How are ship packs?

Prev1
BrianBuchanans
692 posts Member
edited December 2016
Hey, y'all! Thinking about revamping my crystal usage in preparation for hitting level 80 (or 82... crud, it seems far away now) and farming Zetas and i'm not sure exactly how to go about getting the ships required.

Right now, I'm planning on switching off weekly between buying gear from shipments and buying ship packs to be ready for ship challenges, but I realize packs tend to be risky. Obviously, there's RNG involved, but I just want to be sure I'm not paying into trash.

That said, what are your experiences with ship packs? Have they proven worthy, or am I better off farming from fleet shipments/GW and spending my crystals all on gear/refreshes? And if anybody can attest, have you gotten any rare ships like Slave/Scimitar?

Replies

• Options
    Ship packs are very Titanic....
  • Options
    so far ive mainly only gotten 10 shards for a ship from each pack I bought
  • Options
    I've only bought 2 packs and both times got the minimum 10 shards. 1000 crystals down the drain.
  • Options
    Ships are fairly easy to farm, and there is no benefit to having shards for ships that don't fit your strategy.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I bought one pack and got 25 Sun Fac ship shards unlocked when the pack first came out. Not testing my luck and won't buy another one since they are basically free in GW and Fleet Shipments.

Ask yourself, would pay 320 crystals for 4 rex shards in shipments store, knowing you can use 600 fleet shipment tokens for 5 rex shards in the fleet store, or 400 guild coins for 5?
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Like any packs go big or go home.
  • Options
    Riggin12 wrote: »
    Ships are fairly easy to farm, and there is no benefit to having shards for ships that don't fit your strategy.

True.... I just feel like farming up a fifth dark side ship is gonna take ages. Not to mention having to get all of those other ships to 5* for the actual challenge.

I'm not super worried about my fleet arena ranking. More about getting Zetas as quick as possible. Given how few ships there are in the first place, I feel like anything will do.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

True.... I just feel like farming up a fifth dark side ship is gonna take ages. Not to mention having to get all of those other ships to 5* for the actual challenge.

I'm not super worried about my fleet arena ranking. More about getting Zetas as quick as possible. Given how few ships there are in the first place, I feel like anything will do.

depending on how many blue prints you got for Vader tie that "tournament" is around the corner so that could be an easy ds ship.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

depending on how many blue prints you got for Vader tie that "tournament" is around the corner so that could be an easy ds ship.

Unfortunately I didn't participate in Vader TIE and busted all of my AP on Jyn and Cassian. Hence my deep desire for Zetas haha.
  • Options

This is always true, no matter what "going big" means for you.
    I decided to play the lottery this time, as Ships were a new and exciting feature, and was lucky enough to get a few good drops. Nothing out of the ordinary, but 1 decent drop out of 5-8 packs seems to be fairly accurate.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    Winstar wrote: »
    I bought one pack and got 25 Sun Fac ship shards unlocked when the pack first came out. Not testing my luck and won't buy another one since they are basically free in GW and Fleet Shipments.

Ask yourself, would pay 320 crystals for 4 rex shards in shipments store, knowing you can use 600 fleet shipment tokens for 5 rex shards in the fleet store, or 400 guild coins for 5?

Well so that's the thing. I'll choose the fleet shipments if I think that crystals are more valuable than fleet currency. But this is different because there's only an arena mode with challenges. Different because with most other game modes you can supplement your progress with crystals, but here there's no way to do that.
  • Options

I decided to play the lottery this time, as Ships were a new and exciting feature, and was lucky enough to get a few good drops. Nothing out of the ordinary, but 1 decent drop out of 5-8 packs seems to be fairly accurate.

I feel. I'm basically foregoing refreshes to (week 1) get full gear from shipments and (week 2) get a ship pack a day. Is that big enough? lol
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

I feel. I'm basically foregoing refreshes to (week 1) get full gear from shipments and (week 2) get a ship pack a day. Is that big enough? lol

It is not a bad plan just stop at some point, best stopping point is when you can do t3 of ability mat challenge or take top spot in fleet arena.
  • Options

It is not a bad plan just stop at some point, best stopping point is when you can do t3 of ability mat challenge or take top spot in fleet arena.

Ehhh, not really accurate, that last one. If you're short on gear and mods for a couple of pilots you may well never be able to reach the top 5.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Ehhh, not really accurate, that last one. If you're short on gear and mods for a couple of pilots you may well never be able to reach the top 5.

That's why I gave 2 recommended stopping points not knowing strength of pilots. Which ever one you can get too first
  • Options
    There are a few whales in my shard, so I'm counting on top ten at best. Right now I'm just under 20 on a regular basis. I just want my Zetas! I don't even like ships, but I can't avoid them with those delicious cuffs and delectable Vader shards and most of all those mouthwatering Zeta materials!!
  • Options
    I've gotten quite a few. I unlocked Slave 1 that way. They aren't terrible, but Gspy seems to be a common one and it's a fairly useless ship. I've gotten others that are ready to unlock but no pilots. If you have a decent amount of pilots, they're good. If not, I'd farm the long path.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    pac0naut wrote: »
    I've gotten quite a few. I unlocked Slave 1 that way. They aren't terrible, but Gspy seems to be a common one and it's a fairly useless ship. I've gotten others that are ready to unlock but no pilots. If you have a decent amount of pilots, they're good. If not, I'd farm the long path.

