How to counter this team?

This guy on my server recently started using this Vader zeta team, and I just can't seem to be able to beat him using my empire team (EP Lead, Vader, TFP, Shore, RG (planning on switching to B2)). My team is all gear 10 except for TFP who is gear 11 and Vader who is gear 9. The enemy team is:
Vader (Zeta L) - 194 speed (27 speed on mine, I don't have a ton of good mods)
EP - 220 speed (9 speed faster than mine)
Boba - 217 speed
Baze - 174 speed
Shore - 128 speed
The above characters are all Gear 11 and 7 stars.
Battles against this team usually go like this: My TFP goes first but is stuck on the auto taunters, then enemy EP does his AoE stun followed by Boba AoE ability block. This almost always leaves my entire team either stunned or ability blocked, so I don't really get a first turn. Vader then does his AoE, and leaves tons of DoTs that never go away thanks to his zeta. On the enemies next turn, my TFP and EP get executed or culling bladed by Boba and Vader, and it is pretty much game over from there.

To counter this team, I am thinking about gearing up my Rex to gear 10 (he is gear 7 now, but I can get him up) and transferring all my best mods from EP to Rex to try and get him faster than the enemy EP and Boba, so I can get Tenacity up, which will block all the debuffs from EP, Boba and Vader, but will be dispelled when their baze takes a turn. I was also considering gearing up my B2 and using his AoE to take Shore and Baze's taunts away quickly, so that my other characters can focus the important toons.

Would this strategy work?
If yes, what would be the best teams with these toons in to run against this team and a wiggs heavy shard? (about every 3 in 4 players in my top 20 use wiggs)
If no, how should I beat this team instead? (also needs to be able to beat wiggs teams)

My roster: https://swgoh.gg/u/kyl0ren/

Replies

• BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    I haven't reach that level but for me, you should develop a fast Rex for his cleanse. You already have it. He should go before your EP and can also go after the opponent's Vader to remove DoTs. I think the Dots are only renewed if not cleaned. Your idea to also use B2 is nice to block the taunters.

So, your Rex can clean your Dots and ability block and you can use EP's special. Maybe something like :
    * EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba
  • Tigzie
    579 posts Member
    Options
    BulYwif wrote: »
    I haven't reach that level but for me, you should develop a fast Rex for his cleanse. You already have it. He should go before your EP and can also go after the opponent's Vader to remove DoTs. I think the Dots are only renewed if not cleaned. Your idea to also use B2 is nice to block the taunters.

So, your Rex can clean your Dots and ability block and you can use EP's special. Maybe something like :
    * EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

Rex cleanse won't get rid of dots the entire point of his Zeta is to make them perm.
  • Options
    Tigzie wrote: »

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

Rex cleanse won't get rid of dots the entire point of his Zeta is to make them perm.

Yeah, but if you put tenacity up on your team before Vader takes a turn, the DoTs will not land in the first place
  • Tigzie
    579 posts Member
    Options
    Ky10Ren wrote: »

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

Yeah, but if you put tenacity up on your team before Vader takes a turn, the DoTs will not land in the first place

Very true, but don't expect to be able to wipe off any dots that you get.

Your idea is good but it depends on the order of attacks to how effective it will be, if you can pop tenacity and keep it on you for as long as possible it will allow you to work for a bit longer with no worries about stun/dot/ability block
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

This is what I was wondering. In the description of his ability, it's written "whenever DOT expire". But it can be understood as expire naturally, but in case of cleanse, it should be different. Does somebody know for sure if it is really permanent ? Also, DOT remains until Darth Vader's death, so he should be shot first.
  • Narkosekröte
    171 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    if you want to use your actual team in the future you need more tenacity or more speed, that means the right mods or you change your strategy and use other toons that will bring abilities with tenacity up, but they have to be fast, which also means mods....in the end gearing end leveling is fine but with the wrong mods you are lost on the highest level
    The sound of a TIE Fighter engine was created by combining an elephant bellow and a car driving on wet pavement.
  • Tigzie
    579 posts Member
    Options

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

This is what I was wondering. In the description of his ability, it's written "whenever DOT expire". But it can be understood as expire naturally, but in case of cleanse, it should be different. Does somebody know for sure if it is really permanent ? Also, DOT remains until Darth Vader's death, so he should be shot first.

I've got him myself it's perm lol :)
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

OK :smile: Thanks for clarification.
  • Options

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

Your idea is good but it depends on the order of attacks to how effective it will be, if you can pop tenacity and keep it on you for as long as possible it will allow you to work for a bit longer with no worries about stun/dot/ability block

According to my math, if I Gear up my Rex to get him to his max base speed of 140 and put EPs mods on him, I will reach a speed of 229 on Rex, which is 9 faster than my opponents EP
  • Tigzie
    579 posts Member
    Options

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

OK :smile: Thanks for clarification.

