Freemium?

what the heck is this? You can spend more money on this game than an Xbox one, Xbox live subscription, and a bunch of games... and still not even have all of the content unlocked. In who's universe is a stupid app you have to play on a tiny phone screen supposed to cost more than an entire console and games? $100 for a rogue one pack with 3 and 4 star characters? Give me a break. I can't even play the game all day, only until I run out of energy. If this is the way the game industry works, shouldn't a game like madden or skyrim that I can literally play all day long for months, have a retail price of oh I don't know, maybe like $10,000. DLC content on most games cost anywhere between like $3-$20. I know you don't have to pay anything at all to play and they have to pay for it somehow, but it's completely out of control. I think this is so ridiculous it's not even funny, somebody at EA has a twisted view of the world. I just hope an episode viii pack at least comes with a bottle of lube to ease the pain. Rant over.

Replies

• Options
    "I just hope an episode viii pack at least comes with a bottle of lube to ease the pain."

Probably the funniest thing I've seen on the forums.

However, like you said you don't have to pay. Enough people do that EA makes money off the game, so in my opinion the prices are fine. If people have an issue then don't pay it. This game is based off of supply and demand, just like the rest of the economy of the world.
  • Options
    2014%2F11%2F06%2F1e%2Ffreemiumnot.af1ae.jpg
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    All content is available if you have the patience. When you pay extra for console games, you're buying extra content that wouldnt otherwise be available.
  • Options
    Hey i agree with the poster here. Its hard for me to see so many people paying like they do for a phone game. I see so many people on here taking up for how much they spend and thats fine because thats thier business but all im saying is why not stand up and say no more.
    Im not a whale but i have spent maybe $1000 or more here and i feel stupid for doing it also. If all of us stand together not just on this game but other games on our phone and just refuse to pay this type of pricing then maybe we will see a change. Sadly though not a lot of people will and will more then likly blast me and others like me. These companies will always do stuff like this as long as they are people who will open thier wallets and be happy to get messed over. As for me i spend now $12 a month on the 21 day Crystals and thats it. Im done spending big on this game. To all others go ahead and spend away and waste all that hard earned money.
  • Options
    I'm not saying everything should be free, or we wouldn't have such a great game. It has to be paid for somehow, and I don't know what constitutes a whale, and I don't keep track of what I've spent, $10 here $20 there, but I know this game has cost me a lot more than my Xbox cost, and for what I've gotten in return is absurd. I don't think it's right. I don't mind spending some money but $100 should get you 7* toons not 3 or 4. You still have to grind gear and spend credits on those toons.
  • Options
    Things are worth only what the market will pay for them. Apparently there are enough people who will pay $100 for a pack of Rogue One characters to make it worth EA's while to let a bunch more people play for free.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    hey i'm super happy there're people in the world who's willing to drop more than the price of a console game ($60), more than the price of a console ($300 to $400), more than the median weekly pay of a united states adult ($1000), and possibly more than the cost of an average vacation (a few Gs).

'cause for every one of those people who wants to directly translate $ into advantage rather than experience an alternative reality on an even playing field (which is how i look at video games in general), hundreds, if not thousands of f2p players are supported.

I do not need to win that badly. i haven't spend a cent. it's pretty easy. just adjust my own expectations that I won't be top 20 consistently. What's the big deal? i like star wars, i like collecting these little animated action figures. whether i do so this week or the next is inconsequential.

sometimes i do wonder if the whales are just super well off people for whom a few Gs is of no concern. OR that they really value a mobile game that much more over a vacation or a michelin starred restaurant outing or a more secure future. not my place to judge though. at least in the US, it is our god given right to blow dough on dumb stuff. yeah freedom! bald eagles! justice! guns and ammo! we're #1! I just love that someone else is paying for me to have this game.

thank you whales, keep spending! the more you spend, the more i save
  • Options
    Welcome to the new gaming world! The world where ethically questionable gaming companies have figured out that a small segment of the population is willing to spend large amounts of money to alleviate frustration and provide a gambling "fix". Of course the small portion of the population spending the money (sadly myself included) actually knows they are being bilked, they just can't help themselves and hopefully have enough money that it doesn't really matter to them.

Anyway, this is where the money is at, so gaming is dead. RIP good games. RIP level playing fields. RIP skill.

