What the REAL problem is with the Tie Advanced Tournament

Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
edited November 2016
With the release of ships and the announcement of the tournament for a ship, I thought it sounded like a great idea. A way to encourage interest in the new content. Cool.

Then I saw the structure. What an absolute disaster. No, I'm not talking about the lack of credits or gear in this particular tournament (that's for another thread). No, I'm not even talking about the usual complaint - that it's just an auction based on ally points and who can sit around for 6-8 hours/day to keep fighting the same meta teams over and over - that's already been posted about dozens of times (and ignored completely).

I am talking about introducing a 7* ship about 1 week after launch. 25 per tournament shard to be precise. I fail to understand how this won't completely make ship arena unbalanced. This is similar to handing out 7* Rey 1 week after game launch (or 7* anything, really). Having 7* characters as a reward for tournaments is fine, as most 80+ level players have dozens of 7* heroes. But how many have dozens of 7* ships? Not even the whaleiest of whales have dozens of 7* ships laying around. If the "top prize" would have been a 3* or 4* ship, cool. But 7* and enough ship building materials to crank it up? Seriously?

Can any of the developers comment on why it was thought to be a good idea for game balance to release a 7* ship into Ship Arena 1 week after releasing ships?

@CG_Kozispoon? @CG_CapGaSP? Anyone?

Honestly, there are only 1 of 3 possibilities here:

1) It won't actually be balance altering. That people having 7* ships versus teams of 2*-4* ships won't have a drastic advantage and that this has been thoroughly play tested to verify this. But that begs the question - how weak is this ship then?

2) It will be balance altering in Ship Arena - which begs the question - then why do it?

3) They actually have no idea how badly this will change the balance - and don't really care. They just shoved out another tournament with similar specs to the previous ones.

So which of the above 3 is it? Anyone?
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• Vinniarth
    1859 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Second, I think.
    But in the end, only whales will get tie andanced, and they are in top already. Nothing really will change. It is just another whale event.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    There will be ONLY 1 7* ship per shard and only 25 per shard will unlock it at 4*-6*. That's 1 person for every 5,000. Odds r that the individual that does get it will b echelons above u and won't impact u 1 bit if there even is 1 on your fleet shard come the end.

Secondly...stars don't mean squat. The real strength of the ship is a fully geared, leveled and modded pilot.

Third, there r already 5*+ shjps on most fleet shards already. They will be 7* in another week. Balance achieved.
  • Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    There will be ONLY 1 7* ship per shard and only 25 per shard will unlock it at 4*-6*.

That's assuming that the tournament shards line up with the fleet shards, which they probably won't. It's possible many fleet shards won't have a 7* ship, and some may have more than one.
  • Options
    Can I have stupid question?
    Is it tournament for fleets or ground one just with tie advanced as reward?
  • Options
    Secondly...stars don't mean squat. The real strength of the ship is a fully geared, leveled and modded pilot.

"Uh, that's not entirely accurate, Mr. President."

The star rating of the ship determines the multiplier for the crew rating. A 7* will be 1.5x whereas a 1* will be 1.05x. That might not seem like much, but when comparing two pilots who are both already maxed out, it'll be a decently noticeable amount. More health, protection, speed, and damage despite both being maxed out pilots. A single 7* Vader ship, if earned by someone with a near/maxed out Vader, will be quite difficult to overcome for those around them in fleet arena. You are correct in saying that gear and such is more important *initially*, but once you reach a certain point the star rating of the ship can make a big difference (depending on what the "stat_contribution_value" is.
  • Options
    I don't think they care about balance unfortuantly. Someone said in a meeting that "we can take advantage of this situation and get the whales to spend like crazy for an exclusive ship". And the boss agreed.
  • Gunslinger87
    58 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    7* Ships matter a lot less than good pilots. Don't worry about it bro. By the time you get all the pilots to max, there will be so many ship options out there you wont know what to do. And since ship tournament rewards are so flat, if you lose out against a couple players, you won't fall behind much.

That's not saying i love this tournament, I'm just not that fussed about giving away 7* ships.... If the ship itself is massively OP at any star level will be far more of a factor... remains to be seen.
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    With the release of ships and the announcement of the tournament for a ship, I thought it sounded like a great idea. A way to encourage interest in the new content. Cool.

Then I saw the structure. What an absolute disaster. No, I'm not talking about the lack of credits or gear in this particular tournament (that's for another thread). No, I'm not even talking about the usual complaint - that it's just an auction based on ally points and who can sit around for 6-8 hours/day to keep fighting the same meta teams over and over - that's already been posted about dozens of times (and ignored completely).

I am talking about introducing a 7* ship about 1 week after launch. 25 per tournament shard to be precise. I fail to understand how this won't completely make ship arena unbalanced. This is similar to handing out 7* Rey 1 week after game launch (or 7* anything, really). Having 7* characters as a reward for tournaments is fine, as most 80+ level players have dozens of 7* heroes. But how many have dozens of 7* ships? Not even the whaleiest of whales have dozens of 7* ships laying around. If the "top prize" would have been a 3* or 4* ship, cool. But 7* and enough ship building materials to crank it up? Seriously?

Can any of the developers comment on why it was thought to be a good idea for game balance to release a 7* ship into Ship Arena 1 week after releasing ships?

@CG_Kozispoon? @CG_CapGaSP? Anyone?

Honestly, there are only 1 of 3 possibilities here:

1) It won't actually be balance altering. That people having 7* ships versus teams of 2*-4* ships won't have a drastic advantage and that this has been thoroughly play tested to verify this. But that begs the question - how weak is this ship then?

2) It will be balance altering in Ship Arena - which begs the question - then why do it?

3) They actually have no idea how badly this will change the balance - and don't really care. They just shoved out another tournament with similar specs to the previous ones.

So which of the above 3 is it? Anyone?

+100
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Viserys wrote: »
    There will be ONLY 1 7* ship per shard and only 25 per shard will unlock it at 4*-6*.

That's assuming that the tournament shards line up with the fleet shards, which they probably won't. It's possible many fleet shards won't have a 7* ship, and some may have more than one.

My intended statement was there will only b 1 7* ship awarded per tourney shard. Sorry for the ambiguity.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Oh, c'mon. Really? This isn't a bug. Give me a break - why was this moved here? At least an explanation would have been helpful. Why is it that anything questioning the validity of any aspect of the game is insta-moved to...well, anywhere it won't be seen by most players? As I said, an explanation by whoever decided that discussing the tournament payout structure was a "bug" would have been helpful in explaining why it is seen as such.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Look... chewie shards
  • Options
    7* Ships matter a lot less than good pilots. Don't worry about it bro. By the time you get all the pilots to max, there will be so many ship options out there you wont know what to do. And since ship tournament rewards are so flat, if you lose out against a couple players, you won't fall behind much.

That's not saying i love this tournament, I'm just not that fussed about giving away 7* ships.... If the ship itself is massively OP at any star level will be far more of a factor... remains to be seen.

Vader is extremely strong. Permanent unavoidable irresistable target locks? You can get Biggs to 250k+ total health (includes some regen) in the first couple of turns, quite the wall to have to punch through. You can also have FOTP flying circles around everyone else. Lots of ships want to shoot at target locks for bonuses to their abilities, so Vader can fit almost anywhere. He's worth the 6-8 crawl up the ladder