Tournaments - do you love to compete?

Prev134
Gawejn
1118 posts Member
Hi everyone
I would like to share my opinion about tournaments. I am not English native speaker so please forgive me faults in this writing. I do play almost 3 months.

My first statement is that I really enjoy tournaments in this game. I participated in few already and my biggest success was 3place in Tie Advanced tournament. Why do I enjoy? Couse I love to compete with others players. I can use every toon I have and play for a long time. I also received very good things like gear credits shards.
So for me Tournaments it is something that is great in this game. I am not yet bored by this.
Yes every tournament when I am fully participating I expect to win the best prize I would like to have.
I am not greedy with ally points ( I got bored with Bronziums ) so I spend them all when I am fully involved......
But I am reading that players would like to not have tournaments at all or to change a frames and structure of tournaments. If there wouldnt be tournaments anymore I would be very unhappy about this. I wouldnt have possibility anymore to compete really with others players teams. Couse tournaments are really showing how strong is your rooster, how you are startegize yor play, it can show you where you are really in the game according to other players from tournament. And also You can learn from fight to fight and see your mistakes what to change, what to improve and where to focus your limited resources.

So Do You love to compete?

And as it is competition there can be one to win, it is everywhere.....example sport......there is only gold and silver and bronze......other players dont receive any prize.....they are competing with the best and losing.
I am reading that there should be brackets of points and when you gain enough you will have a prize, but this is not competition anymore. That wouldnt be a torunament anymore but something that only satisfy wanting to have the same gold medal as the best in the game. But if you are not able to win why do you think that you deserve the best prize...gold medal?
That is really strange.
oh Yes complaint about that in other tournament shard I had 10k points, I was 3rd and my friend had 5k points and was first. How can You compare to different tournaments? You had a different torunament. You had a different expierience. You would like to be in different shard where you could easily win and not spend a lot of ap but it is not like this.
There is another complaint that about that players dont like when they cannot win with anyone couse others players have to strong defense teams. They would like to have a shard where they can beat eassily others. Wow that is really silly. It simply shows you that you are not ready to be the best and need time and resources to compete with better players. You need to improve your teams. If You expect that You can win a 6 -7* toon You are just dreaming only. Dont dream. You need time to have really good team and a lot of app.(Which in reality you can have around 720k per month which is a lot and enough for two tournaments if you have a lot of good toons) o yes you can say that guys who are playing a long time they have an advantage and it is not fair. It is very fair, they just maybe trained longer than You so it is very fair (longer training means more galactic war battles) Why do You expect to win with players who are playing this game two three four Times longer than You? That is strange couse You are not ready for this. Be ready and you will win.
Tournaments are too long, but in my opinion 24 houres gives opportunity to participate by everyone and it is not long.

So please dont stop tournaments couse it is one of the best modes in the game. I hope that next tournament I will win first time, but who knows .......I will not complain if it will not happen.

But there is one thing that is destroying the competition. Cheating. This is completely out of this game. That is destroying every tournaments and fun in the game. it is frustrating players who are doing their best in the game without cheating. The developer of this game should prevent fully and protect the game from cheaters. Otherwise all fun is gone. Competition is gone.

Replies

• Options
    Tourneys are awful and the majority of the clientele dislike them
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I compete with other players in arena and in fleet arena every day - often 5+ times each. I don't feel the need to spend 6-8 hours at an inconvenient time to "compete" some more.

Tournament structure is terrible. Shard placement is more important than strategy or deep rosters. It's not competition - it's a repetitive grind against the same 3 or 4 teams....several hundred times. That's not fun (or competition) - that's work. No thanks.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • JVU420
    429 posts Member
    Options
    @Gawejn you're only 3 month in and the tournament shard you're in are lower levels so you are enjoying it. When you get to the higher levels you really don't have a chance against the Whales and Kraken's as they will have way more ally points then you and you won't be placing top 3.
  • Gawejn
    1118 posts Member
    Options
    JVU420 wrote: »
    @Gawejn you're only 3 month in and the tournament shard you're in are lower levels so you are enjoying it. When you get to the higher levels you really don't have a chance against the Whales and Kraken's as they will have way more ally points then you and you won't be placing top 3.

I would like to ask You do You play as long as Kraken or another whales?
  • Gawejn
    1118 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I compete with other players in arena and in fleet arena every day - often 5+ times each. I don't feel the need to spend 6-8 hours at an inconvenient time to "compete" some more.

Tournament structure is terrible. Shard placement is more important than strategy or deep rosters. It's not competition - it's a repetitive grind against the same 3 or 4 teams....several hundred times. That's not fun (or competition) - that's work. No thanks.

