Building not on current Meta :)

Hi all -
I've always had this philosophy - if you build a team on current meta, you are behind. Figuring since everyone uses same characters because of their power, they will eventually be weakened, and others will be buffed - I get the characters I like, and if they turn out to be good, I'll be ahead of the game since nobody else will have them. I'm F2P so I guess that's my only way to be ahead of the game (potentially). Does anyone else do this?

Pycroft

Replies

• Options
    We are always experimenting with new characters and combinations.

I agree it is a good idea.
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • shimsham
    101 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm f2p since early December and am trying to get as many quality characters at a high level as I can rather than just focusing on my current A/arena team which is already pretty good (21k power level) but I am losing some ground now. For me, this gives me something new to do and it is beneficial for GW. The most enjoyment I get out of this app now is unlocking a new character and gearing them up from scratch.

I wouldn't expect them to nerf the popular characters and buff others in the future as they'll probably just add new characters that will be those to go for. Nerfing popular characters would tick off the user base way too much, including the whales and they wouldn't want to do that...yet.
  • Options
    My royal guard and Ugnaught are almost 7* fully geared. When the meta shifts I will be king
  • Options
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    I'm running a heavy counter attack team atm so, far from poe & one shotters
  • Options
    Im running A rebel squad: Ackbar (L), Han, Biggs, Luke & Lumi, I still need 2 stars on Ackbar and 1 on Han and than this team will be full 7 star, (rebel scout sitting at 5*) If they change the speed meta and let the leader ability start before the first turn, the entire top 200 will be **** I guess, but it is the same cooky cutter teams all around, I hover around 50-60 daily, besides this, I am working on my B team which is an all empire team, Got Vader, Veers (bronzium, almost 4 star) and farming on stormtrooper, waiting for update to focus on other empire characters, lot of potention and most important its fun, (at least for me). I get my gratification of building an actuall 'team' instead of focussing on the meta.
  • CarlosMeetWorld
    18 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Aoe and dot team here Sid,Greedo,Kylo,Vader and Phasma. This combo is deadly for Vader , he hits over 12k @4* gear lvl 7

All 5*(except Vader) and gear lvl 8, 6*Sid,7*Phasma

Working getting my Dooku around 5/6* to replace greedo
  • Options
    My royal guard and Ugnaught are almost 7* fully geared. When the meta shifts I will be king

Sorry, but Ugnaught will never be useful. Terrible choice. Royal Guard is ok if they release The Emperor char and farmable Vader's shards.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • JohnnySteelAlpha
    2794 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I see value in trying non-meta stuff and planning for the future, but if that's all you do than essentially you're guaranteeing yourself to be behind in the present and near future for a chance to be ahead at some point in the future. It's quite possible in that scenario you will perpetually be behind. Maintaining a foot in current meta while planning for the future is best if you can pull it off and have the resources.

As a F2P though...that's not a bad approach at all in general. I will add that any F2P that picked up Poe early has enjoyed a more than 1 month long seat in the highest levels of meta and still going. That's pretty remarkable and valuable.
  • Options
    No one knows the meta for the future. For me, i'm farming characters that work well with multiple teams, and avoiding leveling the ones that are very likely to get nerfed. Sid, Lumi, Poe, phasma, and FOTP are likely to get axed, so I am working on poggle, Ig86, Geo, ct5's. Poggle and Ig86 especially can be plugged into most teams and do major damage.
  • Options
    If you spend your life worrying about "what is to come" you will miss out on the "now". Embrace the "now".
  • Options
    I agree with OP if you are trying to chase a current meta you likely will never obtain it. So I go with my fave either toons or way to play in these freemium games. I am running Phasma L, St Han, Biggs, FOO and Ewok Elder eventually but for now talia at rank 150 or so. All these toons also are in no fear of having a nerf hammer come down on them if anything a buff is needed. That is how you got to play these long drawn out games as F2P, think way ahead. But that's just me.
  • garublador
    915 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My prediction is that Daka will be important in the future. If control teams get good she will be a staple. Ackbar and Asajj might be important, too.

I'd look for buff/debuff, stun and turn meter manipulation (other than Poe) to be more important in the future. Having a couple different, control based strategies that are viable is a possibility. Games like this tend to swing between rush, control and "trick" strategies ruling the meta. It's very difficult to predict trick strategies so building control characters might be a safer route.

Of course YMMV. I genuinely hope the Poe/rush strategy remains viable because it's a valid and fun way to play.

If I had to call a long shot it would be Coruscant Underworld Police being the new "tech," similar to GS now.
  • Options
    I have my main team firmly planted in the current meta while working on a different approach. Having those arena tokens makes it possible.
  • Options
    Droids will live forever lol.
  • Options
    Oh, and I predict that Talia will be more important, too. Healing plus turn meter manipulation with a HP hit is awesome in most any meta that isn't pure rush.
  • Options
    Pycroft wrote: »
    Hi all -
    I've always had this philosophy - if you build a team on current meta, you are behind. Figuring since everyone uses same characters because of their power, they will eventually be weakened, and others will be buffed - I get the characters I like, and if they turn out to be good, I'll be ahead of the game since nobody else will have them. I'm F2P so I guess that's my only way to be ahead of the game (potentially). Does anyone else do this?

Pycroft

This only works for people who don't mind ranking low on the arena leaderboards. I started out like you but my competetive side got the best of me and I started to prepare an all out AOE F2P team and boy was I rewarded haha. Poe just added icing to the cake when he came out, wasn't even reading about cookie cutter teams and now I'm up 6.7k gems in pure Arena shenanigans.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy.