New to game/advice

Hello all. Huge Star Wars fan from the original episodes(yea I'm old), big gamer, starting playing Swgoh and I love it! I have been playing 3 days I'm level 16. I opened 1 chromium pack do far and got Ima-gun-di from it. My other "starting" heroes are Consular, Chewie, the robot that special hits all enemies, and other guy I forgot lol a 3* sand guy.

Anyway my question is this: I have a budget of around $50-100/month I can spend, so what is the best way to use this? What should I do to start off with to get powerful fast? Open Chromium packs? Should I buy the $5 and $40 Dark/Light starter packs? Any help anyone can offer will be much and greatly appreciated.

May the force be with you all

Replies

• Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Unless you have several thousand dollars to sink into chromium, don't bother. Use your money on toon packs if they seem decent to you and energy refreshes.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    Unless you have several thousand dollars to sink into chromium, don't bother. Use your money on toon packs if they seem decent to you and energy refreshes.

Toon packs? Sry I'm still noob. Also, what about the dark/light side starter packs think I have like 1 day left to decide on those?

Thanks
  • Options
    Toons = characters. So he is referring to the character packs such as the dark side starter pack, jedi pack etc. The dark side starter pack helps dark side progression a lot, as you do not start off with many dark side characters in early game. I would also recommend the droid pack as well.

Purchase the purple crystals and use them to refresh energy for light/dark side battles and energy for the cantina (when you unlock it). Do not use them on the chromium packs. These are basically a lottery system, and like Teelan said, unless you spend thousands you're not going to get the character you want at high level.
  • Options
    Ok well I appreciate that. It's just tough bc I got a 4* toon from my very first pack (Ima-gun-di) so it made me think they are going to shower me with rare 4* toons lol. I guess I should save my money for purple crystals
  • Options
    I'd buy two cartons of cigarettes per month with the 100$. The result will be the same.
  • Options
    moongod wrote: »
    I'd buy two cartons of cigarettes per month with the 100$. The result will be the same.

Maybe a little tougher on the breathing though? *shrug*
  • Options
    I have heard many mixed things. I have read some people got 3 or 4 rare toons from a couple 8 packs. One guy got Leia, Old Ben, and Young Aniken from two 8 packs
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Trust us when we tell you not to buy chromium unless you spend thousands. Future pulls of that character will convert to shards. You need a lot of shards to level up the best toons.
  • Options
    Trust us when we tell you not to buy chromium unless you spend thousands. Future pulls of that character will convert to shards. You need a lot of shards to level up the best toons.

I trust you guys that's why I came in here. So I will probably end up grabbing like one 8 chromium pack and then just stop at that. After than I will buy purple crystals
  • Options
    So its good to grab the dark side starter pack though? Hoping for Dooku I've been reading he's op
  • Options
    It isn't hard to unlock toons in Chromium. It's hard to star them up. It takes 65 shards to go from 4* to 5*, then 85 more to 6*, then 100 more to 7*. At top levels in the arena, 7* is required to compete. If you pull a 4* character you already have, you get 32 shards. So, to 7* a chromium character you have to pull him 9 times. This is why it takes thousands to star up a Chromium character. Unless you're planning on spending enough to 7* a character, it's pretty much useless to have him. So, you're better off spending crystals on energy because you can actually 7* those characters.
  • Options
    Use regular refills up to but not including the 200 crystal one.
    Use cantina refills once you unlock them, up to but not including the 400 crystal one.
    Don't bother with chromium, ever ever ever.

If you don't want to be **** off, play a different game. They just release two updates this week that **** most people off. Rinse repeat.
  • Options
    Hello all. Huge Star Wars fan from the original episodes(yea I'm old), big gamer, starting playing Swgoh and I love it! I have been playing 3 days I'm level 16. I opened 1 chromium pack do far and got Ima-gun-di from it. My other "starting" heroes are Consular, Chewie, the robot that special hits all enemies, and other guy I forgot lol a 3* sand guy.

Anyway my question is this: I have a budget of around $50-100/month I can spend, so what is the best way to use this? What should I do to start off with to get powerful fast? Open Chromium packs? Should I buy the $5 and $40 Dark/Light starter packs? Any help anyone can offer will be much and greatly appreciated.

A few Chromium packs at the beginning can help you get started but you'll get diminishing returns from them and they're always a lottery. You were lucky to get Ima Gun Di, you could have easily gotten 3x drops of Ewok Scout shards, Ugnaught and some Royal Guard shards.

The crystal subscription isn't as good as it used to be but still not too bad, the starter packs will save you a lot of shard farming if you can float the price.
    I heard they reintroduced a starter pack which may contain Dooku but not guaranteed, don't know what they're charging for it though.
    The droid pack was a good investment, the jedi pack? Meh, you get a bunch of JC shards but Mace is really underwhelming (he needs a big buff). The Force Awakens pack was really pricey but I use Kylo in all modes including Arena on a hard launch server (finished 2nd today, 1st yesterday) .

After buying whichever packs interest you, spend your $50-100 a month on crystals for energy refills to farm gear and Cantina shards.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • KratosGodKiller
    10 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

A few Chromium packs at the beginning can help you get started but you'll get diminishing returns from them and they're always a lottery. You were lucky to get Ima Gun Di, you could have easily gotten 3x drops of Ewok Scout shards, Ugnaught and some Royal Guard shards.

The crystal subscription isn't as good as it used to be but still not too bad, the starter packs will save you a lot of shard farming if you can float the price.
    I heard they reintroduced a starter pack which may contain Dooku but not guaranteed, don't know what they're charging for it though.
    The droid pack was a good investment, the jedi pack? Meh, you get a bunch of JC shards but Mace is really underwhelming (he needs a big buff). The Force Awakens pack was really pricey but I use Kylo in all modes including Arena on a hard launch server (finished 2nd today, 1st yesterday) .

After buying whichever packs interest you, spend your $50-100 a month on crystals for energy refills to farm gear and Cantina shards.

The new dark side starter has 1 of 3 chars: Dooku, Oppress, or Gen Veers. $5. Is it worth it if you don't get Dooku are the other two any good?
  • Options
    Any word on the value of new dark side starter pack?
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Does it still come with crystals? If so its worth it.
  • Options
    I dont know anything about veers but to be honest for $5 it will give u a nice little advantage at the beginning regardless of which one u get, but dooku is the best of those 3 at low levels
  • Options
    Hiya..

My advice is to have fun, spend or don't spend, that's your business use the guides that are linked here in the forum. Team Instinct has some well thought out summaries regarding the aspects of the game, Cantina has great tools for stats and synergies, SWGOH Database has a neat reference tool as well.

Most of all have fun and don't let your forum experience get you jaded. There are many different opinions about the game and none are totally right or wrong. People here usually try to help as best they can.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
  • KratosGodKiller
    10 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Hiya..

My advice is to have fun, spend or don't spend, that's your business use the guides that are linked here in the forum. Team Instinct has some well thought out summaries regarding the aspects of the game, Cantina has great tools for stats and synergies, SWGOH Database has a neat reference tool as well.

Most of all have fun and don't let your forum experience get you jaded. There are many different opinions about the game and none are totally right or wrong. People here usually try to help as best they can.

Thank you for this much appreciated.

• Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I wouldn't broadcast that. It violates TOS and can get you banned.
  • Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Hiya..

Thank you for this much appreciated. I am considering buying an account from a guy now, is that a bad idea?

Oh yeah my bad I'll just stick with my account anyway didn't realize it was against the rules
  • FashionFett
    891 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Oh yeah my bad I'll just stick with my account anyway didn't realize it was against the rules

Thanks.

FashionFett.