Don't expect it to change. Every bright eyed prospective developer wanting to create a killer game will have their spirits crushed and their morals compromised by the sinister back room fat cat simply known as ......"the economy guy".
  • Options
    In my opinion there is only one reason to play freemium games. That reason is to try and beat the whales while spending little or no money. I don't mind spending a little if I am enjoying myself, but forking over the big bucks is to me just an admission of lack of skill.

And if no amount of skill and dedication is enough to have a chance, then just quit and find a more balanced game, there are always more. Usually the first few weeks of any new game is most interesting anyways.

And if you are a die hard Star Wars fan and absolutely have to collect everything, well there are Lego minifigures available for about five bucks each. I believe they have Director Krennic and Deathtrooper already available too.
  • Options
    M_L wrote: »
    sometimes i do wonder if the whales are just super well off people for whom a few Gs is of no concern. OR that they really value a mobile game that much more over a vacation or a michelin starred restaurant outing or a more secure future. not my place to judge though. at least in the US, it is our god given right to blow dough on dumb stuff. yeah freedom! bald eagles! justice! guns and ammo! we're #1! I just love that someone else is paying for me to have this game.

Doesn't mean someone is well off or has more money than the know what to do with. I'll buy a $20 crystal pack here and there, usually when I'm close to leveling someone's gear or stars. I've bought a $50 pack before, and the $60 Jedi pack when I started. It's probably a huge waste of money, I know that. But to put it in perspective, some people go to the movies, or out to eat all the time. Some people run up a $100 bar tab on a Friday night, or go and get a bag of weed. I've never spent $1000 at a time trying to farm Jyn Erso shards either, but over the coarse of six months I've spent a decent amount of money.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is only one reason to play freemium games. That reason is to try and beat the whales while spending little or no money. I don't mind spending a little if I am enjoying myself, but forking over the big bucks is to me just an admission of lack of skill.

And if no amount of skill and dedication is enough to have a chance, then just quit and find a more balanced game, there are always more. Usually the first few weeks of any new game is most interesting anyways.

And if you are a die hard Star Wars fan and absolutely have to collect everything, well there are Lego minifigures available for about five bucks each. I believe they have Director Krennic and Deathtrooper already available too.

There isn't much skill required in this game, f2p or p2p
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    Options
    @Maljr1980

totally get it. i guess it's just hard for me imagine going to see JUST star wars movies every week or month. in my mind I guess my limit for any one game is the same set as when i was a kid, $60. if it's over that amount, it no longer feels like just a game. 'cause if it's more than that I'd like to feel real value, instead of a 3* character i can't even use in half the modes in the game right off the bat.

i don't think it's a huge waste of money. my weekly bar tab is at least $100. so we all make choices about what to "waste" money on. while some of my reply was a bit sarcastic. I do sincerely appreciate anyone who spends. my point about you guys essentially carrying the f2p crowd is real. without some people spending some $, i wouldnt have this game at all.

Ienjoy this game for what it is, a fine distraction in the nooks and crannies of life. Sure it's not exactly fair when f2p and p2p are in the same shards, but hey, neither is life! it really feels closer to gambling than anything else, with the drop rate and the praying to RNGesus.
  • Options
    @Maljr1980

totally get it. i guess it's just hard for me imagine going to see JUST star wars movies every week or month. in my mind I guess my limit for any one game is the same set as when i was a kid, $60. if it's over that amount, it no longer feels like just a game. 'cause if it's more than that I'd like to feel real value, instead of a 3* character i can't even use in half the modes in the game right off the bat.

i don't think it's a huge waste of money. my weekly bar tab is at least $100. so we all make choices about what to "waste" money on. while some of my reply was a bit sarcastic. I do sincerely appreciate anyone who spends. my point about you guys essentially carrying the f2p crowd is real. without some people spending some $, i wouldnt have this game at all.

Ienjoy this game for what it is, a fine distraction in the nooks and crannies of life. Sure it's not exactly fair when f2p and p2p are in the same shards, but hey, neither is life! it really feels closer to gambling than anything else, with the drop rate and the praying to RNGesus.

