Star Wars rebels vs the clone wars

Since rebels came out, I've heard mixed opinions about it. I personally think the clone wars is better, but rebels is still okish. The main reason I dislike rebels is because it cancelled an entire season of the clone wars that was almost finished, and some of the episodes we never really got to see. What do you guys think? Clone wars or rebels?

Replies

• Options
    I have recently started the Rebels show, and so far I am very on the fence. While I like the idea of seeing more story about what happened between Episode 3 and 4, there is a lot I dislike about the new toon. One odd thing being the new look of the lightsabers...they look like thin little sticks. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    Vertigo322 wrote: »
    I have recently started the Rebels show, and so far I am very on the fence. While I like the idea of seeing more story about what happened between Episode 3 and 4, there is a lot I dislike about the new toon. One odd thing being the new look of the lightsabers...they look like thin little sticks. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

Yep I noticed them. They're like kids playing with colorful needles.

• Options
    The clone wars was awesome, haven't watched much of rebels but everything I've seen looks kind of funny
  • Options
    Oh yeah i forgot about th weird thin lightsabers
  • Options
    They purposely made the light sabers thin to align with the original trilogy:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/10/03/star-wars-rebels-lightsabers-exclusive/16633095/
  • Options
    Huh alright I can see why they made the lightsabers different now. I still find it kind of odd though. I would tell anyone that hasn't seen Rebels to go ahead and watch it. Myself, I prefer the Clone Wars series.
  • vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Rebels is better but it is somehow... crazy unrealistic in every way. The fact that peeps don't die when sukad into space is simply annoying. That's why Star Trek has always been better.

And snips shakes her buta so beautifully in Rebels. Or, well, shook.
  • Options
    Rebels like the clone wars gets better the further into it you get
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was reluctant to to watch clone wars after the previous animated disaster of the clone wars...however the CGI clone wars actually impressed me, then this game was released just after i finished watching most of it.

Rebels aint on netflix yet, and i watched a few of rebels via various media and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I will reserve my opinion till i can binge watch rebels on netflix, but already i am disinclined to it...the itty-bitty lightsaber committe has got to go.
  • Options
    ^it is on Netflix in select regions.
  • Options
    vessaharja wrote: »

@vessaharja which regions are these select regions?
  • Options
    I dislike clone wars cause there is no continuity to the storyline. I mean, if you skip an episode, no problem, you don't lose anything storywise. If you skip 10 episodes - same. Miss a season - no problem. What's the point if watching then?
    Rebels at least have some overall plot.
  • Options
    Dyakoff wrote: »
    I dislike clone wars cause there is no continuity to the storyline. I mean, if you skip an episode, no problem, you don't lose anything storywise. If you skip 10 episodes - same. Miss a season - no problem. What's the point if watching then?
    Rebels at least have some overall plot.

Clone Wars is more backstory than plot. It shows you how some characters developed over the course of the war, and gave you more insight into what was happening in the galaxy where the movies could not. It also allowed us to follow multiple people around, rather than just the skywalker family. I think they also realized they didn't have enough plot to begin with, which is why they began making more lengthy plotlines towards the end of the series.

I've only watched season 1 of rebels, and it wasn't great, but it was alright. I'm hoping to watch more of it, but haven't been able to.
  • TyloRen
    381 posts Moderator
    Options
    Clone Wars has some really awesome episodes, some of them you can skip. Only about a season and a half through Rebels, and I enjoyed Clone Wars more so far. Anakin, Ahsoka, Kenobi and Rex make that show great.
  • vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

Netflix in British Overseas Territories, South America and the Netherlands. Also in Scandinavia. I'm not sure if Netflix still openly allows using tunnels to change regions. If so, then use one to gain access to different regions.

Murica regions need Disney channels because, well, Disney.
  • Options
    Both are great. But Clone wars has more developed stories since they are split into 2-4 episodes mostly while rebels is mostly 1 besides the double epsiodes (which are the best). But Rebels connects way more to the overall star wars story while most of Clone Wars is irrelevant to anything.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

Netflix in British Overseas Territories, South America and the Netherlands. Also in Scandinavia. I'm not sure if Netflix still openly allows using tunnels to change regions. If so, then use one to gain access to different regions.

Murica regions need Disney channels because, well, Disney.

