What if healing treated protection points just like hit points?

I believe this change would potentially make the healing class useful again, and would certainly make for some better use of self heal characters which I feel often end up being more of a fluff than a useful ability in today's big damage dealing offense.

What do you think? Would it be too much, would it not even matter, or could it be a really nice way to make a lot of the already out there content relevant?

To clarify I am suggesting any heal in the game heal protection points if there is overflow healing or a character is already full of HP.

Replies

• Options
    Then we might as well just get rid of protection. There are already toons to add protection, and even then I don't think we should.
  • Options
    What if healing was half as effective for protection?
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    The goal of protection is to allow toons to survive longer but without dragging the games forever. Allowing for protection recover in game will make protection pointless. They might as well make it health
  • Options
    There isn't a very well fleshed out protection healer that I know of. Also, DPS doesn't need to worry with changing strategies to damage protection versus health, they just go all out.

Another thing I was thinking about to make healing more relevant is to slowly rework how healing works. Currently almost all heals are AoE healing the entire group, what if we made heals more effective for a single person heal? Usually the healer is trying to save one maybe two people in particular and most of the heal is wasted on full health characters. If healing healed protection that would rarely be the case.
  • Options
    One last thing to consider: I agree protection is made to make characters survive an alpha strike but that is a pretty linear concept. Either characters have enough protection to survive an alpha shot or they do enough damage to alpha someone else in a dice roll.

I mean currently most characters can be 'one shotted' be it by an assist or just a strong single hit when they have no protection and are full health. This change would make things less linear in that healing staff would not be useless in this regard.

Lastly, in terms of making prot health I don't actually think it's a bad idea because since the prot change healing has become antiquated the only healers that get used are those that can resurrect.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Some sort of effect would be great like 50% effective on protection.

The update with the persistent protection bar and the droid spot on ships means we could start to see the roll out of protection healing abilities much like ships offered on toons by some of the droids.
  • Options
    Just try and recall when protection was introduced - it made most of the attackers in the game useless, and forced Rey into everyone's roster, and in turn, made healers useless. PvP matches were ending in draws at an alarming rate. Is anything, what I'd suggest would be to add a zeta ability to one or two useless healers that would allow them to add no more than 25% protection. Definitely not all healers
  • Options
    Just try and recall when protection was introduced - it made most of the attackers in the game useless, and forced Rey into everyone's roster, and in turn, made healers useless. PvP matches were ending in draws at an alarming rate. Is anything, what I'd suggest would be to add a zeta ability to one or two useless healers that would allow them to add no more than 25% protection. Definitely not all healers

+1
  • Options
    Please keep protection as it is, especially with some of the Zeta abilities coming around - Boba Fett and Fives especially regenerate protection. I suppose if someone had to regenerate protection it would be a droid (protection is basically shielding) like K-2SO and it would have to have a long cooldown (like 7 or so).
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Options
    infidale wrote: »
    I believe this change would potentially make the healing class useful again, and would certainly make for some better use of self heal characters which I feel often end up being more of a fluff than a useful ability in today's big damage dealing offense.

What do you think? Would it be too much, would it not even matter, or could it be a really nice way to make a lot of the already out there content relevant?

To clarify I am suggesting any heal in the game heal protection points if there is overflow healing or a character is already full of HP.

One support-character could!

Mon Mothma

Leader : Rebels heal for x at the start of the turn, If the health is full, it will add to Protection.

Special - Many Bothans died to bring us this information.
    Transfer all debuffs on your allies to the enemy team.

latest?cb=20130404024511