And I don't care that I spend money here and there on something that I find fun. And I really don't care where I rank in arena. There could be only one shard and I could be in the top 50k-100k and I wouldn't care and would probably still buy crystals so I can get the characters I want. Then I can use them in all of the game modes. I still have LS and DS and cantina nodes to unlock. I just think it's total bull$hit this game has cost more than my Xbox did
  • Options
    It's a point of these games nowadays - a never ending game.
    It happend way back than when WoW first appeared, except you couldnt spent any money on ingame stuff but alot of people got addicted to it, the drive for more its just like a drug
  • Options
    MBL_66 wrote: »

Depends how you define skill. Doing the research and math, learning all the little tricks that add up, and putting in the time to take advantage of every bit the devs allow us has allowed me to reliably take second place on my arena server every day. I'm pretty sure at least 99% of active players either can't rank that high or have had to spend a lot more than the single dark side starter pack I bought, so I must be doing something. You could debate as to whether that something should be called skill, but I see no reason not to, it certainly isn't all luck.
  • Options
    Thats just gaming now. I have spent about the amount of a full game and dlc so 100 bucks for a year of entertainment. Actually over a year, i spent that much on fallout 4, gave me around the same amount of time of enjoyment. Now people that can spend thousands, more power to you, i dont wish i could be but i wouldnt complain if i had that kind of money.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    MBL_66 wrote: »

Depends how you define skill. Doing the research and math, learning all the little tricks that add up, and putting in the time to take advantage of every bit the devs allow us has allowed me to reliably take second place on my arena server every day. I'm pretty sure at least 99% of active players either can't rank that high or have had to spend a lot more than the single dark side starter pack I bought, so I must be doing something. You could debate as to whether that something should be called skill, but I see no reason not to, it certainly isn't all luck.

I would define that as strategy
  • Options
    Related question: Why does Pappy Van Winkle cost so dang much? I can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of really good whiskey for $75, but a 0.75 liter bottle of Pappy is like $2,300, and you have to get on a waitlist to do so.

To be fair, I'm F2P and have never tried Pappy.
  • Options
    DarthCPA wrote: »
    Related question: Why does Pappy Van Winkle cost so dang much? I can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of really good whiskey for $75, but a 0.75 liter bottle of Pappy is like $2,300, and you have to get on a waitlist to do so.

I hope it comes with a lady of the night for that price
  • Options
    Games have always been socially stratified. The kid who had the money for rea sport equipment. THAT kid who had the most quarters to get in most time in the arcade. Who was able to adopt early console verse the kid who came over to play at his house.

Once Xbox-PS came around - consoles became a much larger staple. Arguably Halo - has always been the most even fielded game and it STILL came down to whoever had the most time to practice or the biggest television to see movement far away and snipe.

The method is new but them's as always been the breaks.

And if you don't like the pay-for-life game stick to consoles. You know, after those games you like come out, and they make a few DLC's, they fire anyone who's not staying on board to make the next game. Those 10 minutes of after game credits? ~90% of them that arent' directors or office folk are all freelance or temp at best. CG has people working all the time -- that's ongoing salary.

Personally, I've brought a few $10 crystal packs, you know... when there is an EP even and I see the last gear I need to for Lando and I need 1400 crystals... and I see it has my way of throwing some support at a game I like. I'm certainly not paying anyone's salary, I'm also not #1 in anything on this game, and that's fine.

Nothing is new under the sun -- and the complaints on $$ spend by people in games like this is old. Accept what you willing to spend and let the rest go. There's not going to be an SW: GoH disk you can pull out in 10 years, dust off, and play, so it's all going to end one way or another.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living
    Hirst-Shark.jpg
    $12.000.000
    people are crazy
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    @ PremierVenoth, while some people may have spent quite a bit on console games or arcade games the freemium model is not the same. All those games were about buying something, the freemium model this game follows is all about gambling. It is no accident that buying data cards involves a spinning wheel with what looks like lots of possible options even for cards that have a fixed outcome. Games like this are explicitly designed to take advantage of people with compulsive gambling problems although they do make a little bit of money from more disciplined spenders too.
  • Options
    @ PremierVenoth, while some people may have spent quite a bit on console games or arcade games the freemium model is not the same. All those games were about buying something, the freemium model this game follows is all about gambling. It is no accident that buying data cards involves a spinning wheel with what looks like lots of possible options even for cards that have a fixed outcome. Games like this are explicitly designed to take advantage of people with compulsive gambling problems although they do make a little bit of money from more disciplined spenders too.

