The relevance of droids

DronGarath
33 posts Member
edited November 2016
Hi,
Like some others of my minority I choose to play a droid team in the arena rather than follow the meta.
I'm ftp, and I'm content that I'll probably never be able to challenge for the top spot... if others choose to pay to win I see it as a choice thing, good for them.

When I first started playing this game it was the glass cannon all out speed damage that attracted me to droids and gave them value, but now my droids are finding it harder and harder to compete.

I read a thread on power creep of new characters to keep the whales interested, and I understand the issue, also together with the addition of mods they have lost any advantage that they had.

I'll continue to try to max out all of the droids in the game (just b2 & I g100 to go now) as it's just what I'm into, and live in the hope that the devs give this faction some love, add new droids (droideka maybe) or even think about adding some ships for them (the separatist droid control ship could be cool);)

What do you guys think of droids?... are there any other droid collectors out there?... and is there anything I can do that will give these old toons any chance whatsoever or a fighting chance against the current and future Baze metas?

Replies

• Options
    I can say you aren't really a minority when it comes to droids. My arena is littered with them, and nearly 1/3 of the teams in my tourney shard are droids. They have been relevant since day 1, and will continue to be. They slay in this new raid, which is why I decided to continue with my droids, but will also use them throughout other game modes.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yep, love my droids. They are great and will always carry you through the meta change.

You don't need to be p2p to follow the meta, you will just be behind the curve.

There are not many options in a droid team so they get a little redundant but they let me build up a wiggs lando team with almost no changes to them.

They are a great asset to have in raids, GW, and tournament. OP sounds like they are a one trick pony, but I disagree.
  • Options
    My shard was full of rebel teams but I noticed that droids are making a comeback now sence the tank raid was released as Jawas are needed for tank raid and have good synergy with droids .
  • Options
    I run droids in arena and compete for #1 most days.
    For sure the advantage is thinner every day given how they get no love and how rebels become more powerful every day, but I can still compete.
    And on another note, droids are arguably the most useful team in the aat raid, so everyone will eventually need a nice droid team
  • Options
    Ive been running droids for quite some time now, my shard is full of rex + wiggs and wedge teams and full of wiggs, wedge and double tank with shoretrooper, I tried the standard droid team alot of people aim to run but its never worked out for me going up against these teams, i find replacing 86 with General Greivous to be the best thing ive done to survive current meta, he brings another aoe attack to hit people behind protection, turn meter and health reduction and healing immunity (really helps stopping lando etc healing themselves to almost full on a Aoe) + one or two other things that are ok, its all about how you mod him and your team to work together.

Ive always came top 5 every single day most of the time either position 1 or 2, i think droids are still very relevant but not the standard team as much (with 86 his abit of a liability calling in either b2 or Je)

On some fights mods require abit of tweaking for B2 if you want him to go 1st or not (against shoretrooper) i also find it helps to know your shards team and what mods they have on their characters to combat them alot of people dont normally change mods, a few possibly might but doing that alone is a advantage over most.

Rng of Defeating a rex team with shore can be .... (well pretty sucky) but chin up get back in their and take on their team and smash it
  • Options
    There is a guy on my server that takes 1st regularly with a droid team that uses b2. Me and him compete for 1st everyday and he normally wins that battle. His team can beat mine in 1 min and 30 seconds maybe less that's all he needs.
  • DeeRod12
    386 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Droids are starting to disappear very quickly in my arena mine struggle since guy who sits at #1 24/7 (November 2015 server) barely moves his teams speed is 220-270 it's ridiculous so I'm pretty much done lol going to run my scoundrels soon and enjoy playing rather than getting aggravated
  • Options
    I know there was someone on here not that long ago saying he was still easily taking top spot with droids on a well developed arena shard. My understanding is that don't defend so well, but that they still attack just fine. As a FTP player you will run into difficulty with any well synergised whale team, simply because they have put a lot more resources into getting the best possible mods.
  • Options
    Yeah, right now, gear, mods, and levels are killing me. There have been players at 85 for a couple of weeks now, and I just hit 84 a couple of days ago. I've been experimenting with a speedy STH in place of JE. It's goofy, but it actually works OK - made it from 32 to 6 yesterday at payout. I think 88 has use in other comps (e.g. Lando led Scoundrels/Rebels), and I'm going to be running a lot of hybrid teams until I reach 85 in the next 10 days or so.

