Rogue one question? (Spoilers)

Lkw
125 posts Member
edited December 2016
So at the end of the movie Leia goes to hperspace with the DS plans presumably heading to tatooine? A) why doesn't she transmit the plans to the rebels while flying
B ) why not just go to yavin IV herself?
C)how does Vader catch her before she gets to tatooine, once you go to hyperspace youre home free right? But Vader is chasing her before even getting to the planet at start of anh...You'd think they woulda just came out of hyperspace right by the planet then landed?

Replies

• Options
    Disney messes stuff up and forgets "small" details.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lkw wrote: »
    So at the end of the movie Leia goes to hperspace with the DS plans presumably heading to tatooine? A) why doesn't she transmit the plans to the rebels while flying
    C)how does Vader catch her before she gets to tatooine, once you go to hyperspace youre home free right? But Vader is chasing her before even getting to the planet at start of anh...You'd think they woulda just came out of hyperspace right by the planet then landed?

A) Her ship may not have transmitting capabilities. Also, hers was the only ship that was left on Scariff.
    B ) If they were rushing the jump, they might not have had time to calculate all the way to Yavin. The hyperdrive could have broken, etc.
    C) If you read the lore, there are multiple ways to manipulate hyperspace. Some ships are faster (such as the Millennium Falcon), and you can pull a ship out of hyperspace.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »

A) Her ship may not have transmitting capabilities. Also, hers was the only ship that was left on Scariff.
    B ) If they were rushing the jump, they might not have had time to calculate all the way to Yavin. The hyperdrive could have broken, etc.
    C) If you read the lore, there are multiple ways to manipulate hyperspace. Some ships are faster (such as the Millennium Falcon), and you can pull a ship out of hyperspace.

The pulling out of hyperspace in the rebels was a failed program.
  • snarzenal
    316 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Besides the fact that she was running from VADER and you cannot hide from a force user (unless you are one), her ship was already in rough shape from the battle at Scarif when A New Hope starts. Add that to Vader' Star Destroyer blasting her cornelian corvette mercilessly, before and after the jump...and you can understand how she didn't have time to get to a safe site for transmitting.

In episode one we see the droid army prevent transmissions of any kind from leaving Naboo and that particular chapter is around thirty years previous to "a new hope" so it's not all that hard to imagine Vader blocking her ship's transmission, considering he knows what he's after, where it is, and who has it.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options
    A) I'm not sure if those capabilities exist while in hyper space. Additionally, it was a very large file and the ship may not have had the capabilities to transmit such a file in any reasonable time.

B & C) Hyperspace travel is made along well known routes. If you know where the ship entered hyperspace and in what trajectory you can narrow it down to a handful of routes. I'm sure the Empire had the means to track each one, and I guess Vader got lucky in which one his Star Destroyer searched. The Rebels surely knew they would be tracked, so no point in leading them directly to your rebel base. Additionally, with a sith lord on your tail it's not a bad idea to grab a jedi for protection.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Aero wrote: »
    A) I'm not sure if those capabilities exist while in hyper space. Additionally, it was a very large file and the ship may not have had the capabilities to transmit such a file in any reasonable time.

B & C) Hyperspace travel is made along well known routes. If you know where the ship entered hyperspace and in what trajectory you can narrow it down to a handful of routes. I'm sure the Empire had the means to track each one, and I guess Vader got lucky in which one his Star Destroyer searched. The Rebels surely knew they would be tracked, so no point in leading them directly to your rebel base. Additionally, with a sith lord on your tail it's not a bad idea to grab a jedi for protection.

A: how did it get transmitted to the ship in the first place then?
  • Options
    Supercat wrote: »

Didn't the movie show this part?
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options

Yes it did. Was carried on a data card and hand delivered to the Princess herself.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

Yes it did. Was carried on a data card and hand delivered to the Princess herself.

It was but if it was such a large ammount of data, how did the original ship get it in 2 seconds?
  • Options
    Maybe there was a tracker on the ship.
  • Lkw
    125 posts Member
    Options
    In all other instances whenever there is a battle or a chase and a ship goes to hyperspace it's gone...Home free...No following it or tracking where it went...
    Plus I find it very hard to believe they would predict she'd take the plans to tatooine of all places.

To me it just makes no sense Leia was at that battle...They shoulda had the flagship recieve the plans then Vader's Star destroyer disable it's communications and hyperspace then Vader boards just like he did they pass off the plans to a docked ship that tries to escape but gets destroyed as well, but before it blows it's able to send out a distress call that Leia's ship answers and recieve the plans but the empire detects the transmission...That way we still see Vader kick **** and the beginning of ANH makes sense
  • DarthLucaz
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Rebels had a system where they made multiple jumps to shake any pursuit before returning to base. There is a name for this protocol, It was named in one of the new canon novels. It is almost identical to the Ghost Protocol for human Ships in the Halo series when retreating from a Covanent engagement. I believe it was in either Twilight Company or Weapon of a Jedi. There are multiple forms of tracking Hyperspace travel. All lanes are precalculated. In weapon of a Jedi R2 and a nearhuman species called a Given calculated a new hyperspace route, and it showed just how difficult the task was. In the Novel Tarkin, Vader pursues a group of 'terrorists' across the galaxy using multiple methods of tracking. Some hyperspace lanes require a kind of registry when used, leaving a footprint.

The deeper into Imperial space one is the easier for the Empire to track hyperspace travel. Since Scariff was deep in imperial territory any and all routes out of the system would be monitered. Further out, tracking becomes more difficult.

I've read every new canon source, ask me anything.
  • Lkw
    125 posts Member
    Options
    So if the rebels had that protocol I'm sure Leia's ship woulda used it to avoid being followed?

in the book canon is it really hard for ships to transmit data files?
  • DarthLucaz
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So if the rebels had that protocol I'm sure Leia's ship woulda used it to avoid being followed?

in the book canon is it really hard for ships to transmit data files?

Book spoilers

Right but it is not infallible. The reason, in Weapon of a Jedi, that R2 and the Given had to basically pave a new Hyperspace Lane was because all routes out of system were either being monitered by the empire or had Imperial ships with special tractor beams that could pull any ship out of Hyperspace. Especially with it being Vader in pursuit of the Tantive IV(The ship leia is on), it is within the realm of possibility that Vader followed her through hyperspace to Tatooine. The Tarkin novel is basically a book about a Hyperspace Chase and one of the best in the new Canon. That is where they detail how hyperspace ttravel works the most.

As for the data transmission once the plans get transfered to Leia, we have to make some assumptions. One that the Holonet(star wars internet) is being monitered during the Scariff battle. It is under strict Imperial scrutiny. I doubt any transmission would be safe. Not only that but if the Imperials were to track a transmission from the Tantive IV to Yavin, A New Hope wouldnt happen because the Rebels would be snuffed out. Safer to try and lose any pursuit through multiple hyperspace jumps and make the delivery by hand. Unfortunately Vader outwitted her and caught up with them. Thats how i look at it at least.
  • Options
    Spoiler!!!!

In rouge one, bail organa talks to mon mothma I believe, they decide they need to contact kenobi, bail says he will send someone he trusts. (The princess) she was at the battle of scarif, when she detached from the hull of the mon calimari cruiser she heads to tattooine to get kenobi, Vader catches up as they come out of hyperspace.
    A. Who says you can transmit a death star plan sized file while in hyperspace??

B. She didn't go to yavin because she had a different mission

C. Star destroyers are very fast in hyper space, ship speeds vary.