New to game with a few rambling questions

First off let me say how glad I am I ran across this game. It is FAR more than I expected. I am enjoying it a lot.

Second, what a great forum. I have played a few other mmo/rpg/whatever type game this is and the posted here are the most polite and pleasant I have encountered.

I am a new player (couple weeks) and am basically f2p. I believe in supporting the game so I do buy items, especially the special offers.
I doubt I will ever be a true endgamer but I have a few questions that maybe you can answer.

1. Is it even possible to be competitive in pvp as f2p?
2. Is it best to save crystals for chromium cards or refreshing battles?
3. What is the deal with Poe? I drew him when I started the game and I have seen no use for him. He dies so fast and damage is really low. I don't have any other characters that people are saying go well with him and he's only 4*. Does it make that big a difference?
4. Synergies. Very cool idea. Very complicated. Not really a question. More of an observation.
5. I am mostly trying for characters I like just to play around with them. I am dying for Vader. Is it possible to put together a decent pvp squad (for rewards) but still collect random characters I like? (Poggle? Hear he's good but boring character.)

Well anyway. If you read and/or reply thanks for your time.

Replies

• Options
    1. Yes it is. There are plenty of good F2P farmable characters, and I would suggest you try as hard as you can to be in the top 100 on Arena as soon as you can- Daily Crystal and Arena Tokens are an excellent way to make a good Arena team.

2. YMMV. I would recommend you spend Crystal on the 50 refreshes, and the 100 refresh on Cantina when you get there. Save the rest, and when you hit max level, make the decision as to whether you need/want to farm specific shards, or if you want to buy some Chromium packs. I would highly suggest patience if you want packs, and save to get the 8X.

If you are ok with spending small amounts, I would buy the cheap $5 starter packs, and get the 21-day crystal subscriptions. With a small amount of crystal income (and money spent), you will be able to do much more with the game.

3. Poe is an excellent character, and is standard for the current metagame (game beyond the game). At 5* is where he really begins to shine, and he is farmable. At lower levels he is rather weak; but keep working on him, it's worth it.

4.Yup

5.Again, it's up to how you want to play. Saving for Chromium packs gives you a random chance of getting otherwise unobtainable characters, and if you spend crystal wisely as you level you can have some stashed for when you hit max level. I would suggest going with the Force on that one. Are the characters you want in GW/Arena/Cantina? Then farm there. If not, you will need to spend on chromium packs eventually- but as I said, leveling ought to be a priority.

Also, google SWGOH Cantina. Lots of good info there for planning!
  • Mizake_Mizan
    209 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Grendel007 wrote: »

Depends on what you mean by competitive. When you first start playing it's easy to jump out ahead in ranking in Arena if you know what to do. However, as time goes on and your "server" matures, then the more dedicated people, whether it be through time or spending, will usually end up pulling ahead.

I've been playing this game for a month, currently level 58, and with just the 5 refreshes in Arena I always maintain a ranking between 20-100. I have a decent roster, but I play arena very casually because of the time/money commitment to get to top 10. There is very little difference between the rewards for say 20-50, 50-100, and 100-200, so it doesn't make sense to kill yourself over a few ranking spots.

I have heard horror stories of people with like 12,000+ power level teams who have a hard time maintaining rank 500 because they are on older servers. That's an idea of how all the servers (battlegroups, whatever you want to call them) will be over time.

From a pure min/max standpoint, you should save your crystals for refreshes. That way you can get shards from characters that you really need. Chromium packs tend to be too random.

That being said.....I think you should open at least one pack, preferably an x8, just for the fun of it. There is a certain degree of excitement about the unknown!

I did it once, I got Lumi from it really early on....even before I could farm her from GW. I also got two other toons and a bunch of shards. Was it worth it? Probably not, but it was exciting!
    3. What is the deal with Poe? I drew him when I started the game and I have seen no use for him. He dies so fast and damage is really low. I don't have any other characters that people are saying go well with him and he's only 4*. Does it make that big a difference?