Yeah, Disney controls everything over here haha. Thanks for the info though!
  • Options
    Anytime. I think there is only one season on Netflix. Had to find "other means" of watching it myself too.
  • Options
    Both are great. Clone wars didn't get great until 3 or 4 seasons in. And maul's story arc was some of the best Star Wars I've seen. Rebels started out very kid oriented but the season 2 finale marked it venturing into more adult oriented. Season 3 has been pretty good so far
  • Options
    Both are great. Clone wars didn't get great until 3 or 4 seasons in. And maul's story arc was some of the best Star Wars I've seen. Rebels started out very kid oriented but the season 2 finale marked it venturing into more adult oriented. Season 3 has been pretty good so far

Especially the season 2 finale. I thought that episode was about a thousand times better than any of the previous ones. Adding an imperial character like Thrawn who doesn't screw up all the time will hopefully steer season 3 in the right direction.
    F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • Options
    I like clone wars, but some episodes let it down, one that springs to mind is the R2/ 3po, going to buy fruit for a cake. That was lame.
    Lost in the 20th century
  • Skywalker_Vader1
    336 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Not even close. Clone wars is better. You forget you are watching a cartoon sometimes when watching it. It's that good. Rebels is all cartooney and just not as good. The best thing rebels did was bring Ashoka and Vader into it last season and now neither have been on it at all this new season. At least they have kept Maul in it and added thrawn. Now to get a scene with thrawn and Vader. That would be great
  • Options
    I've seen them both, and personally I prefer the clone wars. I'm not the biggest fan of the rebels way of telling the story and actually having an overall plot, because it causes filler episodes to go in. The clone wars in my opinion never really had filler episodes due to its format; each 3 or 4 episodes was an entirely different story (in some cases a continuation of a previous one), so it was kind of hard to have filler. The other reason I prefer the clone wars is the better non-lightsaber duel combat. In rebels, you almost always see the rebels running away from the empire constantly, whether it be a couple of TIEs (just blow up the things), or a star destroyer (definitely reasonable to run). In the clone wars, when the protagonists came up against one separatist capital ship, it was a cake walk. The battles in the clone wars were overall larger, felt more real and intense, all while doing a nice job as showing the effects of the war on ordinary people as well as entire planets in some episodes. Rebels battles feel far too small and boring, although they do have some great lightsaber duels (Kanan vs the inquisitor, Ahsoka vs Vader). Hopefully that changes when the rebels execute that strike they have been planning/ preparing for, and Thrawn is hopefully there so we can get a good large scale battle (The battle of Lothal?) like the battle of Scarif and the battle of Endor.

Rebels is a good show with some interesting characters, but I don't feel that it has yet reached the heights that the clone wars has reached, and probbaly won't last as long either (although seeing the battle of Scarif from the rebels eyes would be awesome).
  • Options
    Can't stand Rebels- Or, for that matter ANY animation suffering from Muppet Baby syndrome.
  • Options
    Ok. Rebels, while it has had a decent season 1,2 and some of 3, just pales in comparison to seasons 1-3 of the clone wars. In like, the first 5 episodes of the clone wars, we were introduced to several new characters that would appear in later episodes, while characters that we already knew were expanded on and fleshed out more. In addition to that, we saw some simply awesome battles and other things that really showed us why the CIS are people to be feared. The malevolence took out an entire fleet in a matter of minutes. Like, 1 squad of commando droids took over a clone out post in seconds. Rebels decorates the power of the empire decently, but the storm troopers are goofier than the battle droids at times, and all the head officers just seem really stupid and arrogant. Also, in the clone wars we see Jedi and the clones holding their own against impossible odds, and winning. (That episode in season 1 with Yoda and the 3 red clones, ima gun di, the sitadel series, etc.) in rebels, they're facing impossibler odds, but all they do is run, or hide. I get they're using guirilla(don't know if I spelled that right) warfare, but there is no way a big ship with guns can be scared off by like, 2 tie fighters, and 2 Jedi and 3 other people are pinned down by 1 squad of storm troopers.
    "oohh but rebels is only in season 3" yeah, well in season three of the clone wars, we were introduced to savage opress, and had the sitadel series, which imo, are some of the best Star Wars anythings ever( except for when echo died :( ( and yes I know he was supposed to be alive in season 6, but b/c of rebels, we don't get a full 6th season)).

But wait, there's more!

