Alter tournament rewards

Focusing on something I think could actually happen:

I don't like the tournaments -- and for me the reason is that I know I stand no chance whatsoever of unlocking the reward character in tournaments. I know I can't take out the meta teams in the top ranks, no matter how many ally points I spend. I can't get into that bracket, much less stay in it if I did.

The other rewards are frankly fairly paltry compared to the character, and without any communication as to when/if the reward character will ever become available elsewhere, the shards aren't much help either.

I'd like to propose altering the lower bracket rewards to a mystery box containing a base number of shards, and with a percentage chance of adding enough shards to unlock the character or more, depending on the bracket. This still affords total control of the uptake rate on the character at various rarities to CG via drop rates, but allows me to participate in a tournament knowing I can't rank into the top bracket but still feel that I have a chance to unlock the character and a greater chance to unlock/enhance the character in higher brackets.

Higher bracket rewards can still follow the same basic structure - rank above X and you're guaranteed to unlock the character, with a slush that might let you enhance to a higher star level.