No worries my friend, def makes empire worthy of arena :)
  • Options
    Ventress for a speedy dispel of his sht before your tfp goes. Her unique got quite a remarkable upgrade
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • GA_Phoenix
    368 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    anonidude wrote: »
    Ventress for a speedy dispel of his sht before your tfp goes. Her unique got quite a remarkable upgrade

Yeah, but you need to mod her very speedy. Rampage only gets her +45 Speed against this special Squad because two enemy toons start the battle with buffs.

+30 Speed from arrow mod primary and even the +28 speed if you put her in the lead maybe not enough to make her faster than an moderate moddet Tie Pilot.
  • Options

Since the enemy has Baze and Shore, she will only gain 45 speed at the start of the match and my TFP has 236 speed, it means she will have to have a speed of 192 to go before my TFP (236 - 45). My EP has a speed gain of 89 speed which means that I will either have to strip all of his mods for ventress, or make my TFP slower (which I can't really afford to do due to the fact I sit on a wiggs heavy shard). And even if I was to do that, I don't even have her unlocked yet. I just don't see much reason to use her over Rex and b2.
  • Options
    GA_Phoenix wrote: »

Yeah, but you need to mod her very speedy. Rampage only gets her +45 Speed against this special Squad because two enemy toons start the battle with buffs.

+30 Speed from arrow mod primary and even the +28 speed if you put her in the lead maybe not enough to make her faster than an moderate moddet Tie Pilot.

Asajj base speed 104+45+28=177
    Thats higher than Tie fighter base speed (170)
  • Options
    No one runs the TFP at base speed ;)
  • Options
    Malthael wrote: »
    GA_Phoenix wrote: »

Asajj base speed 104+45+28=177
    Thats higher than Tie fighter base speed (170)

If I end up using her, she definitely won't be lead due to the fact that the rest of my team will get zero benefit which will result in the tons of wiggs teams on my shard crushing me, so she's got slower base speed than TFP. And then there's the fact 6 of her speed requires her to be gear 10, and mine is gear 0 (haven't got her yet)
  • Options
    When you use Squad Discipline with Rex you will feed up enemy Baze's TM and most probably he will dispell all the tenacity up from your team. Baze gains %5 TM for each buff on enemy team, sorry to ruin your plans :/
  • Options
    You said enemy Baze has 174 speed so he will go right after your Rex
  • Options
    I mean no offense, and understand the general premise that most teams lise on defense, but why would you assume there is way to beat a team that is faster and all a gear level higher with a zeta lead hero no less?

Again, no offense, but get your team to gear 11 too - then you might fare better against gear 11teams.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    When you use Squad Discipline with Rex you will feed up enemy Baze's TM and most probably he will dispell all the tenacity up from your team. Baze gains %5 TM for each buff on enemy team, sorry to ruin your plans :/

Well I had better hit the enemy Baze with ability block from my TFP then, or stun him with EP or something. Thanks for that info, I was completely unaware of that.
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I mean no offense, and understand the general premise that most teams lise on defense, but why would you assume there is way to beat a team that is faster and all a gear level higher with a zeta lead hero no less?

Again, no offense, but get your team to gear 11 too - then you might fare better against gear 11teams.

It won't help much, because the stat increase doesn't give speed and therefore will not prevent my characters from being murdered by culling blade or execute. If I was to use my current team, I would need speed more than gear. That one gear level may make a huge difference in some places, but not if your team is ill equiped to take on what the enemy has, which is the case here. You are basiclly telling someone with gear 10 wiggs who can't beat a chaze team to level wiggs to gear 11 and then they will win. Not gonna happen.
  • Options

Well I had better hit the enemy Baze with ability block from my TFP then, or stun him with EP or something. Thanks for that info, I was completely unaware of that.

It won't help much, because the stat increase doesn't give speed and therefore will not prevent my characters from being murdered by culling blade or execute. If I was to use my current team, I would need speed more than gear. That one gear level may make a huge difference in some places, but not if your team is ill equiped to take on what the enemy has, which is the case here. You are basiclly telling someone with gear 10 wiggs who can't beat a chaze team to level wiggs to gear 11 and then they will win. Not gonna happen.

He does have points about your gear level. Some toons take drastic increases in stats when you make that jump. While Speed is the deciding factor when things are equal or close to being equal. That gear 11 team will be more powerful overall compared to a gear 10 team. Usually on speed and protection/health.
  • Options
    DarthR244D wrote: »

He does have points about your gear level. Some toons take drastic increases in stats when you make that jump. While Speed is the deciding factor when things are equal or close to being equal. That gear 11 team will be more powerful overall compared to a gear 10 team. Usually on speed and protection/health.

