My Opinion on Ships..

So with the most recent data mine let me just say that I am beyond excited for the new content. This is supposed to be the biggest update to date and the data mine sure suggests it will be.

That being said I understand the frustration of many of you. The game already feels like a horrible grind for some (or most), but for me personally new content to work on is really exciting. At this point the game feels like a routine for me where most of my gameplay for the day can be accomplished in a very small amount of time. I am also by no means have any sort of roster that is close to being complete. My guild does not run heroic AAT raids, and my roster isn't even ready for one (Here's proof https://swgoh.gg/u/cryloren/).

I'm excited for this update and to see what it holds, and I completely welcome the new challenge it will bring. I am however curious to see how this will affect the player base. Nonetheless, raid on fellow players.

Replies

• Options
    If the current crystals and credits and gear are needed to enhance the ships segment, then it won't be good for the majority of the player base that cant beat the current heroic raid. People are already working on fleet commander toons like mace and GMT who are hamburger in the AAT grinder. Same resources put to an AAT relevant toon would be better spent, until the guild is farming heroic regularly.
  • Options
    danrussoa wrote: »
    If the current crystals and credits and gear are needed to enhance the ships segment, then it won't be good for the majority of the player base that cant beat the current heroic raid. People are already working on fleet commander toons like mace and GMT who are hamburger in the AAT grinder. Same resources put to an AAT relevant toon would be better spent, until the guild is farming heroic regularly.

I agree with that. I didn't really dive too deeply into the code but from the way the Reddit post described it it will be a whole different set of challenges, achievements, etc. which makes me hopeful this will at least use different energy. That being said our luck it will require cantina energy
  • Options
    So it'll be the same as light/dark battles?

In other words I'll do them once, then sim through for the rest of eternity. Okay. I'm fine with that, so long as there isn't a Ship Batle Galactic War. I already spend 45 minutes on the regular one, another 45 minutes will be too much for one game. But, otherwise, okay. Fine with me.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    i'm excited too =D
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Opinions on ships, at this point, are too strong either way. We haven't seen anything yet. It sounds like a lot, but only time will tell if it really is. And perhaps some of the characters with cantina shards will also be available in ship battles, making it a dual path to get them. I'd say that would certainly make sense for toons like TFP.

As for the complaint about people farming toons for ships that aren't worthwhile in the AAT.....that is a choice up to each player. Many of us are sending at least one team of fodder to the tank already. Perhaps one of these toons is an upgrade to the fodder. But as you mention, most of them are farmed from the same source already. Outside of StH, I'm not sure anyone in arena shop is needed for the AAT. Perhaps Leia, but she also adds TM to the bosses, so she can be a hindrance.

I'm optimistic about ships. Many of my favorite characters are listed as being pilots. And I love the ship battles from the movies, so outside of lightsabers, this is an aspect of the cannon I really enjoy. I'm not ready to farm Mace for it or anything, but time will tell on that. Let's give it a chance, prepare what you can, and blast away at a tank in the meantime.
  • Options
    I agree this is to much too soon, this needed to wait. New player cap that most have not even hit yet that has a whole bunch of new gear that most have not even started to receive yet. On top of that the new raid is still very new and a lot have not even finished it a handful of times. So they are grinding hard already to get the toons needed to complete that. Then the tourney has only been done twice so and huge time grind. All the new toons coming out due to Rouge one and events for that, plus all the omega events they are doing. Why do we need something else. I hope this gets pushed back until Feb next year or late Jan as Rogue One starts to die down, that will bring the interest back up. In the meantime if you really want to keep interest up bring back the Emperor/Military Might events plus you have these tournaments going.

I not going to say that ship are bad, they could be a lot of fun. I just think its to much all at the same time and need to be spaced out more. I hope its more just an extra table like mods but more independent, not almost double of what we are currently doing.

Im all for another place to use our toons, not another game.
  • Options
    Tkoch94 wrote: »
    So with the most recent data mine let me just say that I am beyond excited for the new content. This is supposed to be the biggest update to date and the data mine sure suggests it will be.

