treasure to succeed in this game format.

And you level up this game turns from exciting to tedious.You will find it hard to gear your character as the purple items are hard to farm and you need a LOT of them. Same for character shards as you need 7 star characters to be competitive in all aspects of the game.

Enjoy...
    So true, im not aure when i started playing, but its been prolly 10-11 months. And im there, and f2p, its sooo tedious. Like trying to gear wedge and biggs at the same time... Need 100's of the same purple mats, whether it be syringes, cuffs etc..

i have around 22-25 7* toons, with only about half of them viable.(above gear 9-10)Because of picking and choosing whom to gear.. Be careful when choosing. Plan ahead.
  • Options
    CoReTeX wrote: »
    There's like 4 phases of the game.

Lvl 1 to 30:
    You're leveling up rather regularly, getting tons of free energy, finding new chars and gearing the with a few fights of effort. You start liking this game.
    The darkside has not yet revealed itself.
    Lvl 30 to 60:
    You're unlocking most of the games content and have fun trying out Arena, GW and Mod Challenges.
    At this point you realize, that you have 0 useful squads for the challenges, consistently fail at beating the next node in whatever light/dark side you enter and start figuring out teams to focus on.
    You also see a bunch of events that sound cool, which you can't enter though and just watch them move by.
    The darkside lurks.
    Lvl 60 to 80:
    You grind for gear and shards to build up teams for GW, Arena, Challenges, Raids and Events. Every day you struggle to decide, which one should be the priority. You at some point you opt for Rebels to beat Credit Heist and a solid Arena Team which you can also use in GW
    The darkside hits you in the face.
    Lvl 80+:
    You accept, that the darkside is greedy af and just focus on building a Rebelsquad, while getting meta chars leveled for Arena, GW and Raids.
    You hate every single character that demands Furnaces, Stun Cuffs and every other piece of Gear that says 0/50 next to it.
    You log in regularly, do your dailies in less than 20 minutes and spend the rest of the day grinding gear and shards. You also get slapped in the face by the darkside which consitently throws more walls at you.
    At this point you mostlikely have your routine and barely care anymore, bwcause whatever comes is probably not useable by you anyway, as you lack that squad. No problem, will only take 3 months to level/star/gear those chars you need this time.
    You forgot grinding GW for hours
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    Just enjoy the game while it's purely a game. You will have time enough to suffer the grinds and to pray just for a 12th joke node on your GW.
  • Options
    As a ftp player they don't care what you do.
    But Don't worry about new raid it is mind numbingly boring and the rewards after the days of trying to do it are just crap.
  • Options
    I've said it many times before, this game is not new player friendly.
    Devs are bad at making balance for lower levels so they don't have to farm the same amount of time we did.

Gearwise or level wise there could be some help for new players but they just give them a big finger.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    Aglardae wrote: »

The SPEED is what makes the game unbalanced and boring and that is what you have to aim at with Mods. Mods with Speed as main stats and mostly as a secondary stat are the one you should treasure to succeed in this game format.

Enjoy...

I totally agree. These are the reasons I can no longer recommend this game to anyone. It's a real shame since I see so much potential here being wasted
  • vector6000
    236 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The thing is its enticing at first, like an MMO.
    But then you realise what the guy above said. You realise the depth of this game.
    TBH there is a wall that F2P people can't really breach.

No way to have these speed mods as F2P.
    No way to get all these meta characters.
    Difficult to get the equipment to XI and beyond.

For me the worst thing being F2P is the grind to get a character (you absolutely need) to 7 stars. Especially as you usually need a character from Cantina (not GW and arena) and these take forever. I think a full month of daily grind is needed, if not more, to get a cantina character to 7* (currently working on Wedge, who will probably be obsolete when I max him out). Even more insane are the characters requiring 16 cantina energy per sim (Anakin, etc).

I mean the key to this game is being a whale and just purchasing those massive boxes of crystals and nice shipments (mod shipment, character cards, etc).
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Options
    All valid points but it really depends on what drives you....

