Fisto a counter to poe?

Most people at the top of my bracket are now running poe + old Ben. It's a deadly combo. Their poe goes first ,its over due to old Ben going before your team.

While I have a 6* old Ben, I wanted to try to come up with a counter instead of just running the same and leaving it to a coin flip. So I decided to add fisto as leader.

After 1day of running fisto as lead I'm a little shocked at the turn outs. Old bens debuffs for most part seem to still hit, but out of 3 battles with poe only 1 time was anyone exposed. Also my poe has resisted almost all negative effects throwen his way. But the interesting thing, my characters seem to getting turns earlier than they were before when ai poe taunts first.

I'm going to be trying this for a few days see how successful it is. Fisto leader ability is only lvl 4 and I just hit gear 7 with him, so I still have work to do to him. But this could be a nice surprise.

Replies

• Options
    Fisto is slow. Weak. And ignorable. The only thing he has going for him is a high HP pool.
  • Options
    I'm guessing you have no idea why fistos leader trait could be a good thing that's been over looked.

Also fisto is about the best Jedi in game after qgj. Kind of close between him and aayla.

I'm trying new things. I have won 1st 99.9% in my bracket since hard launch back in November. And don't really care that much about finish 1st anymore as I have gotten bored with the whole being online for the last 30 minutes till rewards for sniping. I instead want to play around and see if I can come up with counters to some of the op characters, and see what I find.

If arena shipments change to a character I want, then I'll go back to carding, but until then, I just don't see a reason to try.
  • moongod
    298 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have him at 7*. Tenacity means nothing when your debuffers are getting blown up.

Edit. Scratch that. Had that confused with potency. Still can't justify giving up a spot for big damage boom booms. If they change the functionality of dots and allow them to kill then this might be interesting.
  • Options
    Mine is also 7*. Current team

7* fisto lead
    6* poe
    7* FOTP
    7* qgj
    7* leia

I had 7* phasma as lead before switching to fisto.

Fisto is in for leader ability only to resist debuffs. It is an expirment. If it doesn't work after a couple days I'll switch to something else. But I like the findings so far after 1 day of using him.

In case your wondering, I won 4 of 5 of my fights today. Only lose coming due to the team I'm actually trying to build a counter to, instead of doing same build

7* poe lead
    7* Rey
    7* GS
    7* old Ben
    7* qgj
  • Options
    moongod wrote: »
    Fisto is slow. Weak. And ignorable. The only thing he has going for him is a high HP pool.

Spoken like somebody that does not have Fisto, you should really run him before you speak. :D
  • Options
    Ben just slows things down and if won the Poe roll your losing a lot of DPS.
  • Breetai
    858 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Cythis wrote: »
    Ben just slows things down and if won the Poe roll your losing a lot of DPS.

Not with his 3 ohk characters. You need to kill his 3 before he kills yours. Old Ben offense down debuff keeps that from happening ( FOTP is lucky to hit for 1k while debuffed ). If his Rey, qgj, and GS get to attack twice each, its over. When his poe goes first, his old Ben goes before any my characters and that's when it's game over. I'm trying to withstand this and come up with something that's more than just a coin flip
  • Options
    I was thinking of trying

Luke (leader)
    Rey
    Poe
    Lumi
    QGJ

For a tenacity build. It will be a while tho, since I'm f2p
  • Options
    Just popping in to say that having a Poggle on your squad is a solid counter to the old Ben in those Poe+Ben combos. I don't know exactly the math, but it seems to even out in practice between the buff and debuff. And Poggle usually gets his off first even if their Poe goes first because old Ben is old.
  • Beefychops
    32 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Heya Breetai,

so that's the team Bochista runs. He must be in aus time zone as we fight the same time for #1 and #2. So I'm trying poe poggle with a few different DPS. I got through him yesterday with poe/daka and dps.

ben's the main threat with his debuff.

I see Jakuu Bombassa has taken him out with his QCJ led team. interesting I eat him up easy with a poe/poggle high dps setup.

Beefysolo
  • Options
    I'm assuming you use Kit as leader for his tenacity? Wouldn't Luke be a better leader then? He gives a lot more tenacity.
  • Options
    @Beefychops

I have no idea what time zone he is. He fights for 1st in my time zone as well, along with the others. He seems to just want to be in 1st period.

But I have been beating him last couple days. I finally learned a trick to beating him. Take out GS first. Then hope Rey only kills one or 2 toons by the time old bens buffs are gone, then start picking them one by one.

@Reyne

That's why I had fisto as leader. I have a 7* fisto while my Luke is 5*.

I have ended this expirment due to fisto having to low of dps for current meta. His resisting debuffs did not out way his lack of dps.