Droids still kill in GW, and my team of 47, 86, 88, 100, and STH does almost 1M in P2 of T6 AAT. If I can bridge phases, I get get over 1M in T7 rancor with JE in place of STH. Check out the "Ideal Droid Team" thread in the character and squad strategy. SifuSteve and I have been posting a lot there about the current state of droids.
  • Options
    I don't run droids but I'm slowly building a droid team on the side. When I face droids I notice they hit hard their first turn but after that they are easy prey. Mostly I see 47, 88, 86, JE & B2. The problem with droids is 88 is killed off so easily which leaves 86 as the only threat. And he doesn't last much longer. After that they're done. They need more options. 88 & 86 aren't enough to keep them relavent imo. They need some more characters. They need more variety and more options.
  • Options
    Droids are still good on offence and especially good in tournament as you can set a more durable defence team. Good in P2 of heroic AAT raid even a poorly modded team can get you 500K.

I dont run them personally but good for new players to be competitive.
  • ReVenGe_in_MiNd
    596 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Droids are still good on offence and especially good in tournament as you can set a more durable defence team. Good in P2 of heroic AAT raid even a poorly modded team can get you 500K.

I dont run them personally but good for new players to be competitive.

Plus 1, good call brother
  • Options
    cool%20star%20wars%20photos%20fired%20trooper%5B7%5D.jpg?imgmax=800
  • Options
    Sticking to one faction, while admirable in its loyalty, is a certified recipe for failure.
    And calling anyone out for choosing a so-called "meta" is sour grapes.
    Building several squads up, however, and ensuring those squads consist of units that build upon the strengths of other squad members? Guaranteed happiness and success.
    My Empire squad is strong. My Rebel squad is strong. And my murder bears? They leave me lol'ing every day.
  • Options
    K2SO is supposed to be pretty badass so I'm thinking he can be a heavy hitting tank like character. R2 should've been in game already just like Jedi Luke but I'd like to see him as a support droid to give a lot of buffs to allies. Droideka is another droid I'd like to see. Maybe he can be like an RG for droids with an auto taunt or something. Maybe we'll see a BB8 at some point which would be similar to R2 as a support. There's also plenty of droids from clone wars and rebels to pick from. But K2SO and R2 are the two I'd like to see most. I think both can maybe be rebels as well depending on which R2 they pick from. Not like rebels need any more help but hey more options
  • Options
    I'd like to see droideka...
    High attack tank. Could give droids the extra oomph they lack as a defensive squad.
  • Options
    Droids can still take top-spots... In arena as well as in tourney! They are also a staple for gw and aat raid... Only drawback is that droids lose more ranks overnight than wiggs metas do!
  • Options
    If you haven't added bionic eyes to Ig88 DO IT NOW. It makes him incredibly tough. And that shield generator. Now he can take a wiggs shot and live. You'll even get ig100 and B2 to gear 11, I can't imagine how powerful they'll get. Honestly tho I'm in the same group as you OP. Ivd played droids since day 1 and use them in everything. Take #1 or #2 in arena every day depending if my opponent wants to spend his 100 crystals trying to lock me out.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Options
    Winstar wrote: »
    cool%20star%20wars%20photos%20fired%20trooper%5B7%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

This is Awesome !!!
  • Options
    Droids are still a viable team. I got bored when it was a lv70 cap and took 6 months off from the game. I'm back and am still rising up the arena ranks. I'm currently lv79 and most teams I'm battling are lv83-85. I'm managing to lurk about 150th. It's a 4droid team with a poggle boost. I'm sure when I hit lv85 I'll be in the top 50+.
  • Options
    Droideka would be really cool to have in the game. :)
  • Options
    Ive been running droids for quite some time now, my shard is full of rex + wiggs and wedge teams and full of wiggs, wedge and double tank with shoretrooper, I tried the standard droid team alot of people aim to run but its never worked out for me going up against these teams, i find replacing 86 with General Greivous to be the best thing ive done to survive current meta, he brings another aoe attack to hit people behind protection, turn meter and health reduction and healing immunity (really helps stopping lando etc healing themselves to almost full on a Aoe) + one or two other things that are ok, its all about how you mod him and your team to work together.

Ive always came top 5 every single day most of the time either position 1 or 2, i think droids are still very relevant but not the standard team as much (with 86 his abit of a liability calling in either b2 or Je)

On some fights mods require abit of tweaking for B2 if you want him to go 1st or not (against shoretrooper) i also find it helps to know your shards team and what mods they have on their characters to combat them alot of people dont normally change mods, a few possibly might but doing that alone is a advantage over most.

Rng of Defeating a rex team with shore can be .... (well pretty sucky) but chin up get back in their and take on their team and smash it

Could you record a video of your team?