"Hidden Gems"

What are some toons you have discovered to be "underrated".

Like most people would overlook this toon or talk trash about them, but you have seen this toon break the odds?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I really don't think people talk junk about useful toons. Most of that is reserved for toons who are junk.

There are a lot of non meta teams that work very well.

Droids have been fairly meta proof.

Rex lead can still hold its own, team composition varies from pseudo meta, and out

Similarly to Phasma lead, although I'm not sure she is hanging in there as much any more.

Jedi can make a great team, just not sure the jedi only team really makes the top 10 without a lot of work. Probably a mixed team. It's not the jedi fault, it's just that there are no 5 jedi that you can't find a good reason to sub 1 or 2.
  • ObviouslyNot
    433 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Kyno

Well i mean toons like plo, people usually dismiss him, but I've seen some folks say he can be alright in certain situations.

Also sidious usually gets bashed, but I've seen zeta vader squads using him

Yeah I feel ya on the jedi part. I've been able to get top 10 this past week on a feb. shard with
    Qgj zeta
    Ani
    Aayla
    Yoda
    Shore

If I had gk, not sure how much replacing shore with him would actually help me. I know the cleanse and retribution is a big plus, but shore helps by eating those big shots.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

people bash everything that isn't "meta" currently and complain that there isn't enough diversity in arena ;)

as far as hidden gems go, it's toough to find one these days with the ever increasing power of newly added toons. I'm really hoping Jedi Knight guardian is a hidden gem, but too expensive to gear at the moment xD
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

people bash everything that isn't "meta" currently and complain that there isn't enough diversity in arena ;)

as far as hidden gems go, it's toough to find one these days with the ever increasing power of newly added toons. I'm really hoping Jedi Knight guardian is a hidden gem, but too expensive to gear at the moment xD

Lmao poor jkg. If only the aoe block was 100% on any hit instead of just a crit would make her go a long way. She just needs some Hella speed secondaries and a tm boost to get dat 97 speed into action haha.
  • Options
    I am quite fond of Snowtrooper in GW
    What I wonder is wether his unique triggers on his own death.

then again, he's probably not quite good enough for arena.
    I choose the Red Pill.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    But is 1 toon surrounded by a strong meta really say anything about that toon?

I just feel if you can't make a team based on that toon being there, it's more of a novelty. Which is great in a game about collecting iconic toons.

Plo is no good because he was good and should be there. He good in a strong team, but could easily be replaced.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

I just feel if you can't make a team based on that toon being there, it's more of a novelty. Which is great in a game about collecting iconic toons.

Plo is no good because he was good and should be there. He good in a strong team, but could easily be replaced.

If that 1 toon contributes to the strategy of the strong meta, then yes.
  • Options
    Cad Bane. Good damage and reliable stun and very useful against the jedi you see in Arena, Anakin, QGJ and now Barriss.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    I don't really have any characters that I would call that.
    But the other day I found a lvl15 4* square mod with 12 speed and literally called in a "hidden gem"
  • Options
    Resistance trooper. Turn meter beast with expose team that deals a lot and tends to be ignored (resistance team or near windu/RP)
  • Options
    Ahsoka Tano. She is one of the hardest hitting Jedi, and her special chives you a choice to either heal the team or pretty much take out a toon with <50% health. She heals very well on her own. She is useful in GW, quite good on raids. Probably not so much in arena.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Options
    Anyone use Asajj?
  • Options
    lackhand79 wrote: »
    Ahsoka Tano. She is one of the hardest hitting Jedi, and her special chives you a choice to either heal the team or pretty much take out a toon with <50% health. She heals very well on her own. She is useful in GW, quite good on raids. Probably not so much in arena.

Dont forget her Ship is one of the best! Ashoka is a solid toon!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

If that 1 toon contributes to the strategy of the strong meta, then yes.

I would bet that CUP could be subbed in for side and you wouldn't suffer.

Team synergy doesn't equate to contribution to strategy. It's not a bad thing but there are toins that don't have synergy that would fill that spot better.

I am not knocking these toons or the team synergy, it's just those toons are not the toins that win those battles, in the case of sid, he adds negative effects for vader that is a plus, but other toons could just as easily do that and would also add their own stand alone value.
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can actually name a few.
    HR Scouts was my vanity toon way back before mods. I loved using him and he was the main reason why I got a 7* Palpatine the first time it rolled out. TM manipulation, Stun and good damage he was in my line ups over leia in most cases.

