No Light or Dark Side, only the Force? (Possible Spoilers)

SikrouDeco
338 posts Member
edited January 2017
Note: I have wavered on this being a stand alone thread or added into an existing thread. I finally think it needs it's own thread. As much as possible, please stay on topic and avoid any religious parallels. They never end well.

That said..

In every mythos, the battle of good and evil is distilled into factions and coresponding ideologies. In any land with magic, the discussion rises that there is no dark magic or light magic, there is only magic and the weilders intent. So it has been broached in the Star Wars universe, there is no light or dark, only the force, and what you do with it. Sith have turned to the light and Jedi have embraced the darkness. Most notably would be Anakin, and his struggles. In the EU, and other SW games, characters such as Revan, have walked both paths. It seems the 2 factions keep certain information from their followers. One in particular is exploring the existance or non, of the light/dark sides of the force (Name of the game is not important).

So my question is this, if the current storyline were to go this route, could it survive? We have seen SW7 "The Force Awakens" and the release of the next installments title "The Last Jedi". It's speculated the combining of these 2 titles, could be a glimpse at events to come. If this is true, we may see a story unfold of Luke building a new group, of Force Users, not seperated by previous predjudices and doctrine. In the EU Luke Marries a Sith named Mara Jade (I know, EU is not canon, unless they wish to borrow from it. And most surely will) which would never have been approved by either council. Could we be seeing the dawn of Grey force users and the end of the dark/light factions?

Post edited by SikrouDeco on

Replies

• Options
    It is very possible, the Jedi in the prequels had become arrogant and blind as a result of their doctrine, failed to see the merit of the Dark and as a consequence, were defeated. In the OT, Sidious had become arrogant and blind as a result of his power, failed to see the Light in Vader and as a consequence, was defeated. It'd make sense for both sides to notice what was their downfall, adjust accordingly and grow more towards each other in the end, resulting in Grey Force users.

That being said, I'm not hoping it happens. I've always drawn the parallel between the Light and Dark side of the Force of the SW universe and the Chaos and Order ideologies in the Warhammer universe. One side seeks annihilation for reality, as we perceive it, while the other seeks transcendence, to lift reality up to a higher state of existence.
    It all can be traced back to Freud's theory of drives, Eros and Thanatos, something which, although it's been largely debunked in modern day psychology, still speaks greatly to the imagination.

This is what delivers the fantastical epicness of Star Wars. Sure, it's fun to see a character like Revan pop up now and then, someone who shatters the norm and opens up a plethora of narrative pathways and speculation, but shift the focus permanently to this greyness of moderation, away from that epic struggle of good vs. evil and well, Star Wars will no longer be Star Wars, not in my eyes at least.
  • Options
    Yeah, I can agree with this. I believe Luke will be the last Jedi and he will train rey in a completely different manner than he was taught prior. Teaching her how to balance her emotions, while telling her fear, anger, love, etc are OK. But also teaching her that she has to be able to control these emotions because they are natural. Basically letting her grasp the light side and the dark side, while not falling to the darkside.

Rey will not be a Jedi IMO, just a force wielder.
  • SikrouDeco
    338 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Interesting points.

There are force users in the SW universe that are neither light nor dark. Night Sisters only do or align with those furthering their own goals. In SWGOH they are branded "Dark Side" .
    Ahsoka aligns with them for a time and is labelled light side, but applies buffs to NS. So she is "Grey", she even remarks "I'm no Jedi.." To DV in the SW Rebels TV show).
    https://youtu.be/L9k3zy-Rr8c

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Personally, as long as the characters have personality and the movies are made with passion, I dont really care if they have a good reason for changing things up like that. However, getting rid of the jedi, sith, dark and light side of the force would alienate most of the people who watch the star wars movies. People recognize that kind of language and without it, most would feel cheated out of a good star wars movie.

I think those are some very interesting ideas and they are explored pretty well in the animated shows, but they wouldn't work in the saga.