That being said I understand the frustration of many of you. The game already feels like a horrible grind for some (or most), but for me personally new content to work on is really exciting. At this point the game feels like a routine for me where most of my gameplay for the day can be accomplished in a very small amount of time. I am also by no means have any sort of roster that is close to being complete. My guild does not run heroic AAT raids, and my roster isn't even ready for one (Here's proof https://swgoh.gg/u/cryloren/).

I'm excited for this update and to see what it holds, and I completely welcome the new challenge it will bring. I am however curious to see how this will affect the player base. Nonetheless, raid on fellow players.

Finally someone keeping an open mind...

I can't wait for ships, have been working really hard on AA and the pilots I have to get them ready for it. From what I read in the datamine it sounds like there will be different energy, currency, etc. basically different everything, which will be good. It also sounds like you can get character shards from ships, but I might have read that wrong. If you can that will be super helpful.

I just wish people were more optimistic about ships, but will all the recent let downs i get why they aren't...
    F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • Options
    I'm going to wait and see how it rolls out before I worry too much
  • Options
    One question, because I can't read 2000 lines of code: Will I need more than one Fleet Commander?

Like, in order to do Dark Side battles you need Dark characters. If I have Mace and Ackbar, will I need Tarkin in order to get the most of ships?
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Options
    Why is everyone afraid of the unknown? Just wait for the release before u go tarring and feathering
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ....and even then, tarring and feathering is against ToS ;)
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Options
    I full-heartedly agree, I'm pretty excited. Between this massive update, Sun&Moon coming out, and FF15 at the end of the month, I'd say November is the most excited I've been for games/updates for the past few months. Here's hoping that the ship update turns out to be a ton of fun. It will have its issues, of course. To hope that it will come out with no bugs or such, is simply fool-hearty. However I'm keeping an optimistic attitude towards it. Cheers all!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    J0K3R wrote: »
    ....and even then, tarring and feathering is against ToS ;)

You guys are no fun.
  • Options
    Why is everyone afraid of the unknown? Just wait for the release before u go tarring and feathering

Why? :) Because of everyday experience dealing with CG.
  • Options
    I understand what you're saying it's too soon to form opinions. I'm just currently in the boat of any new content, especially this much content, is always welcome. For me the game is almost boring at the moment. Sure I still have gear and characters to farm. But I'm stuck doing normal AAT raids that last 5 days. GW is easy. Arena is whatever. The most exciting thing I've had to look forward to is the upcoming tournament because it requires more than 20 minutes of my time for the day.
  • Options
    5 day Normal AAT raids ... oh, the dream. :}>
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    They basically took everything in this game and swapped characters for ships. I wouldn't be surprised if you're required to spend twice as much time playing now.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    tRRRey wrote: »
    They basically took everything in this game and swapped characters for ships. I wouldn't be surprised if you're required to spend twice as much time playing now.

This is the only thing I am afraid of. I do like the idea of guild vs guild, sounds like a lot of fun, but it also sounds like a lot more time on my device playing GOH, which is already more than I care for. If I could ignore content I don't like or don't have time for, then that would be great, but being part of a guild that is going to try and be competitive with ships I may not have a choice. That is the point at which something ceases to become a game and becomes a job.

I always look forward to new content, but cannot double my current GOH time commitment.
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options
    Tkoch94 wrote: »
    danrussoa wrote: »

I agree with that. I didn't really dive too deeply into the code but from the way the Reddit post described it it will be a whole different set of challenges, achievements, etc. which makes me hopeful this will at least use different energy. That being said our luck it will require cantina energy

If it isn't a separate type of energy, I probably won't touch it (unless it has massive benefits), because I'm spending all the resources I have at the moment on AAT teams.
  • Options
    Vinniarth wrote: »

And yet... Here you are. So how bad is dealing with CG or EA?
  • Options
    I call Shipgate, you heard it here first folks!

Like Ackbar says "It'a a TRAP!"
    Ally Code 299-731-212
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    Vinniarth wrote: »

And yet... Here you are. So how bad is dealing with CG or EA?

It is not because of CG and EA. It is because of Star Wars.
    Also it is freemium game model where you need to keep players frustrated do they can spend money to get rid of some pain in the neck. EA just extremely greedy in that. 200-1000 $ per character? Drop rates? Etc.etc.
    so yeah, I would love to see ships, but I think that will also increase frustration even more.