Poe is a great example of how much difference gear and star levels can make for a toon. He's worthless early on because when he taunts all that does is get himself killed. However, once he gains levels, he gets a lot more hit points and becomes much sturdier. He also gains tenacity which helps him avoid negative effects and heals. And once he's geared all the way up he becomes the quickest toon in the game and hence all the rabble about him being "overpowered" and needing a nerf.
    5. I am mostly trying for characters I like just to play around with them. I am dying for Vader. Is it possible to put together a decent pvp squad (for rewards) but still collect random characters I like? (Poggle? Hear he's good but boring character.)

Vader is a trophy character. Even if you unlock him he will be stuck at 4* or 5* for a very long time, and will not be of much use for you, especially as a F2P player.

There are many great threads on this forum about how to build decent PvP squads and remaining F2P. I recommend checking out the guide section.

• Options

Depends on what you mean by competitive. When you first start playing it's easy to jump out ahead in ranking in Arena if you know what to do. However, as time goes on and your "server" matures, then the more dedicated people, whether it be through time or spending, will usually end up pulling ahead.

I've been playing this game for a month, currently level 58, and with just the 5 refreshes in Arena I always maintain a ranking between 20-100. I have a decent roster, but I play arena very casually because of the time/money commitment to get to top 10. There is very little difference between the rewards for say 20-50, 50-100, and 100-200, so it doesn't make sense to kill yourself over a few ranking spots.

I have heard horror stories of people with like 12,000+ power level teams who have a hard time maintaining rank 500 because they are on older servers. That's an idea of how all the servers (battlegroups, whatever you want to call them) will be over time.

From a pure min/max standpoint, you should save your crystals for refreshes. That way you can get shards from characters that you really need. Chromium packs tend to be too random.

That being said.....I think you should open at least one pack, preferably an x8, just for the fun of it. There is a certain degree of excitement about the unknown!

I did it once, I got Lumi from it really early on....even before I could farm her from GW. I also got two other toons and a bunch of shards. Was it worth it? Probably not, but it was exciting!

Poe is a great example of how much difference gear and star levels can make for a toon. He's worthless early on because when he taunts all that does is get himself killed. However, once he gains levels, he gets a lot more hit points and becomes much sturdier. He also gains tenacity which helps him avoid negative effects and heals. And once he's geared all the way up he becomes the quickest toon in the game and hence all the rabble about him being "overpowered" and needing a nerf.

Vader is a trophy character. Even if you unlock him he will be stuck at 4* or 5* for a very long time, and will not be of much use for you, especially as a F2P player.

There are many great threads on this forum about how to build decent PvP squads and remaining F2P. I recommend checking out the guide section.

Thanks! Very helpful. That's kind of what I thought w pvp. I just want to get decent rewards from it. Some teams I do well against but others destroy me before I know it.
  • Options
    Aluxendr wrote: »
    1. Yes it is. There are plenty of good F2P farmable characters, and I would suggest you try as hard as you can to be in the top 100 on Arena as soon as you can- Daily Crystal and Arena Tokens are an excellent way to make a good Arena team.

2. YMMV. I would recommend you spend Crystal on the 50 refreshes, and the 100 refresh on Cantina when you get there. Save the rest, and when you hit max level, make the decision as to whether you need/want to farm specific shards, or if you want to buy some Chromium packs. I would highly suggest patience if you want packs, and save to get the 8X.

If you are ok with spending small amounts, I would buy the cheap $5 starter packs, and get the 21-day crystal subscriptions. With a small amount of crystal income (and money spent), you will be able to do much more with the game.

3. Poe is an excellent character, and is standard for the current metagame (game beyond the game). At 5* is where he really begins to shine, and he is farmable. At lower levels he is rather weak; but keep working on him, it's worth it.

4.Yup

5.Again, it's up to how you want to play. Saving for Chromium packs gives you a random chance of getting otherwise unobtainable characters, and if you spend crystal wisely as you level you can have some stashed for when you hit max level. I would suggest going with the Force on that one. Are the characters you want in GW/Arena/Cantina? Then farm there. If not, you will need to spend on chromium packs eventually- but as I said, leveling ought to be a priority.

Also, google SWGOH Cantina. Lots of good info there for planning!

thanks! I have purchased a 3x chromium pack. I have extraordinarily bad luck at things like that. And I have seen the Cantina site. It is good