1 million ally points spent....

Prev1
GeorgeRules
1580 posts Member
edited December 2016
Came in 5th...... Gutted. The worst thing about tournaments is they make you realise how bad the power creep and mod lottery really is. They also make you realise how the characters behind paywalls are deliberately OP. That's right, they deliberately reset the matrix with new toons to suck even more money out of those willing to pay.

Now, the game would be dull without challenges, people start to moan very quickly about meta's dragging on. Wiggs being a prime example, now... wiggs replaced the short lived yet reborn palp meta which was brought in to end the reign of OB who outclassed only very marginally any other squad comp Barring Droids who rex has been the bane of since protection was launched.

The level of nerf to OB with palp was huge and the rebirth of wiggs all but left rey for dead in terms of OP. Now we have boba, tfp and all these new rebels.... Everytime these get launched we get left behind, it's no longer fun to grind a toon for a whole month to find them redundant to a new OP character that you can't beat with your 30 existing gr10/11 toons. Is anyone actually enjoying having their toons nerfed in this way?

Instead of nerfing through power creep to end meta's, why not just balance through nerfs so that all toons are viable? Also, please sort out the tournaments, the majority of players at the 80 plus scale have been playing daily for over half a year and spent a fortune on the game, at least reward us with usable toons.. i.e 6/7 star for top 50-100. If not then at least balance the toons or put us in shards with people with similar rosters.

Replies

• Options
    Here is the thing though, they use to only release new characters via Auditorium Packs(sp), it was a huge paywall, now everyone has a chance not only for the character, if you dont want to participate that's fine, just log in, set defense, attack once and reap some pretty good rewards.
  • Options
    Well, I stopped grinding to win long time ago. All the top tier rewards are pretty much reserved for those paying tons of money to EA. I now only play for fun, and grind characters I like and make up teams I have fun with, but no longer to win anything, because it's totally pointless.
  • WildMango
    151 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Wow. You came in 5th place. That's better than 99% of people who participated. You probably have a toon that 99% of players don't have. Congrats.

The rest of your post I can agree with.
  • Options
    Are you seriously crying about Rey not being in the meta anymore?! You've obviously never played a TCG like Magic the Gathering have you? This game is basically that. The meta is gonna change roughly every 3-4 months. How many metas have we had so far in the year and 1 month the game has been out? Well let's figure it out:

I think the first one was a Poe D.(not sure who got put with him, I just know he was the foundation of the team)meta because speed worked weird when it first came out.

Then the Old Ben/Dooku/Lumi lead evasion teams(and I am very happy that trash is gone)

In between these two there was a slight Droid meta. Which I really liked and never really got around to using and I still see frequently in the top 20 of my shard. Mainly because droids have high damage and a lot of utility.

Then there was the Rey/RG/STHan and fill with anything else you like (which was just about as cookie cutter as you can get). I personally hated arena during this block and would rather see the evasion block comeback before this trash litters the arenas again.

Now we have Lando/Wiggs/STHan and some EP lead Empire teams out there. The WiggDo meta is just a high damage fast character snipe which is easily farmed and outfitted so it's a no brainer this is the meta.

Think this is pretty close. Let me know if I missed anything.
    Humans Are Such Easy Prey
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    congrats on 5th place in the tourney.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I m gonna spend only 10 or 20k max
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @TronTheKhan It's the way the meta is changing that is the problem. Instead of an OP character being nerfed, all the characters get nerfed except for the new OP toon/combo. I would of sooner seen rey get nerfed and have something like ewoks become usable than have something more OP take her place making other unusable toons even worse in comparison. It's called balance, something that if you've played a strategy game before you would understand. Sadly the game in it's present state is more like top trumps than a turn based strategy game.

@leef Thanks
  • Options
    Are you seriously crying about Rey not being in the meta anymore?! You've obviously never played a TCG like Magic the Gathering have you? This game is basically that. The meta is gonna change roughly every 3-4 months. How many metas have we had so far in the year and 1 month the game has been out? Well let's figure it out:

I think the first one was a Poe D.(not sure who got put with him, I just know he was the foundation of the team)meta because speed worked weird when it first came out.

Then the Old Ben/Dooku/Lumi lead evasion teams(and I am very happy that trash is gone)

In between these two there was a slight Droid meta. Which I really liked and never really got around to using and I still see frequently in the top 20 of my shard. Mainly because droids have high damage and a lot of utility.

Then there was the Rey/RG/STHan and fill with anything else you like (which was just about as cookie cutter as you can get). I personally hated arena during this block and would rather see the evasion block comeback before this trash litters the arenas again.

Now we have Lando/Wiggs/STHan and some EP lead Empire teams out there. The WiggDo meta is just a high damage fast character snipe which is easily farmed and outfitted so it's a no brainer this is the meta.

