The lesson we learned from Rey.

As many of you remember, Rey was at one time a uniquely powerful character. She could deal more damage than other toons. Many people called for a nerf.

What did the developers do? Nothing to rey. Instead, they created a new group of characters at Rey's level... if not above.

I would expect this to continue. What does this mean? This means that meta toons can be confidently farmed without worrying abut them getting nerfed.

If someone can think of an example to disprove this, I would be interested in hearing it.

Replies

• Twin
    527 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nerfed and obsolete could be considered similar... The only thing helping rey atm is that she is useful in GW and Rancor still... other characters may not be so lucky.

Also power creep... Some of the characters coming out now are literally replacing 2 characters in one.

Not sure how power creep can be avoided completely given the business model, but ultimately you would want to counter metas with a character that generally viable yet still a direct counter to the meta. Thus creating multiple rock paper scissor characters/teams.

EDIT: No this does not mean characters can be safely farmed... some maybe if they are useful in other areas. It's really hard to comment unless you give context... most around here talk almost exclusively about PvP arena. Yet there are now other parts of the game to balance...
  • Options
    I agree now wiggs is beginning to fall of the arena teams but he will always be useful in raids so farm without fear peeps
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    There will always be a rotating meta for Arena. However, powerful characters in other parts of the game (raids, GW) will always have a place there. So if a toon is ONLY viable in arena, you may consider whether you want to invest there or not.

It's all dependent on your own priorities for the game. RP, to me, was wrongly nerfed a while back. She had pretty solid damage, but low health and speed. She was viable because of gaining foresight and TM through her special. Once the basic damage got decreased, she's become pretty much unviable. Except piloting her xwing early on. It'll probably fade into oblivion soon though.
  • Options
    Hanburger wrote: »
    Instead, they created a new group of characters at Rey's level... if not above.

If not? Lol..
    Rey would come as the last character to kill nowadays.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    empire tie pilot does more damage than rey on basic
    i think the new toons ignore armor more so they have much more damage potential
  • Options
    Malthael wrote: »
    Hanburger wrote: »
    Instead, they created a new group of characters at Rey's level... if not above.

If not? Lol..
    Rey would come as the last character to kill nowadays.

True story. I fought her in arena today. She did go down before RG but just because of his higher health pool.

Once Wiggs and Lando were gone I just hit auto.
  • Options
    Poe was meta and got nerfed

Dooku and OB was meta (am fairly sure dooku damaged got netfed)

Not sure if these really count but :/
  • Options
    Oootini wrote: »
    Poe was meta and got nerfed

Dooku and OB was meta (am fairly sure dooku damaged got netfed)

Not sure if these really count but :/

Dooku can still do a lot of damage with all his counters, speed, evasion, and stuns if you're willing to give him all your top gear and mods. He's more of an annoyance really.
  • Options
    Rey can still be viable, even in the arena. Put crit damage mods on her, preferable with some speed and stick here behind a Boba Lead... She can hit for 30K plus. I've played with Boba (l)- Wiggs - 88 and Rey or QGJ, both work well, depending on the opponent. I stay consistently top 5 in my shard.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    In terms of single target DPS

Han>Rey

It's not even close, g11 Han is a beast
  • Options
    Twin wrote: »
    Nerfed and obsolete could be considered similar... The only thing helping rey atm is that she is useful in GW and Rancor still... other characters may not be so lucky.

Also power creep... Some of the characters coming out now are literally replacing 2 characters in one.

Not sure how power creep can be avoided completely given the business model, but ultimately you would want to counter metas with a character that generally viable yet still a direct counter to the meta. Thus creating multiple rock paper scissor characters/teams.

EDIT: No this does not mean characters can be safely farmed... some maybe if they are useful in other areas. It's really hard to comment unless you give context... most around here talk almost exclusively about PvP arena. Yet there are now other parts of the game to balance...

Chewbacca, Ugnaught and Eeth Koth are still the best three characters, even with the powercreep.
  • Options
    Poe, Bariss, etc. Enough people complained before that they just go with the power creep option
  • Cardiff0
    516 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Rey dazes on special with Zeta, at high speed. Could be good for stopping a specific TM gain in the first round