NS Initiate has the potential to be good because she does great damage, can apply buff immunity and has a huge health pool. Sadly NS are lacking and there Synergy is poor. Assaj Zeta may help them but not enough IMO

Someone mentioned Resistance teams and they couldn't be more right. Let me just put it this way.
    Finn lead Zeta
    Rey
    Poe
    RT
    Shore trooper
    They completely annihilated my arena team in the last tournament which was
    Boba lead
    Palp
    TFP
    Anakin
    RG
    Finn is really underrated (This guys mods were really good too JIC)

General Grevious is still missing a little something but the truth is, he is very good as DPS he hits like a beast. I have a friend that does better with GG instead of Nebit in phase 2 of tank.

Also people really bash on Plo Koon but I love him. Use potency set mods on him with speed secondary's and you are going to enjoy him too. He has a dispell on basic, can apply offense down and give TM to all Jedi and clones. His dispel on basic can save you big time from taunters and even the now dreaded Chaze combo.

The only Buff I would like to see on Plo to improve his overall Viability is maybe to add a Zeta that has a 100% chance to dispel all the buffs on the target toon instead of just a chance to plus apply buff immunity or ability block because you know zetas are expensive and should drastically improve a toon. (Also a base potency buff would look nice)

• Options
    Zooey wrote: »
    Anyone use Asajj?

Ventress is ok. She has decent damage but is slow if she's not the leader...Even then she's slow by comparison to fast toons. Her dispell is handy but there are better options. Her main attack can stun too. Her aoe refreshes on a kill shot so that's a plus.
  • Options
    Making one or more toons as meta is a scam.
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    I used RP quite a bit for a while. She was great...then they nerfed her. Now she needs to be in the right team. At least her ship seems decent....
  • Tigzie
    579 posts Member
    Options
    Bistan - seen a lot of people bash old bist but maxed out he's v good for raids
  • Options
    I finally got Plo Koon to 7 stars and gear 9 and he's really ramping up my tank raid damage by keeping my folks alive. The length of his defense buffs makes timing in phases 2 and beyond trivial, and offense down sticks well.

Very pleasantly surprised.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Velocitious
    276 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Scarif Rebel Pathfinder is so underrated, mainly because most of the people prefer StH over most light side tanks in the game. IMO, SRP is better than StH. SRP self-revives (he can even revive infinitely, as long as he has buffs), gives Speed Up to the entire team whenever he is defeated (he could give unlimited Speed Up buffs to the team since he can revive himself and die again), has almost the same health and protection as Shoretrooper (if you don't believe me, check the statistics of characters on defensive here - https://swgoh.gg/characters/stats/), and his AoE special ability can inflict Offense Down for 3 turns. I hope my comment gets noticed so that players will ditch StH and use SRP as their Rebel tank.
  • Options
    Old Daka. Used her for a long time in arena, and I still see her pop up at the top from time to time. She can turn the tide of a battle by herself with multiple stuns and a timely revive. She's still a great option for GW and dark side missions.
  • Options
    People will sleep on Plo Koon until they encounter a teebo lead squad in node 12 of GW.
  • Options

Lmao poor jkg. If only the aoe block was 100% on any hit instead of just a crit would make her go a long way. She just needs some Hella speed secondaries and a tm boost to get dat 97 speed into action haha.

With phasma victory march jkg gets at turk much quicker and guarantees crit, so full AOE ability block. I keep thinking this would be useful in p3 aat. Not palp or tfp good but there might be something there.
  • Options
    6The6Bull6 wrote: »

With phasma victory march jkg gets at turk much quicker and guarantees crit, so full AOE ability block. I keep thinking this would be useful in p3 aat. Not palp or tfp good but there might be something there.

You know, when I was talking about a tm boost, I was thinking about sth. Phasma didn't even occur to me haha. (Guess it's been a while since I dusted her off)...that 50% boost would help alot more than a 30% from sth, plus the guaranteed crit

I think I shall max my phasma now and start playing around with her a bit.
  • Options
    irafreak wrote: »
    Zooey wrote: »
    Anyone use Asajj?

Ventress is ok. She has decent damage but is slow if she's not the leader...Even then she's slow by comparison to fast toons. Her dispell is handy but there are better options. Her main attack can stun too. Her aoe refreshes on a kill shot so that's a plus.

I was using ventress in an empire team palp, RG, shoretrooper, tfp and ventress. With mods she had 263 speed vs an insta taunt team(278 with no buffs), so she would go first remove taunt, then tfp could ability block whoever you want, followed by palp AOE stun, then a quick shock. Crackling doom leaves rebels and Jedi with 0 health all the time and that we fantastic for spamming ventress AOE. With zeta unique it would be very easy to have her use AOE kill 2 toons and gain 100%tm. The biggest issue I had with that team was the empire RNG factor. If you missed one buff immunity, or stuns didn't land I would most likely loose.