If you dont want to jump on the race to be at the top.... not fussed that all your chars will ever be maxed out or unlocked and top 50 arena is just happy for you then the game is fine

Im in a heroic lvl guild (Rancor not AAT) we clear every other day and I have a really decent roster of toons and lvls, im top 25ish in arena... do I want to get better hell yeah and I still have room to do it but in this game it gets to a point where you hit a brick wall and you will just watch either others pass you by or you look on at all the gear etc that just wont ever be obtainable
  • Options
    Sweven wrote: »
    The concern is that every event/raid we feel massively behind as we currently have 5-6 toons with 4* or 5*, not to mention that now farming for a 3rd or 4th Rebel toon for the coming event is unrealistic as we are F2P. (Will a newly activated 2* Leia or Biggs be able to compete? I'm not sure)
    We can't be the only ones as I'm sure there are thousands of new players who started playing a couple of months ago. The question is simple for now, should we even bother in trying to continue playing the game knowing that we'll always be several steps behind?

I'm F2P and started in April.

There are really only two spots you are behind -- universal events, and raids. Universal events you will eventually catch up to. For example, once you've completed T7 of the Yoda event, it's done. You will miss some, but they will also eventually come back. Palpatine I missed the first time through. Now I have team ready for when the event comes back.

Raids you are behind in, but again, you will eventually catch up to raids. When my guild started doing T7 Rancor, I could manage probably about 150k in damage (and this was after playing for over four months). This past weekend, I put up about 2.5m. So you will advance.

Your arena shard is based on when you join, and your squad tournament server should be based on level as well, if it follows suit. So it's really just these universal events and raids. And you can focus on working on squads for those if you want to.
    TBH there is a wall that F2P people can't really breach.
    No way to have these speed mods as F2P.
    No way to get all these meta characters.
    Difficult to get the equipment to XI and beyond.

You can have speed mods, it just takes time and patience. I currently have my STHan modded to 199 speed. Not the best in my arena, but fast enough to keep me in the top 20, with an occasional top 10 finish. You can have meta characters -- I run a Wiggs team, which is very in the meta right now. There are a couple of P2P characters (Rex, Sun Fac), who can be had F2P at a very slow pace. The gear issue I fully agree with you on. That part is a major grind.
  • Options
    I have to agree with the OP. This game does not scale down well for new players. All of the new content that is added is designed for top end players. The devs need to create some additional mid level and beginning level content.
    An example could be an event designed for level 60, 5*, G7, 1dot mods that releases a new character like Nikto (from ROTJ, look it up if you don't know who). Not a high demand character right, but it encourages mid level players to be excited about the game. Otherwise they watch all of the events pass them by and eventually they will say, "Nuts to this. I'm playing DC Legends."
    Profitablity comes from consumer engagement. Engagement comes from participation.
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    Options
    The game is good, sell your car and get Rex. Don't tell anyone in real life what happened.
  • Options
    ^lols
  • Options
    Don't expect much. I truly enjoy the game but it leaves you disappointed after awhile.
  • Dyakoff
    284 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Look, if you've been playing for a whole month and havent
    a) secured permanent 1-3 place in arena
    b) farmed at least 2 decent 7*
    then you are playing it wrong.
    F2P doesnt matter in the beginning.
  • Options
    Wrote this about heroes, but part of it pertains to gameplay as well...
    "Great men are forged in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame" - The War Doctor

We have many iconic heroes in game, some start out powerful, others rise to the occasion. Whatever the case, don't let popular opinion color your decision to obtain, level and play whatever hero you desire. It's your team, it's your time to enjoy. If they are made lesser over time, age comes for us all. New heroes will take up their cause, the battle never ends.

Ok, sounds a bit over the top? What, you came here for reality? Is that your real name above your avatar? Probably not. This is fantasy. Reality is for those that cannot handle fantasy. This is freaking Star Wars man. If you go for that shiny new hero, do so for the right reasons. Will they always defeat all comers? No. And that's ok. Rinse and repeat is only for hair care, not galactic battles.

Just remember, if you like the hero, and their story, get them for your collection. If you want to unlock Boba Fett, do it. If You want an all Night Sister team, do it. Whatever makes you happy, and enjoy your time in game, that is what you need to do. Patience young Padawan. All heroes will be within your grasp eventually. Sure, build strong teams, but have fun doing it. If anyone wants to laugh or make fun, who the hell cares. We're in a Galaxy far far away, enjoy it. Revel in it. Take your time, it's not a race. You don't need tons of money, you just need your imagination. That is still free.