Barriss came before Poe, she was nerfed due to crying.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    It's the way the meta is changing that is the problem. Instead of an OP character being nerfed, all the characters get nerfed except for the new OP toon/combo. I would of sooner seen rey get nerfed and have something like ewoks become usable than have something more OP take her place making other unusable toons even worse in comparison. It's called balance, something that if you've played a strategy game before you would understand. Sadly the game in it's present state is more like top trumps than a turn based strategy game.

It's a freemium game. Pretty much every question that involves a "why?" can be anwsered with "because it's a freemium game"
  • Options
    Lol, I almost forgot I was being psychologically manipulated by the devs to spend more money. Good point leef, it all seems so clear now.
  • Options
    600k AP and rank 8 right now. My shard is tough. I have a pretty decent wiggdo team with han and baze tanking
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Lol, I almost forgot I was being psychologically manipulated by the devs to spend more money. Good point leef, it all seems so clear now.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. ^_^
    But yes, you're being psychologicallly manipulated to some extent. Not really what i meant though.
  • Options
    In the meantime I spent 40k AP on bronziums and pulled 7 full toons :) Just turned 80 so I didn't even bother trying this time. Unlocked all the previous toons when I was below 80.
  • Options

So true, it seems most people have never played a TCG. This game is near identical to the way TCG power creeps and metas work. Some decks that aren't meta are good and can win on a fluke, but if you want to win, you play meta. Simple as that.
  • VeridianShakes
    1118 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I agree, George. After busting out mad points on the first couple tourneys I'm like...meh. Totally not worth is. Put in average effort. Get money and some shards. All good. I'm in the top 100 ATM. That's fine. I'm not sitting on my phone all day.
  • TronTheKhan
    650 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @TronTheKhan It's the way the meta is changing that is the problem. Instead of an OP character being nerfed, all the characters get nerfed except for the new OP toon/combo. I would of sooner seen rey get nerfed and have something like ewoks become usable than have something more OP take her place making other unusable toons even worse in comparison. It's called balance, something that if you've played a strategy game before you would understand. Sadly the game in it's present state is more like top trumps than a turn based strategy game.

@leef Thanks

Obviously if you read a single word I've said instead just complaining you would've realized I have played strategy games. I literally told you of one(MTG), SMDH. I've played since Poe D. was the meta so I'm not surprised that different squads are being utilized. Before this you were probably crying that there wasn't enough to choose from. Now there is and poor you is just crying about your team getting nerfed. Now you have WiggDo, Droids, Jedi and Empire. So stop crying and whining about the meta shifts. It's gonna happen. Evolve with it or leave it.
    MIC DROP

Good call. I wasn't around during that. How good was she? And was it because the game was so new that she didn't have much to compete with her?

• Options
    Congrats on fifth.
  • Options
    I think 1 million ap is insane
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@leef Thanks

Obviously if you read a single word I've said instead just complaining you would've realized I have played strategy games. I literally told you of one(MTG), SMDH. I've played since Poe D. was the meta so I'm not surprised that different squads are being utilized. Before this you were probably crying that there wasn't enough to choose from. Now there is and poor you is just crying about your team getting nerfed. Now you have WiggDo, Droids, Jedi and Empire. So stop crying and whining about the meta shifts. It's gonna happen. Evolve with it or leave it.
    MIC DROP

Good call. I wasn't around during that. How good was she? And was it because the game was so new that she didn't have much to compete with her?

You are bent! That's for using the stop crying argument. In response, you were the one yourself who said it was top trumps and not a strategy game. Plus you openly admit everytime they introduce a new op toon/rework it is a nerf to all other toons. I'm reading and struggling to see what you're trying to add here other than "stop crying you whiney whiner".

GROW UP and read what you write yourself buddy, you aren't on an intellectual level to grasp common sense or have real conversation with. Buzz off and stop trolling....
    Post edited by GeorgeRules on
  • Options
    How are people earning so much ally points since the Last tournament. ? Are u stocking up on ap by skipping the previous ones and just blowing them all on this current one?
  • Options
    I skipped everything. 2 tourneys and ships in GW. Wish i hadn't bothered.
  • TronTheKhan
    650 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@leef Thanks

MIC DROP

You are bent! That's for using the stop crying argument. In response, you were the one yourself who said it was top trumps and not a strategy game. Plus you openly admit everytime they introduce a new op toon/rework it is a nerf to all other toons. I'm reading and struggling to see what you're trying to add here other than "stop crying you whiney whiner".

GROW UP and read what you write yourself buddy, i ignored your first comment because you aren't on an intellectual level to understand common sense, Buzz off and stop trolling....