Through multiple packs?? Or did you get it one shot lol

At this point I have TFP, GSoldier, and SF's ships and pilots. I only have pilot for FOTP and Boba. If I got a ship to 4* I'd farm the pilot though.
  • Galdin_Wan
    589 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've actually had pretty good luck with the ship packs. I've opened probably 10-12, and probably half were more than 10 shards. Only two were for a ship I didn't have the pilot for (Geonosian Spy). This was the best one.

IMG_2370_zpsyasllljw.png
  • Options
    Galdin_Wan wrote: »
    I've actually had pretty good luck with the ship packs. I've opened probably 10-12, and probably half were more than 10 shards. Only two were for a ship I didn't have the pilot for (Geonosian Spy). This was the best one.

IMG_2370_zpsyasllljw.png

im salivating........
  • Options
    I got 50 for Rex. The Slave 1 was about 65 shards or so from packs, rest were shipments.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    Okay. So they're not total trash. Might do a week or so of em and see where I stand. I got one pack with 25 Sun Fac shards.

I'll probably sit down and calculate how many shards I need to make it all work. If that's too far out of reach I'll go for the packs.
  • Options
    The only time that it drop a few 100s was on the anniversary. I bought 25 packs and got 2 100, 1 85, a few 30s and some 15s. The other times I bought a few are mostly garbage.
  • Options
    I've bought 2. First time mostly 10s, second was all 5s. Yeah they kind of are horrible
  • Options
    Oh I meant the mega packs
  • Options
    I have bought a good amount of ships packs, probably about £100 worth by now. If you are starting out and have little ships then the data packs are good. You will hit ten most of the time but I have hit over that (up to 85) a couple of times. The problem with RNG is that you may not have the toon but end up getting the ship (GeoSpy).
    Once your ships hit 4*, the packs are okay for a top up but you will not get much of a gain out of it in my opinion. However I still do it when I have had a bit too much of the silly juice....

The Mega Pack was bought once and will never happen again. I just got shards for toons that I have
    7*, and 10 falcon shards in the last slot just to rub salt in the wound. No Falcon for you but have a taste!!

• Options
    It sounds like they're decent, at least. I think my biggest worry is just that fifth dark side ship. GSoldier, Sun Fac, FOTP, and TFP and their ships are easy enough to farm, but who else? I considered Slave and Scimitar, but I rarely see them and I'm worried I'll take too long with them.
  • Options
    It's a lottery. If going with the datapacks, I would plan to spend a set amount of crystals in advance, and stick to that number. Maybe 10-20k. I probably bought 40-45 of the packs right when ships came out to rush getting the zeta ability challenge done and don't regret it. I think out of those pulls I got three 100 shard drops, 4-5 85 shard drops, and maybe a dozen 25-35 drops combined.

So it's expensive, but seems to be a better value to me than spending $100 on say, three characters I can't farm. I am farming zeta mats now and letting my ship arena rank slide on an insane server, so no complaints.
  • Options
    I bought the Executrix bundle that got me 50 Sun Fac shards and a bunch of blueprints and character shards of pilots I didn't have maxed out and also shards and gear to get Tarkin to 5* (I believe) so that was worth it for me. I already have Sun Fac at 7* now buy getting the rest of his shards through Ship Shipments and then finishing him off with Guild Shipments.

I've bought like ten 499 crystal data cards, but that was early on. I got 100 blueprints of FO Tie-Fighter on one pull, but mostly 10 and 15 blueprints per pull.

To me, it didn't make sense to buy any more 499 data cards after I started going because my shard isn't all that competitive and I've stayed in the Top 15 throughout the inception of ships. Now, I'm top 4 to 7 easy. So all the Ship currency I get (along with GW tokens spent on blueprints) has made it easy for me to develop my fleet.

Now, I'm two 5-star ships away from unlocking the Zeta Mats challenge and I should have that done by this weekend.

So I'd say invest in Ships to start out, but you don't need to go too crazy on them unless your shard is really competitive and you really want to place high.
  • Options
    KyloRey wrote: »
    I bought the Executrix bundle that got me 50 Sun Fac shards and a bunch of blueprints and character shards of pilots I didn't have maxed out and also shards and gear to get Tarkin to 5* (I believe) so that was worth it for me. I already have Sun Fac at 7* now buy getting the rest of his shards through Ship Shipments and then finishing him off with Guild Shipments.

I've bought like ten 499 crystal data cards, but that was early on. I got 100 blueprints of FO Tie-Fighter on one pull, but mostly 10 and 15 blueprints per pull.

To me, it didn't make sense to buy any more 499 data cards after I started going because my shard isn't all that competitive and I've stayed in the Top 15 throughout the inception of ships. Now, I'm top 4 to 7 easy. So all the Ship currency I get (along with GW tokens spent on blueprints) has made it easy for me to develop my fleet.

Now, I'm two 5-star ships away from unlocking the Zeta Mats challenge and I should have that done by this weekend.

So I'd say invest in Ships to start out, but you don't need to go too crazy on them unless your shard is really competitive and you really want to place high.

Gotcha. What are you planning on doing for your fifth dark side ship? At this point for me, the only accessible option looks like GSpy's ship, but I'd have to farm a whopping 80 shards just to unlock him from Cantina..... not super feeling it.

That's probably the biggest reason I want to go for packs, is to speed up production on Slave/Scimitar.