Droids still viable?

Hey everyone,
Fairly new player here, I spent most of my playing time not in a guild and haven't been up to date on the meta or effective strategies. I was a fan of droids in the movies so luckily I aimed towards farming droids which turned out to not be a bad accidental choice and appeared to be the previous meta... however as I am only lvl 45 I was looking for some advice as to how I should proceed before it's too late.

Current arena team:
HK (L)
Jawa engineer
Nebit
Ig88
Ig86
All four star with Max gear for my level (one or two spaces below purple)

I place in top 100 in my shard but from what I understand droids are no longer as popular and there are much better routes to take. Other notable characters are Lando, tarkin, Zam, ackbar, Mace, boba and the usual characters like Chewy Talia JC etc. Should I forget about droids and farm a new route or are they still viable? (I am f2p)
Thank you for any advice

Replies

• evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    Do you mean viable for Arena? Or something else?

I run droids for the majority of GW. I find them to be a good fit there. They are also a required team for the AAT raid, so they are certainly viable there.

For Arena, they are somewhat viable but not as powerful as previously. However, note that droids have ALWAYS been a team to contend with in this game.

The current meta seems to be Rebels with Wiggs, Lando, and usually STH plus 1. The Empire is rising though, but you need Rebels to get EP AND you really need a shoretrooper, who is not farmable outside of tournaments. But there's no reason you can't be working to bring up these toons while keeping your droids on top.

The game really requires you to have several teams around G10 at this point, all centered around different factions. If I were you, I'd work on getting some rebels geared up as your 2nd team.
  • Options
    Yes the droids are still viable in arena, I get top 5 every day on a december 2015 shards with people who run Vader an BF zeta teams. However you need good mods and a fast JE to accomplish this.
  • Options
    +1
  • Rotor
    473 posts Member
    Options
    Droids have disappeared from my shard. They are a top 100 team. They are shard dependant.
  • Unimatrix010
    483 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm trying very hard to make it into the top 20 with my wiggsdo, han, ep squad. I have zero chance vs droids if they run b2. I tried everything I could think of to no avail. Gonna have to avoid them.

So yeah, I think droids are pretty good still. Keep in mind that I'm only lvl 73, though.

If anyone has tips, I'd appreciate it.
  • Options
    I have level 85, and I ran droids successfully until the level cap increase from 80 to 85 and the introduction of Shore/Baze. There's just too much that has been added without droids getting love for them to still be viable. Wiggs and Rex are both direct counters to the crit powerhouse of droids. For lower level players, I suggest that you use them in arena, but plan for your exit to a stronger team. Here are the most successful comps that I used:

47, 88, 100, B2, JE
    47, 86, 88, B2, JE

If you are f2p, gear will be a challenge as they want lots of carbanti sensors, stun guns and thermal detonators.

The best teams to pivot toward are the following:

Rebels w/Wiggs, Chaze is a bonus - actually, you will rule your shard if you have them
    Empire w/Palpatine, Vader Zeta, TFP, and Shoretrooper
    Boba Fett w/scoundrles and bounty hunters

This is all subject to change, but that is the current state of things.
  • Options
    I'm running gk with my droids. It's insane how good it feels. Not as good as an all jedi team would be but by god it's amazing.
  • Options
    They don't do well anymore, barley can reach 50 ish arena rank and will fall bellow 100 by next day for me, can't hold rank without b2 maxed and need enegenier at +240 speed to be efective against other teams. Even so can't beat most land0/wedge/bigs/anakin/RG/Emperor/ at gear 10 teams past the mentioned 50 rank

They are quite good in GW especially with daka/ewok elder and good in some events, great for quests idk I would get them even now, but if you are a fresh player I would go for bigs lando wedge team since they will take roughly the same
  • Options
    @NathanK which Droids do you use with GK?
  • Options
    @ChillyCanuck , yes, droids are still viable in the arena, but you need lots of speed for them to be effective. The current droid meta is 47, 88, 86, B2 and JE. So you should probably replace Nebit for B2. Furthermore, B2 fits well within other great squads with Boba fett, EP etc.. so you can't go wrong with farming B2.

If you don't have great speed mods, I recommend modding your droids so that the turnorder of your droids will be:
    1. JE (with his turn meter up)
    2. 47 aoe
    3. 88 aoe
    4. 86
    5. Nebit triple assist

You can use this spreadsheet to calculate the turn order of your droids :)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-RqMTNkj9If0f1Lr-Umv9BLsKKTRwF6GK4nDklAdDZ0/edit#gid=0

And the droid meta is great in GW as well :)
    SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].
  • Options
    @NathanK which Droids do you use with GK?

@RobbeRobbeRobbe also in order of turn.
    Je
    B2
    Hk(L)
    Gk.

Gk absorbs a crapton of damage. He also stops squishy je or 88 one shotted by wiggs as after the first crit lands crit immunity procs and the next two noodles hit. Then his taunt procs and he sponges. I've had a lot of arena battles where gk never gets a go. He is hammered into the ground from the get go. His taunt is insanely handy. But then you look at the rest of the team and hardly a scratch apart from some aoe. Palps is a pain with the stuns tho.

Gk's negotiator cleanse and then buff oh my once that is pushed its all over. I found out that with retribution in a leia triple tap JE threw 3 detonators back at her. That was kinda cool. Was a maxed 11 gw node. Not arena.
    Gk is so good that im thinking of dumping je. With the amount of tfp going faster than my je anyway i think maybe k2 or a dps can go in instead. Dunno yet.

• Options
    @NathanK thx
    How fast is your JE mine is at 249+50.

I use a team of JE K2 HK(L) 88 B2 all @G11 except K2@G10

Gk Only 5* G5
  • Options
    @NathanK thx
    How fast is your JE mine is at 249+50.

