Gear or mod packs worth it?

My teams aren't strong enough to get through the mod challenges. And I'm really struggling getting my team (lando, Rey, Leia, sthan, plasma) from gear 7 to 8.

I know it's luck and rng dependant, but are the packs at least somewhat worth it, or just pure garbage?

Replies

• Options
    Gear packs are terrible value (for a game with already poor purchase value).

Mod packs are a gamble, better than the trash gear packs but still a very high chance at burning $ for nothing - Depends on how keen you are on gambling :)
  • Malthael
    972 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lasserini wrote: »
    Gear packs are terrible value (for a game with already poor purchase value).

Mod packs are a gamble, better than the trash gear packs but still a very high chance at burning $ for nothing - Depends on how keen you are on gambling :)

True.
    If you're on a spending mood, out of the two.. go with mod packs.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mod packs are worth it if you have no mods currently or can't get through the challenges. 599 for five to eight mods is a bargain if you can't complete the challenges.
  • Options
    Yeah, I bought a few mod packs when I reached level 50, it was perfect timing. The mod packs do contain quite a lot V-A ad V-B mods and I could make use for most of them. If your roster is well modded already and you need specific improvements, don't hope for them in mod packs though.
  • Options
    The mod pack was really good when it was first released. I used to get 3 or 4 five dot ones. The last time they rotated through, I got 1 or 2 in each pack. Not as good a value, but still pretty decent if you need a chance at speed secondaries and don't have the ability or patience to farm in challenges.
  • Options
    Mod packs, yes. Gear packs, no.
  • Options
    I've bought maybe 8 nod packs and 5 gear packs. I would say of the stuff I got, I used maybe <10% of the mods and 20% from the gear. Maybe I used some of the gear later but thinking of right when I opened it.

I was stupid and bought another mod pack about 30 mins ago. All 3* but one 4*. Not a single one useful, like zero. After viewing them I felt stupid for falling for it again.

You always get mostly junk with the hopes of getting something decent.

Some will say if you don't have much, it's good but I disagree. Don't buy anything in this game unless you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

So there's an easy thing to remember, if you have to ask then the answer is "No".
  • Obs0lete
    382 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've bought maybe 8 nod packs and 5 gear packs. I would say of the stuff I got, I used maybe <10% of the mods and 20% from the gear. Maybe I used some of the gear later but thinking of right when I opened it.

I was **** and bought another mod pack about 30 mins ago. All 3* but one 4*. Not a single one useful, like zero. After viewing them I felt **** for falling for it again.

You always get mostly junk with the hopes of getting something decent.

Some will say if you don't have much, it's good but I disagree. Don't buy anything in this game unless you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

So there's an easy thing to remember, if you have to ask then the answer is "No".

That's really unfortunate. I'll probably buy one just to see if it's your bad luck or if they have nerfed the packs yet again. I've attached an example of my best pull from Oct. 1 IMG_0205.PNG
    (three of those arrows were speed primaries) and a random one from Nov. 4, which was pretty typical:IMG_0325.PNG
  • Options
    I had great luck with the mod packs. I'm sure they become obsolete once the challenges are unlocked but a few extra mods really helped my squads. Gear packs are still garbage, just slightly better than what they were
  • Options
    The mod packs are very worth it because for most people, all of your cantina energy and cantina refreshes should be going to farming shards there. You can't afford to farm mods with all the necessary characters in the cantina.
  • Options
    Mod packs are better than gear because mods are more versatile. With gear you need a specific piece for a character while with mods there are multiple mixes that can work for a character. Say that you want crit chance and crit damage. There are a lot of combos among the six slots that work for this. Getting the right primary stats on the left-hand column can still be a trick, but I'm had a lot of luck with mod packs. I usually buy 4-6 of them during tournaments, and it's the only pack that I will buy.
  • Options
    If only I had the credits to level the Mods from the Mod Packs...
  • Options
    Tannjam wrote: »
    If only I had the credits to level the Mods from the Mod Packs...

Get those scoundrels cooking...
  • Jared
    32 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    IMO save your crystals and buy the completed gear. I've recently bought 4 gear packs and didn't get much that was useful to me. In hindsight I'd have been much better off buying a furnace for 1,400 crystals. There's just too much random crap included in the pool of possible pieces to make it worth while.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    Mod packs, yes. Gear packs, no.

This.^^

Gear is way too much of a gamble and that never ends well.

Mods pack is close to fair.
  • Options
    One of my Guildmates buys Mod Packs because he can only farm Health and Defense Mods. He has had a lot of success with it. I got some Gear Packs early on and did very well.
  • Options
    Mod packs have the best ROI on mods by far...
    600 energy for mostly c+ mods vs 600 energy chance to get mods
    Shipments are ridiculously expensive
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've bought one mod pack and the good mods I got out of it took me 2 months to farm through the garbage dropping mod challenges.
  • Options
    Mod packs are great!! My best mods came from packs!!!!
  • Options
    Just a quick warning, check that you can get five dot mods before buying a mod pack. This thread almost convinced me to get a mod pack, but when I checked it showed that I would get 2-4 dot mods, not 3-5. Not sure if it is because I am too low a level, or because I haven't cleared stage two of the defence mod challenge(needed to be able to get five dot mods from the mod shipments.)
  • Options
    Just a quick warning, check that you can get five dot mods before buying a mod pack. This thread almost convinced me to get a mod pack, but when I checked it showed that I would get 2-4 dot mods, not 3-5. Not sure if it is because I am too low a level, or because I haven't cleared stage two of the defence mod challenge(needed to be able to get five dot mods from the mod shipments.)

Yeah if you've already completed most of the mod challenges then mod packs can very much be worth it because they don't have any grey mods in them and they will drop a lot of 4 dot and 5 dot mods.

Most mods farmed from challenges are grey mods, which aren't very valuable.
  • Options
    KyloRey wrote: »

Yeah if you've already completed most of the mod challenges then mod packs can very much be worth it because they don't have any grey mods in them and they will drop a lot of 4 dot and 5 dot mods.

Most mods farmed from challenges are grey mods, which aren't very valuable.

This^
  • Options
    I don't have any teams that can get through the mod challenges. So I just had to buy four mod packs.

Have to say in fairly happy with the result. Definitely worth it. Took my 5 million credits to level up like 25 mods for my arena team!

Now I'm broke and can't afford to 7* them