SPOILERS Rebels S3 Episodes 10&11 were good and heres why. Resurrected for new eps.

DarthLucaz
328 posts Member
edited January 2017
Major spoilers for the new episodes and plotlines revealed in Catalyst Novel and Darth Vader comic and a bit of Rogue One. Stop here if you do not wish to know.
Rebels has become notorious for mediocre characters and useless episodes. In fact there are only two episodes I consider Great. The season 2 finale Vader v Ahsoka was amazing and the episode with the prototype B-wing. This two part episode joins those as a great episode. It is not without its flaws though. First why it was awesome.

Return to Geonosis. One of the things I trully enjoyed from the Prequels was the Geonosian species. Their gutteral warbles and clicks made them an interesting species and their knack for technology made them one of the most advanced species in Star Wars. Their role in the clone wars and the death star construction has made them key figures in the realm of the galaxy far far away. The first hint that they were completely whiped out came from the Darth Vader comic. Vader claims an old droid making machine and kills the final Geonosian queen on the planet. The same queen we see as an egg in this rebels episode. In the book Catalyst we find the Geonosions were forcably conscripted to build the Death Star for the Empire. Even before the clone wars ended. Poggle flips twice resulting in his death. Before he dies he instructs his soldiers to dismantle the project. Something the future empire finds unacceptable. Now we know what happened. They gassed the entire planet. This fits with the N.azi stylization of the Empire, and serves as a fitting final piece to the geonosian puzzle.

Hera and Sabine shine in this episode. Sabine channels her inner Mandalorian like never before and let me tell you, it's about **** time. The quick scene was as cool as a scene with Boba or Jango in it, and I can finally say she's turning into a great character.

Kanan and Ezra are good in this episode. Ezra's voice isn't quite as annoying as usual and their input doesnt hinder the episode. Zeb also doesn't get in the way and i dislike his character the most.
Tiny Rogue one spoilers below.
Saw Gerrara was cool. A bit overkill at times but in tune with his portrail in Rogue One. It reinforces him as more of a terrorist than a rebel, an aspect of the rebellion I think has been needed. Not everyone is a Luke, Han or Leia. Cassian and Saw are neccessary to see the truth. Without the jedi bad stuff had to be done in the name of good.

The bad. As with every good Rebels episode something is ALWAYS wrong. Here it is mostly miniscule. The guttaral warbles and clicks that Poggle used in the prequels and other geonosians did in the Clone Wars are replaced with hums and musical clicks. Instead of sounding more elegant the geonosian language loses its artistry. And Ezra names the geonosian clickKlack. Thats A. A bit offensive and B. Dumb. But that was it.
Post edited by DarthLucaz on

Replies

• Options
    I really don't like the show at all tbh, aside from the cameos lile Ashoka, Maul, wedge, etc. I despise mostly every protagonist.
    - Kanan is a tad boring imo, nothing about him is interesting to me.
    - zeb never has anything different going on, just the normal wise-cracking sidekick
    - Hera is the cliche "good guy" motherly type character. Boring nuff said.
    - ezra could be a cool character, he has alot going on for him, but it seems he always reverts back to season 1 Ezra after any development.
    - Sabine is the only one I actually like tbh.

But I have to completely agree with you. These 2 episodes made me remember why I even try to keep up with the show. Other than following mauls storyline.
  • Options
    Yes the geonosis episodes were pretty great imo. I thought that the geonosen was referencing the death star with the whole "circle inside a circle" thing. Was he actually, or was it just a reference to the poison gas used to kill his species? Also, I thought that Sabine's jet pack was broken at the end of the episode where they go back to mandalor, but I'm happy to see that it wasn't.
    F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • Options
    Cesium wrote: »
    Yes the geonosis episodes were pretty great imo. I thought that the geonosen was referencing the death star with the whole "circle inside a circle" thing. Was he actually, or was it just a reference to the poison gas used to kill his species? Also, I thought that Sabine's jet pack was broken at the end of the episode where they go back to mandalor, but I'm happy to see that it wasn't.

Definitely the Death Star. This is where the kindheartedness of the Rebellion fails them. They assume he simply meant the gas. Even Saw who isn't satisfied with the answer rolls over in the end. Saving a species is an honorable thing but in this case, the egg couldve lasted a few cycles in rebellion hands. As for her jetpack I thought the exact same thing. She's tech savvy so I just assumed she fixed it. I cant wait til she pulls out the darksaber. The second half of this season may be suprisingly good. Sabine and Maul's storylines are shapping up well.
  • Options
    Honestly I don't really think she deserves the darksaber. It has been wielded by so many important people that it almost seems disrespectful to its legacy for her to use it. I do have hope for the remainder of the season though, and I now think it was well worth getting through the first season
    it was horrible :wink:
    F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • Options
    Resurrecting this thread because this past episode...soooooo good.
  • Options
    Omg yes it was. I loved it. The Darksaber was made by the first Mandalorian Jedi...awesome. Its confirmed there is a kyber crystal at its center...awesome. Sabine was really good in this episode and Ezra, wow, he was for the first time not a hindrance to the episode. Now I just need to know why the crystal is black. Rebels is finally coming together. Oh and Sabine kicking Bendu? Priceless moment and hilarious.
  • Options
    YES! And on top of it, we get a little tie-in to the ACTUAL Mandaloran wars and KOTOR.
    Kanan showing different struggles in training Sabine than he has with Ezra was probably one of the biggest character beats he's had in the entire series.
  • Options
    honestly one of the small details that stood out to me was when sabine burned herself using the darksaber. It would be impossible for a non-force user to not hurt themselves with a lightsaber when using it for the first time imo. I'm glad they included that, it made sabine's training more realistic.

I have changed my mind about sabine not being worthy to wield the darksaber. The way they portrayed her history and her internal struggle with wielding the darksaber and the responsibilities that came with it changed my mind. The fact that she understood the significance of it and was hesitant to use it made it obvious that she was actually worthy of using it to (hopefully) unite her people.
  • Options
    I really don't like the show at all tbh, aside from the cameos lile Ashoka, Maul, wedge, etc. I despise mostly every protagonist.
    - Kanan is a tad boring imo, nothing about him is interesting to me.
    - zeb never has anything different going on, just the normal wise-cracking sidekick
    - Hera is the cliche "good guy" motherly type character. Boring nuff said.
    - ezra could be a cool character, he has alot going on for him, but it seems he always reverts back to season 1 Ezra after any development.
    - Sabine is the only one I actually like tbh.

But I have to completely agree with you. These 2 episodes made me remember why I even try to keep up with the show. Other than following mauls storyline.

^^^