In the clone wars something was almost always accomplished by either the separatists or the republic, whether it be breaking some one out of prison, winning a planet over, or destroying an enemy fleet,something was done. In rebels, there's so much filler, like "ohh let's go attack this one non star destroyer, and take some stuff, and not die or kill anything in the process" that's like breaking into a cop car, and stealing the cops hat. Sure, it makes the cop mad, and the police dept is down a hat, but you didn't really do something. Basically what I'm saying here, is that in the clone wars, something or some one can be lost,or destroyed or killed, and it's a huge blow. On the other hand, the rebels never have anyone die, cuz it's a kids show and stuff, and everything they do to the empire is like tickling their pinky toe. It's slightly annoying but really ultimately doesn't do anything.
    Oh yeah and another bonus thing too also is that clone wars is gritty. There are people SUFFOCATING IN THE VACUUM OF SPACE AND DYING AND GETTING ACTUALLY KILLED N'STUFF and the darkest thing in rebels is Kanin going blind( no pun intended) and guess what?? Freaking chirrut imwe, some random blind person with slight force abilities can sense things n'stuff and is FINE. Kanin is a FULL FLEDGED JEDI (kind of) and although he is inexperienced, should be able to handle it, so really there is no loss what so ever. Also, they rotate villains in and out every season, and besides agent kallus, no original villains have lasted more than one season.
    Ok that's all. Rebuttal this. I DARR YEW
  • Options
    Also I dare you to read this small novel. I started this like an actual debate topic but it kinda turned into a rant of sorts... well, as I said before I DAR YUW
  • Options
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    Ok. Rebels, while it has had a decent season 1,2 and some of 3, just pales in comparison to seasons 1-3 of the clone wars. In like, the first 5 episodes of the clone wars, we were introduced to several new characters that would appear in later episodes, while characters that we already knew were expanded on and fleshed out more. In addition to that, we saw some simply awesome battles and other things that really showed us why the CIS are people to be feared. The malevolence took out an entire fleet in a matter of minutes. Like, 1 squad of commando droids took over a clone out post in seconds. Rebels decorates the power of the empire decently, but the storm troopers are goofier than the battle droids at times, and all the head officers just seem really **** and arrogant. Also, in the clone wars we see Jedi and the clones holding their own against impossible odds, and winning. (That episode in season 1 with Yoda and the 3 red clones, ima gun di, the sitadel series, etc.) in rebels, they're facing impossibler odds, but all they do is run, or hide. I get they're using guirilla(don't know if I spelled that right) warfare, but there is no way a big ship with guns can be scared off by like, 2 tie fighters, and 2 Jedi and 3 other people are pinned down by 1 squad of storm troopers.
    "oohh but rebels is only in season 3" yeah, well in season three of the clone wars, we were introduced to savage opress, and had the sitadel series, which imo, are some of the best Star Wars anythings ever( except for when echo died :( ( and yes I know he was supposed to be alive in season 6, but b/c of rebels, we don't get a full 6th season)).

But wait, there's more!

In the clone wars something was almost always accomplished by either the separatists or the republic, whether it be breaking some one out of prison, winning a planet over, or destroying an enemy fleet,something was done. In rebels, there's so much filler, like "ohh let's go attack this one non star destroyer, and take some stuff, and not die or kill anything in the process" that's like breaking into a cop car, and stealing the cops hat. Sure, it makes the cop mad, and the police dept is down a hat, but you didn't really do something. Basically what I'm saying here, is that in the clone wars, something or some one can be lost,or destroyed or killed, and it's a huge blow. On the other hand, the rebels never have anyone die, cuz it's a kids show and stuff, and everything they do to the empire is like tickling their pinky toe. It's slightly annoying but really ultimately doesn't do anything.
    Oh yeah and another bonus thing too also is that clone wars is gritty. There are people SUFFOCATING IN THE VACUUM OF SPACE AND DYING AND GETTING ACTUALLY KILLED N'STUFF and the darkest thing in rebels is Kanin going blind( no pun intended) and guess what?? Freaking chirrut imwe, some random blind person with slight force abilities can sense things n'stuff and is FINE. Kanin is a FULL FLEDGED JEDI (kind of) and although he is inexperienced, should be able to handle it, so really there is no loss what so ever. Also, they rotate villains in and out every season, and besides agent kallus, no original villains have lasted more than one season.
    Ok that's all. Rebuttal this. I DARR YEW

I agree with you even though I haven't watched past season 3 in clone wars so I don't exactly know what I am talking about...

I do have hope for Rebels season 3 though, I feel like there is so much potential there with Thrawn and... Thrawn and... well I guess Thrawn is really the only reason lol

The first seasons of clone wars were brutal to watch though I could barely get through them. They seemed so badly scripted and I cringed on the inside every time someone said anything. The battles were pretty cool even if they were not as well animated as the later seasons.
    F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • Options
    Also I dare you to read this small novel. I started this like an actual debate topic but it kinda turned into a rant of sorts... well, as I said before I DAR YUW

Read it all lol
  • Options
    Cesium wrote: »

Read it all lol

Sorry I can't give you those few hours of your life back lol