Meh I probbaly have that sort of opinion about gear 11 because I haven't had the best experience with it myself. When I upgraded my TFP from gear 10 to 11, the only noticeable change was his max possible damage going from like 24k to 28-29k. Maybe he on average hits a bit harder, and has a bit more health/protection, but it doesn't feel like anything. Perhaps it's better on tanks and characters that actually get a speed benefit at gear 11 then it is on damage dealers.

Admitidly my team would likely have a slightly better chance if they were all gear 11, but I don't really have the resources to do that (problem of being FTP and not being in a good guild that can beat the tank raid super quickly) and the only character in my current team who could potentially get speed from gear upgrades anyway is Vader (I would have to do math to figure that out) who is too slow due to bad mods regardless. Even if I did have the mods, my key characters (EP, TFP) would still be one shot by the enemy Vader and boba anyway, and there would be nothing I could really do about it due to my whole team being stunned/ability blocked before their first turn (except for TFP who is stuck on auto taunters).

I suppose what I'm asking, is that whether there is a way to beat this team despite a gear disadvantage? I would rather not spend a good months worth of crystals getting my entire team to gear 11, only for my arena meta to switch to something that makes those gear 11 empire toons worthless (last time I checked the rosters of my arena shardmates, 2 or 3 of them had a decently geared chiruit for example, so a chaze team could pop up any moment and own my empire team).
    I should probbaly join a better guild so I can get more frequent rewards from the normal tank so I can actually afford to get gear 11...
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    DarthR244D wrote: »

Meh I probbaly have that sort of opinion about gear 11 because I haven't had the best experience with it myself. When I upgraded my TFP from gear 10 to 11, the only noticeable change was his max possible damage going from like 24k to 28-29k. Maybe he on average hits a bit harder, and has a bit more health/protection, but it doesn't feel like anything. Perhaps it's better on tanks and characters that actually get a speed benefit at gear 11 then it is on damage dealers.

Admitidly my team would likely have a slightly better chance if they were all gear 11, but I don't really have the resources to do that (problem of being FTP and not being in a good guild that can beat the tank raid super quickly) and the only character in my current team who could potentially get speed from gear upgrades anyway is Vader (I would have to do math to figure that out) who is too slow due to bad mods regardless. Even if I did have the mods, my key characters (EP, TFP) would still be one shot by the enemy Vader and boba anyway, and there would be nothing I could really do about it due to my whole team being stunned/ability blocked before their first turn (except for TFP who is stuck on auto taunters).

I suppose what I'm asking, is that whether there is a way to beat this team despite a gear disadvantage? I would rather not spend a good months worth of crystals getting my entire team to gear 11, only for my arena meta to switch to something that makes those gear 11 empire toons worthless (last time I checked the rosters of my arena shardmates, 2 or 3 of them had a decently geared chiruit for example, so a chaze team could pop up any moment and own my empire team).
    I should probbaly join a better guild so I can get more frequent rewards from the normal tank so I can actually afford to get gear 11...

My point was that gear is part of it - but as you correctly point out, speed mods are also a factor. Also, the zeta lead ability is also to be considered. I was simply trying to point out that sometimes there is not an easy answer to "how to I beat this team?" when the other team is simply significantly stronger.

Here's a random thought - do you have Tarkin? You could plug him in as your lead - that would speed up all of you Empire team by 28 - making your EP and Vader faster than his.

A second thought - why try to build a team against that team specifically? Just avoid him. If he's bumping you out of first, move into 2nd.

Both of these methods might buy you some time to level and gear your B2 or get a zeta on your own Vader.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    It would fall like a rock on defense, but 47, 86, 88, B2, JE should be able to beat this team pretty easy. It's all the Wiggs and Rex teams that would eat your lunch.

Short of that, you could use the old school trick of speed STH along side your B2. This just happens to be the tank combo for my current raid team. I haven't come across any Vader teams, but it can handle Wiggs/Chaze OK.
  • Options

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

According to my math, if I Gear up my Rex to get him to his max base speed of 140 and put EPs mods on him, I will reach a speed of 229 on Rex, which is 9 faster than my opponents EP

When his tie fighter damages you it will remove tm making his boba faster than your Rex and yet again u will be ability blocked turn 1
  • Options
    Just make your toons faster. It seems the only stat that matters is speed.
  • Options

* EP (L)
    * TFP
    * ShT
    * Rex
    * B2 or Boba

When his tie fighter damages you it will remove tm making his boba faster than your Rex and yet again u will be ability blocked turn 1

The enemy team doesn't have TFP, that's my team. The enemy team has Vader Zeta, EP, Boba, Baze and Shore, and my TFP outspeeds all of them.