You are playing every day arena and fleet arena for 1 hour per day? It means 15-16 hours per month? And You dont call that work but competition?
  • Options
    Great post but yeah, you dont have to deal with whales at your level.
    Competing implies that one is playing against equal or close to equal parties. As tourneys are right now they stop being a true competition the moment you hit 80. A guildmate of mine delayed hitting 80 so he could place first in the Tie tourney. I like competing. I like winning. Its why I play Halo and Overwatch over CoD and Battlefield. I want a challenge. Tourneys are a challenge, but once you hit a certain point it stops being competitive and you hit a wall of blubber so thick it makes Rathtars look like a Rancor. $ is just an acceptable form of cheating but when what others spent affects my ability to play then there is a problem.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Gawejn wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

You are playing every day arena and fleet arena for 1 hour per day? It means 15-16 hours per month? And You dont call that work but competition?

1 hour a day vs. 6-8 hours in one day. I presume you can do math.

There's really no point in starting a thread if you're simply going to try to shout down anyone who disagrees with your opinion.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Benr3600
    1098 posts Member
    Options
    I enjoy the competition, but I don't enjoy the overall tournament in its current form. The reward scaling is entirely too top heavy. For example, I realized the other day that, if you placed #11 and #26 in the two TIE Advanced tournaments...you would end up with a 4* ship, and I'm sorry, but that is complete garbage, and utterly ridiculous. And achieving those ranks would require about 3-5 hours of solid battling per tourney.

And the cheating is rampant. I would be **** if I dedicated all my AP and many hours to go all in for a tournament, only to be beaten out by cheaters.
  • Options
    I hate them
  • Gawejn
    1118 posts Member
    Options
    DarthLucaz wrote: »
    Great post but yeah, you dont have to deal with whales at your level.
    Competing implies that one is playing against equal or close to equal parties. As tourneys are right now they stop being a true competition the moment you hit 80. A guildmate of mine delayed hitting 80 so he could place first in the Tie tourney. I like competing. I like winning. Its why I play Halo and Overwatch over CoD and Battlefield. I want a challenge. Tourneys are a challenge, but once you hit a certain point it stops being competitive and you hit a wall of blubber so thick it makes Rathtars look like a Rancor. $ is just an acceptable form of cheating but when what others spent affects my ability to play then there is a problem.

I am 76 lvl so I am not there. Are You sure that competing implies the one is playing equal or close to equal parties? In sports You can see that players are playing a lot with much stronger opponents and it is still competition. Accepted worldwide. I do understand that money makes a huge diffrence. So it is like this. In any game where money is involved as a way to get stronger it is alwyas like this. But I dont see any point in saying that You cannot have many strong teams. Couse it is not true. You can. It is for free. But needs time.
  • Options
    @Gawejn your point would be valid only if money didn't buy toons that far outclassed toons that are available to the free player, unfortunately, due to whales being able to amass massive amounts of ally points coupled with toons such as Baze and Chirrut make the FTP competing in an arena that is completely unbalanced past lvl 80. So your argument does not hold in the current situation.

• Options
    I love the tournaments. It allows me to use my entire roster, and strategize match ups, and it allows more play time. I get to mix and match toons to fight certain teams. It is the most fun I've had in the game. There are a few things I would change though:

-Change the rewards to allow more character unlocks or higher rewards for players in top 100
    -Fix the cheating issue
    -Don't put tournament exclusive characters as rewards
  • ScottyLee
    221 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    To make the point even farther, lets assume all players had the same toons maxed geared and starred, whales can spend thousands of crystals a day buying refreshes, which is, in effect, buying ally points. Lets also assume that everyone wins every offensive battle, completely even playing field. However, due to the whales spending money on ally points, they are able to fight 500 battles while free players can only fight a fraction of that...how is that a fair competition in your eyes? it is the definition of pay to win....
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options
    I like the fact that I get to fight strong players that aren't in my shard sure. But they can keep that element of the tournament and fix the other 99 problems at the same time. You're harping on a minor positive of the tourneys that will likely be included in whatever next iteration of them that they push out.
  • JVU420
    429 posts Member
    Options
    JVU420 wrote: »

I would like to ask You do You play as long as Kraken or another whales?

I compete until I'm out of ally points. It's a different tournament when you hit 80. It's not competition anymore it's who has more ally points and time. Plus top 100 you'll see +60% or more same meta teams.
  • Gawejn
    1118 posts Member
    Options
    ScottyLee wrote: »
    To make the point even farther, lets assume all players had the same toons maxed geared and starred, whales can spend thousands of crystals a day buying refreshes, which is, in effect, buying ally points. Lets also assume that everyone wins every offensive battle, completely even playing field. However, due to the whales spending money on ally points, they are able to fight 500 battles while free players can only fight a fraction of that...how is that a fair competition in your eyes? it is the definition of pay to win....

