Why is Wiggs "old meta"?

Everyone keeps referring to Wiggs as the "old meta" as if they're Rey or Poe. I'm playing on a shard from a few weeks after release, so it's basically as old as they get. There are three TI members, so it's not a weak shard or a shard that doesn't adapt. 9 of the top 10 run Wiggs, the one exception being a Zaul team, and without counting I'd estimate 40-45 of the top 50 teams run Wiggs. I get that Chaze is more OP than Wiggs, but there's no reason to shut down any "nerf Wiggs" comment just because Wiggs is "old meta" when 90% of top Arena teams still run Wiggs and the only way to beat g10 omega-Wiggs is to use g11 Zeta characters.

Replies

• Options
    According to swgoh.gg the meta wiggs report is more like 45-46% with the zetas and way better teams out there they will go the way of Rey, old Ben and poe eventually. "He who is resistant to change is destined to perish " - hot rod
  • Options
    DashRendar wrote: »
    According to swgoh.gg the meta wiggs report is more like 45-46% with the zetas and way better teams out there they will go the way of Rey, old Ben and poe eventually. "He who is resistant to change is destined to perish " - hot rod

That hasn't happened at all on my shard. Zetas allow other teams to compete, yes, but they don't eradicate Wiggs. A Zaul or Zader team can beat a Wiggs team, but a Wiggs team can also easily beat a Zaul or Zader team, so nobody has any incentive to move on to one of those Zeta teams when they already have Wiggs.
  • Options
    DashRendar wrote: »

That still is 1/2, which means extremely viable
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Glad I am with a bunch of stubborn peeps like myself that try to be a little different.

I still throw wiggs in from time to time to blast through some teams.
  • Olddumper
    3000 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    With teams like Kanobi zBarris, zQGJ rogue 1 rebels and empires teams they are now second class.

The only reason so many people are stuck on them is because it is difficult to replace 2 toons at once.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Glad I am with a bunch of stubborn peeps like myself that try to be a little different.

I still throw wiggs in from time to time to blast through some teams.

Agreed
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I see this a lot and even people telling new comers not to worry about faming them they are old....

They are a solid dps duo. They fit into many teams, they are just not center stage.
  • Options
    @Wildcats1203 Out of curiosity, who are the 3 TI on your shard? I'm in an early shard as well, and have noticed our Arena is... a little weird. Like the shard that the meta forgot, or something. Wondering if we're in the same shard :-)

ìN Darth JarJar

iN DarthJarJar | Team Instinct Δ
  • Options
    I really don't think Wiggs have even started to become obsolete, it is some of the other older rebels that have been overshadowed by Chaze. There are a lot of people who WANT Wiggs to become obsolete, as they have been overpoweringly meta for a long time, but that is different than them actually being obsolete. A well modded Wiggs/Chaze team is still at least the equal of anything else out there.
  • Rotor
    473 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you look at the mayority of the player base they don't have chase... by the end of the night the bulk of my shard looks like this...
    1-10 zetas, chaze, GK
    10-20 empire
    20-50 Wiggs, Lando

There are a few Rex, and Boba leads in between, also some godly teams with speed. But taking a look at the bulk of the player base is very hard for a Wiggs team to reach higher than 20 unless they have some really good mods or a fast Boba.
  • Wildcats1203
    781 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RebelBass wrote: »
    @Wildcats1203 Out of curiosity, who are the 3 TI on your shard? I'm in an early shard as well, and have noticed our Arena is... a little weird. Like the shard that the meta forgot, or something. Wondering if we're in the same shard :-)

ìN Darth JarJar

Bennett, A Diamond in the Rough, and MrRush @RebelBass
    From what I hear, Bennett is a top player even in TI, so I'm assuming that he typically stays on the cutting edge and he's currently running Wedge (L), Biggs, Chaze, 7*GK.
  • Options
    People call it the old meta because it is no longer the only thing that works at high levels. I switched from my wiggs team which was getting me top 20 in a December shard to and empire team ( palp, tie, shore, B2, st Han) and now I place top 5-3.
  • Options
    They ARE like Rey or Dooku or Poe.
    Not everyone accepts it yet .
    The better options are there, so it's only just a matter of time...
  • Options
    @Wildcats1203 we are in the same shard, my ign is "SW", what's yours?
    And ya Wiggs is definitely not the old meta lol
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    because people feel superior once they've managed to move past the basic wiggs teams, referring to them as the "old meta" is basically just tooting their own horn.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There are a lot of anti-critical based teams now, and the auto-taunting tanks take their triple assist well?
  • Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    There are a lot of anti-critical based teams now, and the auto-taunting tanks take their triple assist well?

This.
    They're on borrowed time, barring one of them getting a zeta.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Probably because people with superiority complex are vocal.

By the way, my Dooku and Dakka are old literally and figuratively but they still kick the doo dookukkakka out of Jedis.
  • Options
    I think Wiggs will always have a place in the meta as it's an easy set up for lower level, FTP & casual players. Wiggs gives a huge advantage in this middle ground where a lot of players find themselves.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but IMHO in terms of ease of grind vs power I don't think there's better than Wiggs - Biggs from GW and also drops frequently in bronzium, Wedge cantina grind and you get an incredibly useful duo that you can use mid-game with pretty much any 3 other toons
  • PEZ
    64 posts Member
    Options

ìN Darth JarJar

From what I hear, Bennett is a top player even in TI, so I'm assuming that he typically stays on the cutting edge and he's currently running Wedge (L), Biggs, Chaze, 7*GK.

Bennet is definitely one of our top players. He has some of the best mods on Wiggs you will find, so he has stuck with them in his Arena line-up. It's still a great offensive team. If you don't mind losing a few Arena spots and battling back near payout, no reason to abandon Wiggs. Bennet, like most of us, is saving resources as we wait for the inevitable changes DarkFeb is going to bring.
  • Options

ìN Darth JarJar

Yeah, not my shard, and all three of those guys are awesome players :-)

iN DarthJarJar | Team Instinct Δ
  • Holio
    99 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's 'old' meta because so many people can counter it now. For months there weren't many answers for the combo.. EP, DV, TFP is pretty much the wiggs killer and loads of people have strong EP and DV since the Dec event.. It certainly doesn't mean they're not useful, or you can't win with them.. It just means there aren't a dozen of the same or similar teams beating up on each other for the top spots.. Rey and Dooku still hang around too, but they are very old meta.

Wiggs teams are being squeezed out of my arena top 50, the ones hanging around are running w empire teams or with baze..

New top 10 meta - in my shard - is zDV lead..
  • Goldy
    254 posts Member
    Options
    Wiggs are still META, they just have more counters now, but they also have more toons who can be added to their team to make them better.

Diversity, what's not to like :smiley:
  • Options
    I'm on bennetts shard too game name darenn67 still lots of wiggs teams about in there
    Lost in the 20th century
  • Options
    Adapt or die.

I'm not at your level but I've had to adapt a couple of times now. At first it was when Wiggs wiped out my Jedi team. Now it's my Wiggs team stalling against Chaze with another tank/taunter. Farmed up B2 to beat the top player in my shard who was using Chaze, SF. Now farming TFP and Shore to have a strong empire team.
  • Options
    Hello there shardmates!

I'd subscribe goldman's words. Wiggs is awesome and fun to play. Excited what february brings!

Guess i'd try some other teams if RNGesus would let me farm some zetas :neutral:

Cheers
    Diamond