Playtesting and character design

tomatomonster
11 posts Member
edited November 2016
I always wonder if CG actually playtests any of their creations. Like Chirrut makes Barriss more irrelevant than she already is, makes Reys leverage look like a tickle, add character synergy, tenacity up and So many HoTs to the list its crazy. Baze makes Sun fac, RG and B2 look like chumps

I would also LOVE to know CGs character creation process, and rationale behind character escalation. I really truly would. The way I think it would be is every archetype has a power pool and each debuff/buff has a power rating and each time its used on a character its drawn out of their pool. The remaining points after debuffs and buffs are then distributed to HP/armor/damage/crit etc. depending on the archetype.This ensures that all characters are relatively on the same level. For example if you want to front load speed and damage they don't have any secondary effects (aka Rey) if you want a boat load of utility and hp, they dont have damage (aka B2).

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The general term is power creep. Without it there is little to no incentive to get the toon. Without incentive why would people pay. If people won't pay why keep making the game.

I'm not saying I like it or fully understand it but that's the way it "has" to be.

As for the ability combination and those effects, I have nothing to say there, but I guess same principle applies. More desirable skill set, the more incentive.
  • Options
    Without incentive why would people pay - Honestly new toons are insentive enough. Power creep is just a lazy way to generate revenue
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Without incentive why would people pay - Honestly new toons are insentive enough. Power creep is just a lazy way to generate revenue

So a toon that is just 'new' and offers no new or different skill set, and is just a repackage of a different toon as far as power goes, is something you think people would pay for?
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

So a toon that is just 'new' and offers no new or different skill set, and is just a repackage of a different toon as far as power goes, is something you think people would pay for?

The problem is not crating a new, fresh and unique toon, but making him so overpowered that anything before him become obsolete.

To someone who starts playing now it matters little if a toon came out today or last year, he will try to farm what he thinks is cool but once he realized how unbalanced the game is he will just go for the strongest and leave the older underpowered toon like it's nothing. I started to play just by july and this already discourages me a lot. "I want to have an Empire team!", "A Sith team!", "Look how cool this character looks!", "I want to play Windu since he is my favorite!"... nothing of this matter, you end playing Rebel because their characters are so freaking overpowered even BEFORE the new ones the just released and most teams and toons are just not viable. I almost stop playing because the game became so much lame and repetitive in my Arena where everyone was running around with a Rebel team based on the very same and few characters: Lando, Wedge, Biggs, Leia, ST Han and that's it. And they just obliterates any other team expect some very specific ones. What is the point of having a game with dozens of playable characters if just very few of them actually worth it!?

Frequently on our guild chat some noob ask for question, and it sucks to tell him how much Mace Windu sucks, how much Luck Skywalker sucks, how much Chewbacca sucks, how much almost nobody uses Kylo Ren and then explain why Genosian Soldiers is better than most jedis and why he should start to farm some unknow or not desirable rebel characters just because they are so freaking OP and almost the only way to stay competitive without having 2 or 3 stituational teams that you made to counter one very specific team that works. It's not fun.

They probably wouldn't have to power creep like that making more and more super strong random characters if they had balanced the whole game in first place and a new character would be added for diversity or to make more teams viable. Imagine playing pokemon where you have all the 150 pokemons but only 10 of them are actually viable because all the 140 rest is too week and has not much use. In pokemon all pokemon has it uses, some are stronger, yes, but none are really useless. In Galaxy Heroes some characters and teams fade so much in comparison with the meta that there isn't any real choice for someone who wants to be competitive and not just take a beating after another.

I'm p2p and on my server of the top 50 in the Arena 43 uses Rebel teams with Wedge, Lando or Akbar lead, almost always with the rest of the team being Biggs, ST Han and or Leia. Yeah, I counted. It's not fun to face the same thing over and over again and take a beating from somenone with a team he spend way less time and money than yours just because you choosed the wrong meta and the game is super unbalanced.Yes, you can make a very specific team to counter that, but if you have to make a very specific team to counter something because that something crush anything else it already shows something is wrong.