Yes we can go further into this. There is a time for a tournament, The same time for everyone. We can play the same amount of battles as whales. Only thing We need the same amount of ally points. So if we have less why do we have less? or why we dont have the amount to have the same amount of fights as whales?
  • Options
    A 3months old placing 3rd? **** must be another one of those ceetturds. Bet it you feel mighty big using god mode. Too bad god mode doesn't work in the forums... amen

• ScottyLee
    221 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I explained that, they buy crystals with real money, and then buy refreshes with the crystals to get more ally points, not sure what you missed in the original explanation?
  • Gawejn
    1118 posts Member
    Options
    A 3months old placing 3rd? **** must be another one of those ceetturds. Bet it you feel mighty big using god mode. Too bad god mode doesn't work in the forums... amen

I am 76lvl, I was 3rd when I was 69 lvl and I do not cheat. I have played a very long time the first tournament with Tie Advanced and there was a strong competition.
  • Options

Yes we can go further into this. There is a time for a tournament, The same time for everyone. We can play the same amount of battles as whales. Only thing We need the same amount of ally points. So if we have less why do we have less? or why we dont have the amount to have the same amount of fights as whales?

So isn't that why they have in game purchases?? What incentive would anyone have to pay a dime if they got zero advantage? I'm not a whale but I'm a realist.... without paying customers your very nice shiny free game would die. I sometimes don't understand the p2p hatred on these forums. The devs aren't making this game or updating it out of the kindness of their heart.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options

Tournaments on a 3 month shard are going to be way different than endgame tournaments. The biggest whales on your server are probably several brackets above you so you don't have to deal with them. And no one has large enough rosters to gain a significant advantage over the rest of the field. AP isn't what really matters in endgame tournaments, but roster strength and depth.
  • Options
    No hatred, if they pay they should get a competitive advantage. But, that's not what you argued, you claim there is an even playing field that has fair competition, the only really competition is who is willing to spend more money, not skill or strategy
  • Options
    Zooey, doesn't money buy roster depth and strength along with ally points?
  • Options
    No hatred, if they pay they should get a competitive advantage. But, that's not what you argued, you claim there is an even playing field that has fair competition, the only really competition is who is willing to spend more money, not skill or strategy

I never once stated "an even playing field" nor "fair". There is a pecking order and sometimes you will be outmatched. You didn't pay $50 to download this game, but someone who paid $5000 should most definitely have a bigger better roster. It is literally how this game is designed. Making the tournament a complete playing field would ruin their business model or any future profits.
  • Options
    I am 76lvl, I was 3rd when I was 69 lvl and I do not cheat. I have played a very long time the first tournament with Tie Advanced and there was a strong competition.

The first tie tournament was a month ago so you were only 2months into the game, noway u had enough ally points to take 3rd w/o divine intervention..aka god mode
  • Options
    So you agree that paying more money equals winning...not sure how you are disagreeing withe me?
  • Gawejn
    1118 posts Member
    Options

The first tie tournament was a month ago so you were only 2months into the game, noway u had enough ally points to take 3rd w/o divine intervention..aka god mode

I spent 180k ally points on this tournament ( i was collecting this for 8 days). I was using around 30 toons in tournaments. I dont understand why You insist that only by cheating I could be 3rd? By the way to next tournament i will have aorund450k ap which i am saving for 18 days. I do GW and everything spent on AP.
  • Options
    So you agree that paying more money equals winning...not sure how you are disagreeing withe me?

I'm totally agreeing that paying gives you an advantage in winning and equals bigger/stronger rosters. Realizing this, I'm not that worried about losing to whales spending thousands. In the long run, it pays for the game to be updated and F2P players should catch up in the long long run if CG/EA stays away from super exclusive tournament toons.
  • Gawejn
    1118 posts Member
    Options
    Please read this and think a while about what I will write.

In current structure of tournament

The winnig factor is time per battle couse constraint is time. Which is for everyone the same.
    If you have a one team that can win battles, than you need amount of ally points to play 24 houres.
    How much ally points is needed for this? 2,4 milion of Ap would be enough?
    Per month You can gather 750k ap so after three months you can have almost the amount to battle all the time and this you can win.

But You have to have at least one team to beat whales teams.

• Options
    I like to compete in them. But I don't like that there are 5000+ players and to get even 6* I need top 3. That is terrible scaling as many toons aren't even usuable till 6*. Now mayber if top 100 of so got 6* I would like it or even 25, but top 3 is unrealistic especially when I'm guarenteed to have at least 3 mega-whales on my server