MTFBWY

• Options
    I'm a level 81 f2p player, I've been playing since febuary and I would recommend that you continue to play, but don't expect to be competitive for a while. Just have fun starring and gearing character while it's still easy, then once you progress focus on teams for teams raids, and arena, the events are also fun but don't stress about getting those limited characters because eventually they'll become free, or you'll get good enough to go after them when the event comes back. It's a grind but its all for fun anyway so it's okay.

Also the game hasn't stopped being fun for me yet, gear is super tough to get (stun cuffs, furnaces, scanners, hairdryers) but your characters also get so much stronger, my arena power just hit 40k and I will sometimes use my precious limited crystals to refresh because it's so much fun to see what my toons can do now.
  • Options
    You can have speed mods, it just takes time and patience. I currently have my STHan modded to 199 speed. Not the best in my arena, but fast enough to keep me in the top 20, with an occasional top 10 finish. You can have meta characters -- I run a Wiggs team, which is very in the meta right now. There are a couple of P2P characters (Rex, Sun Fac), who can be had F2P at a very slow pace. The gear issue I fully agree with you on. That part is a major grind.

The main thing is we are talking about mods with speed as primary category, right? Because Speed category mods (needing resistance to unlock) are pretty much useless the way I see it. Now about mods with speed as primary or secondary attribute: Primary one you need an Arrow with speed. To be honest already getting an Arrow in itself is a HUUUUGE gamble. And to get that Speed arrow is madness, when you consider SPEED and TRIANGLE have the most options for primary attribute.

Now about secondary attributes...I guess you could land that on any mod, so the chance is higher. But still I think for having a speed advantage you need the SPEED ARROW mod.

For some reason, I believe the chance of getting left-side mods (circle, rectangle, diamond) is higher than right side, and chance of getting speed arrow (triangle mods also are very lucky to have) is very difficult.

I think it makes much more sense to outright buy that when it pops up in the mods shipments, usually only purchasable with crystals.

• Options
    vector6000 wrote: »
    The main thing is we are talking about mods with speed as primary category, right? Because Speed category mods (needing resistance to unlock) are pretty much useless the way I see it. Now about mods with speed as primary or secondary attribute: Primary one you need an Arrow with speed. To be honest already getting an Arrow in itself is a HUUUUGE gamble. And to get that Speed arrow is madness, when you consider SPEED and TRIANGLE have the most options for primary attribute.

Now about secondary attributes...I guess you could land that on any mod, so the chance is higher. But still I think for having a speed advantage you need the SPEED ARROW mod.

For some reason, I believe the chance of getting left-side mods (circle, rectangle, diamond) is higher than right side, and chance of getting speed arrow (triangle mods also are very lucky to have) is very difficult.

I think it makes much more sense to outright buy that when it pops up in the mods shipments, usually only purchasable with crystals.

Correct. Not talking about speed set mods. I have several arrows with speed primary stats -- a few 5 dot, a 4 dot, and several 1-3 dots. I also have a number of mods with speed secondaries, with at least one of those as high as 14, and several double digit ones. It's a combination of luck and patience. I generally buy any 5 dot mod in my shipments (for credits only, I don't buy any mods with crystals) that has a speed secondary, or arrow that has a speed primary. Sometimes the secondary goes up, sometimes it doesn't. But it does take time, and recognizing that you might not have matched sets on people, which is less important in the speed race depending on the character.
  • Options
    I'll give you a positive spin.

Lots of us started well after the game had launched. We were all behind for some period of time. Like you are experiencing, it seemed like I would never catch up. Tons of events I couldn't take part in, raids, arena, etc.