I use a team of JE K2 HK(L) 88 B2 all @G11 except K2@G10

Gk Only 5* G5

Nice, you have a fast JE there. I run the old droid meta with 47(L), 88, 86, B2 and JE with 245 speed. The other guys have an average of +70 speed.

Are you able to beat General Kenobi with Barris Zeta squads with your setup? Or with your setup @NathanK?

Interesting to see that General Kenobi is viable with droids! Will definitely try him out in a few weeks, after I unlock him :)
  • Options
    @Chewie_says_Aaarww I'm a lucky guy nobody runs Barris Zeta but against QGJ Zeta i don't have any problems.
  • Options
    Droids are no more viable :(
  • saule
    53 posts Member
    Options
    I have droids with JE and no problem staying in top 5. We have one guy with GK and Bariss. I can beat him when he has Wiggs. I cannot beat him when he has 5's and GK lead.
  • Options
    I am also using a droid team for arena, and I only have problems with Rex lead. Using Hk,ig88,ig86,B2,Je-gear11 everyone and i am easily #1. My JE speed is at 267 :)
  • Options
    Drabik017 wrote: »
    I am also using a droid team for arena, and I only have problems with Rex lead. Using Hk,ig88,ig86,B2,Je-gear11 everyone and i am easily #1. My JE speed is at 267 :)

You must not have any Chaze teams on your server.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    I always enjoyed finding droid teams in the arena, because my clone team did well against them. I've had to move away from my clones, because nobody is using droids anymore.
  • Options
    RyanRen wrote: »

Chaze are no problem for a droid squad. Unless Chaze is combined with Gereral Kenobi.

@Drabik017 , wow, your JE is fast lol! Is that 267 his base speed without the droid bonus? For me, rex leads are a pain too :p I am glad EP squads are doing so well against Rex leads, so Rex leads are starting to disappear from the arena.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    My main is on a late march '16 arena shard. There are 3 standard droid teams with JE + B2 that finish in top—10 every day, and one more in the 11—20 bracket. They are hence still viable among the rebel/empire/Boba Fett teams here.
    I made an alt account a long time ago with the sole purpose of creating a droid team. I'm happy that I did. They are much fun to play. I finish GW every day I choose to do it (rare). Before the AAT raid was nerfed, they ensured me a 1st rank in every AAT raid.

Long story short:
    Yes, they are still viable. I don't think they will ever become useless.
  • Options
    They are still somewhat viable. Relying in Jawa engineer is the downfall for most Droid teams, as well as auto-taunt opponents. If raid Han stuns JE, if Biggs triple shots, if EP stuns, or wedge Ani AOE back to back he is out of the match. If b2 fails to clear a taunt your are also in trouble. There are just so many things that can go wrong at the start of the match for a Droid team. Also Biggs chirrut are problematic for Droids as they both get massive boosts when critically hit. This is just on offense. Droids on defense are very easily beaten. I've fallen from 8th place to 70s overnight.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Options
    RyanRen wrote: »

Chaze are no problem for a droid squad. Unless Chaze is combined with Gereral Kenobi.

@Drabik017 , wow, your JE is fast lol! Is that 267 his base speed without the droid bonus? For me, rex leads are a pain too :p I am glad EP squads are doing so well against Rex leads, so Rex leads are starting to disappear from the arena.

Its the base speed, +114 from only mods :) i am using 4speed mods
  • Options
    They are still somewhat viable. Relying in Jawa engineer is the downfall for most Droid teams, as well as auto-taunt opponents. If raid Han stuns JE, if Biggs triple shots, if EP stuns, or wedge Ani AOE back to back he is out of the match. If b2 fails to clear a taunt your are also in trouble. There are just so many things that can go wrong at the start of the match for a Droid team. Also Biggs chirrut are problematic for Droids as they both get massive boosts when critically hit. This is just on offense. Droids on defense are very easily beaten. I've fallen from 8th place to 70s overnight.

+1
  • E00N
    147 posts Member
    Options
    I think droids in arena are "average" right now. But all need one droid team - for Heroic AAT in P2.

I am only lvl 70 right now, but i have maxed STH from arena (for credit heist/crit chance mods), right now i am working on Tarkin(because my fleet) and then will be Leia (complete rebel team P4 AAT/Rebel B team)

Next will be focus on IG88 / HK47 / Nebit for AAT ...

I havent droid team in top 50 on my young shard i see
  • Options
    Hk47, ig88, Jawa Engineer, B2, IG100 is the top droid squad for arena. Replace b2 with IG86 if there's nothing to dispell and to battle phase 2 of the AAT raid.

Ig100 is the hidden gem of droids. Max gear/level he can solo Baze or Fives and has single-handed won me matches of 1 vs 3 using his counters and AoE. If you aren't farming him you're making a mistake.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Options
    JinSaotome can I have your arguments to say that 100 is better than 86 in an arena droid squad (hk,je,88,b2)?
    I have both of them maxed and i can't decide who's the best.. 100 has the aoe that work well with hk leader ability, but 86 can burst down a target..
  • Chewie_says_Aaarww
    753 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I might have to revoke my statement that droids are viable in the arena because they depend on critical hits. I am talking about top 5 arena spots. Why are critical hits / droids no longer viable?

1) Barris Zeta: each time on of my droids crits, the enemy regains 20% of their max health. Combined with General Kenobi, my droids don't do enough damage to kill them. If there's a droid players who can beat these squads, please let me know.

2) Maul Zeta: When a droid crits an Empire character (EP, Vader, Maul) they gain stealth and advantage. You can't hit them again, EP stuns everyone and you're gone.

This is not only applicable to droids. Biggs, Wedge and Lando also depend on critical hits. Unless droids get a Zeta upgrade soon, they are no longer viable in the arena.