Stay turned for when I get my dooku up and try him as my lead.
  • Options
    Breetai wrote: »
    @Beefychops

I have no idea what time zone he is. He fights for 1st in my time zone as well, along with the others. He seems to just want to be in 1st period.

But I have been beating him last couple days. I finally learned a trick to beating him. Take out GS first. Then hope Rey only kills one or 2 toons by the time old bens buffs are gone, then start picking them one by one.

d.

Yo breetai how's it going with new meta? Seems bochista still trying to get #1 each hour.able to beat him out though with my current setup. He's using his qgj lead,yoga, gs, Rey, anakin setup at moment. Got my #1 on my time period and he went to take it after my award. Must be a megawhale!

Beefy

• Options
    Hey Breetai, first I must say that I'm a pretty big fan of yours since I saw you consistently rank 1 in our shard since the beginning. You're the one person I've aspired to beat the whole time, and the risks you're willing to take to discover new combinations really makes you one of the best players I know.

That all being said, I can't wait to face your new team. So far you've been droid proof, which appears to be a rising Meta. Me, EL, Swoop, and Loyd seem to be knocking more Phasma and Sid teams out of the top 20 every day.

Anyways good luck
    Dakkon Blackblade
  • Breetai
    858 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Beefychops

New meta is all about speed. Yoda makes Ben worthless, and a great counter to poe. However Yoda sucks on def. Which I'm sure bochista knows. Getting 1st in my time slot is now only a contest of 3 of us, and of course bochista, but I still get it. But he does get it right back afterwards, course at that point I don't care.

I'm getting dooku ready now. I'll be bringing him in against his all Jedi team ( except GS of course). That might help on def. Some

@Dakkon88

Thanks for the kind words. Would not say im that good, just have a lit of time on my hands. I try experimenting because I know there is plenty of great toons that work well that have yet to be discovered.

My new team is still being built. Only qgj, Yoda, and GS are staying, and I'm still working on yodas gear ( the dang purple eye balls will not drop ), still working on Rey and dooku to finish out my team. Not sure about Rey as she is just 6* but we will see when she is max geared.

But I don't think this team will nit do well on def against droids. There is a ton of droid teams in top 20 in our bracket. Not as much 1 hit kills in this line up which you need for def so someone takes out ig 88 before he unloads.
    Post edited by Breetai on
  • Options
    @breetai yo mate. So looks like your build worked today and kept him stuck at 3rd. I watched the ladder, big time qgj leading them all now. Just a few like loyd with poggle leading. Assuming he's got his droid team going there. Continuing my all grind to yoda. Should get 5-6 star by next reset. But who knows, may need to chase grievous when he comes out soon.

Beefysolo
  • Options
    Why don't you try using yoda and his tanacity up ability, that will completely counter old Ben.
  • Options
    Quick question- if you like Kit's lead ability at 25% tenacity, why not Luke's at 41%? I've never used in Arena but in GW he really helps against aoe enemies.
    {RotE}
  • Options
    Luke will do that role better
  • Options
    @Beefychops

No I don't think that's it. Yoda sucks when ai uses him. I have noticed last couple days he hasn't been been trying to get first in my time slot anymore. He doesn't even try for it right after. I think he hasn't been playing much as I seen his rank yesterday at 9th. I know it's playing time because he hasn't changed his team. If he starts losing he tries different toons, which I do as well.

This was started back in Jan before Yoda was in game. I used fisto instead of Luke because star lvls.
  • Options
    @breetai are you checking out royal guard? I see bochista has it in his line up so I'll take him on to see how the AI plays into it after reset.

• Options
    @Beefychops

I plan on useing him as well. I'm gearing him up now. Only gear 5
  • Options
    @Breetai did you have success against bochistas current setup mate? Qgj, gs, rg, Rey, hoth rebel scout?
  • Options
    @Beefychops

I haven't fought him yet. Been unlucky last 2 days where I'm at when I start climbing. Both days I have hit 2nd with my 5 free battles. I see no reason to spend 50 just to try to get that 50 back
  • Options
    Yeah Bree, I had the same.. Not worth the 50 to get a spot. I've got one free shot left now after getting my time zone award so shall test if he has a go at me. Will report back once I have a battle as he's a good benchmark test on meta.
  • Options
    Add Akbar he should remove all debuff am far being top player just a thought
  • Options
    Yep Finn, I just started on Ackbar so should be good to go in a few weeks. He's looking like a good counter.
  • Options
    Problem with Akbar is horrid AI.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options
    Hi all! Such luck in last 24 hours to find my servermates. I am X'lor Bintaghr.