You will get there. It is very possible in this game to catch up on a lot of these things. Pick the most rewarding event you see and start building those characters for it. Then find other events where there is some cross over and move to that one, etc.
    Build an arena team out of the best of those characters and always be looking to upgrade it.
    Join a guild ASAP and start taking part in the raids.
    There is lots of advice in the forums about which characters are best for different events and for the raids. Your guild may have some more experienced players as well who can help. Some of the advice won't apply to you yet, but don't let that discourage you. Focus on one bite at a time and try to use as much intelligence as you can when making decisions. When I started I decided that I wanted yoda so I built Jedi. I could have been much smarter as yoda wasn't that good and I was stuck with a weak Jedi arena team for a long time. Don't make those mistakes!

Since I started playing, there is now the credit heist to help you earn credits faster, raids and new challenge levels let you get better gear faster, etc. Plus level caps give neeer players a chance to catch up. You might now reach level 85 before the cap is raised again, but you will be a lot closer than you are now and you will catch up eventually.
  • Options
    Early on the game is way more enjoyable. Be thankful you have something to do right now and to look forward to. If they hadn't added new stages in the battles and cantina a lot of people would be done. The daily grind is boring. After reaching level 82, normal light side battles took me all of 10 minutes or whatever the time was to walk through them. The hard mode is at least a challenge for now.

Eventually, you will hit that wall as a f2p player. If you like the guys you are playing with, keep at it. That at least makes it fun. You can always make fun of people for having a bad run in a raid because the RNG just wasn't on your side for whatever reason or just chat it up on whatever topics you like.

My advice is look at guys in the top of the arena and see which players are farmable for free. Do one at a time. Level up, gear up and then move on. If not, you will end up with a 30 players at gear 8 and none of them will be strong enough to do anything. Better to have that group of 5 studs than 30 average toons.
  • Options
    kello_511 wrote: »
    There is lots of advice in the forums about which characters are best for different events and for the raids. Your guild may have some more experienced players as well who can help. Some of the advice won't apply to you yet, but don't let that discourage you. Focus on one bite at a time and try to use as much intelligence as you can when making decisions. When I started I decided that I wanted yoda so I built Jedi. I could have been much smarter as yoda wasn't that good and I was stuck with a weak Jedi arena team for a long time. Don't make those mistakes!

Since I started playing, there is now the credit heist to help you earn credits faster, raids and new challenge levels let you get better gear faster, etc. Plus level caps give neeer players a chance to catch up. You might now reach level 85 before the cap is raised again, but you will be a lot closer than you are now and you will catch up eventually.

This. The biggest mistake I made when I started was spreading my resources thin. When I started getting advice from some guildmates, I made plans and focused my resources. I jumped up very quickly.

And as @kello_511 said, you have credit heist and training droid smuggling tuned up much better than we did in the past. So there are ways you will be able to make progress faster than people who started months ago, which will help narrow the gap.
  • Options
    Hobnob wrote: »
    The game is good, sell your car and get Rex. Don't tell anyone in real life what happened.

Blame Obama
  • Options
    Hobnob wrote: »
    Thank you for this. I laughed so hard its started my day off right! :D
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    I've said it many times before, this game is not new player friendly.
    Devs are bad at making balance for lower levels so they don't have to farm the same amount of time we did.

Gearwise or level wise there could be some help for new players but they just give them a big finger.

For the sake of longevity the devs seriously need to consider making certain gear easier to farm. The fact that stun cuffs and stun guns are harder to obtain than Rancor raid gear is ridiculous.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    Whether you are F2P or P2W the game should be fun for you IF you heed some of the great advice given on here to new players.

You are in a shard with players that started the same time as you so as long as you can remain competitive in your shard in the Arena, then you can advance at a nice rate.

If you farm the right characters early (ie. Scoundrels for Credit Heist and/or Rebels if you want Palpatine) then you should have fun progressing.

The "grind" will be when you are trying to take your toons from gear 7 to gear 8 and on up. My advice: join a guild ASAP and get into Heroic Rancor raids ASAP. Even if you only have 1 7* toon, many guilds (including the one I am in) will take players into the guild as long as they do 600 tickets daily.

If you do Heroic Rancor raids early, you will see a rapid increase of raid gear you need to take toons from gears 8 to 10. Also will get a lot of extra credits, guild currency and Han shards.

I am level 82 and have been playing since February and I still enjoy the game a lot. Its a bit of a grind, but its also fun to progress and develop characters and gain new ones. Hope this helps.