Saying something is the new meta is totally different then saying something got NERFED. Now the only thing you've done is made your whole argument about yourself. "My team can't win." "They changed the meta." "The other guys are so much better than me I consider it a nerf."
    When you talk on here this is what it sounds like. A self centered little brat who sees someone with a better toy. And by the way, I'm not your buddy, Noob.
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Zzzz. Thanks for the interlude. I could quote your comments but pretty sure any audience we have here and possibly even yourself can read enough to know you're just here to derail.
  • Options
    OP that sucks. They made the tourneys whale friendly now (Although unlock at 100 was a nice touch for us if the tourney character is viable with 3 or 4*) by changing the max AP to 2500.

When it was 1k it was just use the same squad over and over and it was a straight AP/time auction. Now squad makes the difference.

Hindsight is an absolute h0e in this game but it turns out you should've gone in for one of the other tourneys :(.

Its fair enough if all the characters are coming through tourneys, but it was nice having just one thing in the game where I could have an advantage if I saved for it (and slaved for two days), and get access to fun, rare stuff. I wish tourneys could have been the one thing accessible to anyone but not anymore. GW currency looking pretty irrelevant again.

I don't even see tourneys being as profitable. Having advantages by something being directly accessible to whales, through something like chromiums, rather than encouraging spending indirectly through having a massive squad was surely more direct and simple and more tempting for potential whales, and more EA's style. Although perhaps your average current whale will now evolve into a moby roaming the ocean, which could be their thinking. Or they just didn't like the fact there was any F2P success lol
  • Options
    Flamethrow wrote: »
    In the meantime I spent 40k AP on bronziums and pulled 7 full toons :) Just turned 80 so I didn't even bother trying this time. Unlocked all the previous toons when I was below 80.

I can dig it.....I spend them all on cards not fotm toons.
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Cardiff0

You've hit my frustrations on the head there. It's the fact that I had saved and was willing to put the effort in to get the reward and left semi empty handed and hear of whales spending a fraction of ally points and putting less time in and getting better results. It sucks to be the under dog but I really thought 1 mill would of been enough. On a different shard it would of been. It just sucks.

The thing is, I'm not jealous about other squads being stronger or that I struggled in the tournament in comparison to some whales, It's the reason why which brings me back to my original point, power creep and the rate and level at which they are deploying it and the fact that tournament shards are based on when you enter and not your level of progression. I feel sorry for some of the fresh level 80's coming into this, it really isn't inclusive.
  • Options

I actually like it before protection came into play. One shotting Dooku with FOTP special was pretty satisfying.

Those were the days.
  • scuba
    14067 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Cardiff0

You've hit my frustrations on the head there. It's the fact that I had saved and was willing to put the effort in to get the reward and left semi empty handed and hear of whales spending a fraction of ally points and putting less time in and getting better results. It sucks to be the under dog but I really thought 1 mill would of been enough. On a different shard it would of been. It just sucks.

The thing is, I'm not jealous about other squads being stronger or that I struggled in the tournament in comparison to some whales, It's the reason why which brings me back to my original point, power creep and the rate and level at which they are deploying it and the fact that tournament shards are based on when you enter and not your level of progression. I feel sorry for some of the fresh level 80's coming into this, it really isn't inclusive.

It is the horrible structure of the "tournament". I finished 47th. Spoke to others that spent about same ally points or more, had higher point totals, by a good margin, and finished outside the top 100 on different leaderboards.
    Still just too random what type of leaderboard you will end up on, one where 1st place is 6k-7k points or one where 1st is 10k or more.
  • Options

@leef Thanks

MIC DROP

GROW UP and read what you write yourself buddy, i ignored your first comment because you aren't on an intellectual level to understand common sense, Buzz off and stop trolling....

Saying something is the new meta is totally different then saying something got NERFED. Now the only thing you've done is made your whole argument about yourself. "My team can't win." "They changed the meta." "The other guys are so much better than me I consider it a nerf."
    When you talk on here this is what it sounds like. A self centered little brat who sees someone with a better toy. And by the way, I'm not your buddy, Noob.

Everytime they introduce power creep they're passively nerfing characters that already existed. Reworking Boba was basically a passive nerf to Vader since they have similar skill sets--debuffing abilities with a very strong single target damage attack. However, Boba Fetts execute also dispels and it doesn't require much to setup and in addition he has more speed and much more longevity due to constant revives.

Another example is that Chirrut was basically a huge nerf to Barris, luminara, and Rex because they combined each of those toons signature moves into one move and gave it to a fast attacker capable of dealing strong damage.

Then you have the emperor who was basically a nerf to every other stunner/controller in the game. The solution to the op abilities of the emperor is to introduce more cleansers and tenacity up grantors onto characters with other strong abilities, which hurts your regular stunners/controllers even more
  • Baze
    182 posts Member
    Options
    We need more anti meta shards. Getting tired of the Wiggs team.