Should be regulated by a gaming commission and 21+ then. Class action anyone?
  • Options

The distillery that makes Pappy ages it for anywhere between 15 and 23 years and the barrels are located at the bottom of the storage warehouse. When barrels are at the bottom of the warehouse, the temperature does not change from hot to cold as much as when they are at the top of the warehouse, so the alcohol seeps in and out of the wood slower and absorbs more flavors from the natural sugars in the wood. That is a long investment (not counting the angel's share), hence why it is more expensive. In addition, some of the employees were stealing barrels of it when they realized it got expensive (to privately sell for personal profit), driving the demand up and supply down causing the distillery to sell it for more money. Almost the same with this game, new characters that are OP cause people to spend money for what they desire, like people who are convinced Pappy is worth so much money. It gives them some enjoyment of some kind (or they just have too much bloody money!).

Luckily these employees were caught and hopefully the price will go down again. I had the pleasure of visiting the distillery where Pappy is made. Didn't get to taste any, but was interesting to see. Attached a pic of the barrels in the warehouse where Pappy is located during my tour.

b6enmq.jpg

Was kinda disappointed when I found out that the mash used for Pappy was the same as their other bourbons produced at the distillery, just different location and time spent in the barrel. You are better off getting a bottle of Eagle Rare or Blantons as it is the same mash used in Pappy, just less time in the barrel/location of the barrel in the warehouse. Or honestly, get some Maker's Mark (or Makers 46). I went to that distillery as well and liked it a lot better. But to be fair, I like almost all whiskeys and bourbons :smile: .

Sorry for being off topic here, but could not resist responding.
  • Options

I don't disagree. The entire insurance industry is based on a gamble and look how much money they make. I also wouldn't disagree that games like this should have probably have a 'Gamblers Addiction Hotline' boiler plate attached to it. Call 1-800-addiction.

Most people go into a Vegas casino with, say, $100 and they'll have some fun and know they'll probably lose it (I read one artcile that said Casino's only try and take 40% of your money with a bunch of wins and losses to, ultimately, get you to come back).

If you have a problem you might go in with $100 - but end up taking out and spending another $1000. But you gotta know you have a problem, and if you do, you can't go into a Casino. You can't download a game like this.

It's a hot topic, though. The state governments have been pushing through Fantasy Football and reforming online betting. The fact you can't get back cash from this game probably means it, and it's like, will lie low for a long time until they get caught up in a general movement of online gaming reform.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    My wife would literally divorce me if I spent more than the 10.99 for the monthly sub every few months or so. I feel the same way, as someone who has been playing video games since the old Atari days. Nintendo, Sega, PS, xbox, steam. The price some people pay is outrageous. 150-200$ real dollars to unlock a 7* toon that will be obsolete in a few months. Think about how much money someone spent on sunfac and rex back in the days only to have them sit on your bench as you have chaze. I will play for the value of the game comparable to other AAA games on the market.
  • Options
    hey i'm super happy there're people in the world who's willing to drop more than the price of a console game ($60), more than the price of a console ($300 to $400), more than the median weekly pay of a united states adult ($1000), and possibly more than the cost of an average vacation (a few Gs).

'cause for every one of those people who wants to directly translate $ into advantage rather than experience an alternative reality on an even playing field (which is how i look at video games in general), hundreds, if not thousands of f2p players are supported.

I do not need to win that badly. i haven't spend a cent. it's pretty easy. just adjust my own expectations that I won't be top 20 consistently. What's the big deal? i like star wars, i like collecting these little animated action figures. whether i do so this week or the next is inconsequential.

Lols, yes! +1
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options

That's only the price on the secondary market. If you can get it from a liquor store at release, then a 23 yr will cost between $4-500. Of course I live close to where they make it, so I may be getting "local" prices. But even living close by doesn't make it easy to get. You either have to stalk the delivery trucks or be best friends with the store owner.
  • Options
    Safe to say when mass effect andromeda comes out this game is losing me as a kraken :) plus the price increase put me off purchasing anymore than I already have anyway

*shrugs* spend if you want or don't, your choice compadre