How is the tournament shard calculated?

Are you up against people of same starting time like arena?

Or based on your set defence squad power?

Or based on your top toon power like galactic war?

Asking because wondering if you should set defence as your best possible squad or like a defensive B team.

Replies

• lordson86
    264 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    (Accidental repost)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    No its not based on starting time like arena, this is a sore subject for those who had issues last tournament due to being setup with old whales that made it very hard to place.

No if it was based in defensive squad people would set scrubs to get an "easy" shard.

They said that the placing was based on the power of the top 5 toons, but that seems to be questionable based on what I've seen from the last tournament. Or there is a while range.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Your are placed on an open leaderboard when you set your defense team.

Last tournament a bunch in my guild joined at the same time and were all on the same leaderboard.
  • Options
    Based on the rewards structure it looks like level determines what kind of people you are grouped with, and starting time determines which specific people of that level you face. I know some people waited until halfway through the tournament to join, in the hopes of going up against only casual players, but from the one comment I saw it looked like after a certain point people may have just gotten stuck onto the bottom end of existing tournament shards.
  • Azn_sensashun
    137 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I also noticed in the last tournament that no matter how many times I won or lost the same teams I had to fight over and over. The same group of teams never changed. Stinks because I got to a certain point to where I couldn't beat anybody. So last half of tournament I could not move forward. I had to settle on trying to beat those same meta teams over and over.

Anyone experience this?
  • Options
    The first tournament definitely had a level component to it, and I'm pretty sure it's still around. I think they said there were separate tiers for 80+ based on gear level or something, but it wasn't very clear to me.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    Last tourney I was in a group with all Nov/Dec starters whereas I started late May. It was very 'balanced'.
  • Options
    I think it's when you set your defensive team (time based). You can test this by having a bunch of friends start at same time
  • Danbloo
    129 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think it's based 2-3+ shards merged that were created around the same time. I notice in my tournament, the same names of people in my arena pvp.
  • ReVenGe_in_MiNd
    596 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just hoard ally coins for a while, like don't spend any for the next few taunys until you have 1 million ally coins then BAM , steal the show.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    Just hoard ally coins for a while, like don't spend any for the next few taunys until you have 1 million ally coins then BAM , steal the show.

And then get 2nd to someone who hoarded 2m ally points :wink:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    Start date is something of a sore spot for me. Have only failed to complete about five GWs since starting in August, yet I can see player stats in the same tournament shard who have completed north of three times more GW battles than me. This implies they have likely unlocked all of the characters and hence have no other use for GW tokens other than ally points. The obvious other observation is that they likely have had three times as long to build up their roster. In addition, given my start date, Palpatine was impossible to obtain at a high star level, and mods had been nerfed...!