What Ship Commander do I go for?

"The initial three Fleet Commanders will be:
•Admiral Ackbar
•Grand Moff Tarkin
•Mace Windu"

I have none of these.

What one would you all go for and why?

I know it's speculation at best, but give me your reasons why you would go for whoom even if it is for reasons other than ships?

Replies

• DarthBlartMC
    595 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm going for Ackbar, he is very serviceable on a rebel team, I can't stomach wasting shards on the other two
  • Options
    I'd say farm the one you'll use even outside of Ship battles, I'm going for AA bc I'm using a Rebel team and I personally like AA.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    If you have none, your best bet now is the one you can get 7*, or at least build up the fastest. We don't know when but they are coming soon.

I would base your choice on secondary use, do you need a rebel or empire for the challenges. Do you have palp? If not do you need a rebel there? AA has a place in the new raid, as do many dispellers. These are the things I consider when picking a toon.
  • Options
    If only one, probably discard Windu since he competes with more valuable farms in Cantina battles. Then it's down to Tarkin or AA from arena. AA is probably more versatile especially if you don't have EP 7 star yet. You could also look at whether you have more light or dark side characters who might end up as "crew" for fighter ships, etc. that's just kind of speculative though.
  • Options
    I had mace long before anyone knew he was utterly useless...got yoda in feb with him...just 7 starred ackbar this morning was working on him for rebels...and just going to start working on tarkin to have him and use for mod challeneges
  • Options
    AA it is then. He has the most shard set of them anyways. Still will be a long haul to get AA close to ready so I will farm Mace as a back up just in case he levels faster. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    I say moth tarkin. AA is currently better but they have been making empire a lot better recently. Also he controls the biggest fleet (movie wise)
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    Take this with a grain of salt but

With an event that unlocks palp needing all rebels it may be in the future that empire is needed for an unlock so I would be picking tarkin.

Especially with the empire meta is becoming really good
  • Options
    I'm working on AA & Mace currently, have Tarkin @ 7* already as I was farming him before the announcement as I'm light on empire toons. I'm only going after shards for them currently, I'll not bother with gear beyond 7 or levelling them until more is known about the actual ships mode, like team synergies etc.
  • Options
    I already have AA at 7* G9, and Tarkin unlocked. Don't have Mace at all, but not overly worried. I'm hoping AA will be sufficient to enjoy ships at launch, but if not I can get Tarkin up pretty quick.
  • Options
    I have all three, and as such have had to decide which to pump gear and mats into. Ackbar is by far the most versitile of the three. As one of only three toons with a cleanse, he is by far the best choice. Mace is a very quick farm but like all the jedi in this game besides Qui Gon and Anakin he isn't usable in most areas. Tarkin is a personal favorite of mine and one of the toons i see as highly undervalued by the player-base. But, unless your empire squad is in good shape I see focusing on him as more detrimental to performance in ships when it drops.
    So if you are in a position where you have to choose one to focus on and commit to I'd go for Ackbar. His overall usefullness and the amount of supportive toons around him makes him the ideal go to. So unless you are over half-way with farming Tarkin or Mace, Ackbar should be the choice.
  • Options
    Ackbar is a pain to gear up. I have him and Tarkin both at Gear IX currently and Ackbar to go from IX to X is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Ackbar. He is very good!
  • Options
    It's definitely AA or Tarkin. I had AA already, and was working on Tarkin before the announcement, as I needed him for the mod challenge. As others have said, AA is one of very few cleansers in the game. That makes him worthwhile regardless of ships. Tarkin is supposedly good, but I haven't used him at all yet. Since we don't really know anything about ships, AA is your safest bet. Even if he blows as a commander, he can be used elsewhere. Tarkin seems much more situational.
  • Options
    Ackbar simply because he is more useful elsewhere in the game and can effectively lead a Rebel squad for special events (like unlocking Emperor). HOWEVER, Imperial capital ships were arguably more powerful than Rebel ships, so Tarkin may be the better Fleet Commander for ships. But we don't know that yet for this game so ... Ackbar.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Options
    Has there been ANY information that levels/star/gear will even matter?

It is possible you just have to unlock and there could be 2 trees... regular and ships.
  • Options
    I'm going for Ackbar, he is very serviceable on a rebel team, I can't stomach wasting shards on the other two

Totally agree
  • Options
    Got AA @7, but not great gear wise.
    Tarkin @7 and pretty good gear long before he was going to be useful (always felt he deserved a good upgrade).
    Currently Mace at 5 and farming up just in case.

A big ? Is on the dynamics -
    Do you need just any commander?
    Or is Empire vs Rebel vs Jedi significantly different and the path they can go down?

What support ships can you use?
    Can they be used across the different commanders?
    How do Star levels, regular levels and gear come into play for both?

Ally Code 299-731-212
  • Options
    Twin wrote: »

Somewhere I saw that this would matter with ships, but can't find it right now.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    IDobaFett wrote: »
    Twin wrote: »

Somewhere I saw that this would matter with ships, but can't find it right now.

Yes in the preview information they put out on ships it says the more powerful the better. Or something to that effect. So I'm sure stars gear and lvl will play into how well the ship does.
  • Options
    I have all three, and as such have had to decide which to pump gear and mats into. Ackbar is by far the most versitile of the three. As one of only three toons with a cleanse, he is by far the best choice. Mace is a very quick farm but like all the jedi in this game besides Qui Gon and Anakin he isn't usable in most areas. Tarkin is a personal favorite of mine and one of the toons i see as highly undervalued by the player-base. But, unless your empire squad is in good shape I see focusing on him as more detrimental to performance in ships when it drops.
    So if you are in a position where you have to choose one to focus on and commit to I'd go for Ackbar. His overall usefullness and the amount of supportive toons around him makes him the ideal go to. So unless you are over half-way with farming Tarkin or Mace, Ackbar should be the choice.

One of three rooms with cleanse?!
    Ackbar, ewok elder, Rex, General kenobi, lobot.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    For me, I would let it be a faction thing, like do you prefer the look of imperial ships, or rebel ships. I didn't play much of the Jedi-era stuff so I'm not even sure what Mace drives or what it looks like.

I'd go Empire first, then Akbar. Although, it has seemed like Akbar is "more" useful than Tarkin in previous months. But like the galaxy, power in this game is always shifting, so don't let that be the only reason you choose one over another.

Gotta catch 'em all.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    Supercat wrote: »

One of three rooms with cleanse?!
    Ackbar, ewok elder, Rex, General kenobi, lobot.

Touchè, I never realized Lobot has a cleanse. Dunno how I missed that...but I wouldnt count Gen Kenobi yet. He's not really useable by a single person yet.
  • Options
    I don't think there is a "to go for" because they are all three from three diffrent fleets so you are gonna have everybody.

Im just happy I have Ackbar and Mace 7* already, still gonna finish nebit though
  • Options
    AA is also a safe bet if you have Wiggs since they should both be pilots and get some type of rebel synergy.
  • Options
    :s I am doing AA and I just hope I will be close to 7 or at it when it opens. Also farming Mace at the same time now. Go figure they went with 3 characters I always put on the back burner for other players. Who would have known? Praying I get lucky in player packs with one of them no matter what. Plus ships? Ugh I told my son no way they won't do ships or pods here, but he kept saying he was sure they would. Who is laughing now. He has GMF and AA lol. Going to school me.
  • Options
    I just hope tarkin is commander of the Death Star
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Of the initial 3, only 1 has any use outside of being a fleet commander and that is AA. Cleansers r few and far between. Can't go wrong w/ AA.