How to balance the speed factor

Come up with a system of cards you can play before the battle to put a debuff on characters on the opposing team. For example before a battle you play a -30 speed card or a -10% offense on a specific character on the other team. These would be a one time use, play as many as you want at a time. You can use 400 GW, cantina, arena, guild, or fleet tokens on a 3 pack of cards.

Replies

• Options
    It's this something specifically for arena use or any game mode?

What about raid? Would they work on bosses?
  • Maljr1980
    493 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was thinking for arena, maybe GW since it uses arena teams as well
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Cast a spell card
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Cast a spell card

Its a Trap! (card)
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Cast a spell card

Its a Trap! (card)

Why not? I've watched every Star Wars movie several times, and I've never seen anyone "heal". So why not have spell cards
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    Maljr1980 wrote: »
    Cast a spell card

Its a Trap! (card)

Why not? I've watched every Star Wars movie several times, and I've never seen anyone "heal". So why not have spell cards

Mainly cuz spell cards would just add to the ever complicating mess that we already have. The problem isn't really speed and speed mods, it's that the game is so dependent on the first move of the game so whoever moves first gets to decide too much in the battle.
  • Options
    I think it's definitely **** if you have a higher speed you go first every time. You should just have a better chance to go first, then the turn meter goes into effect. First round turn order I think should be based more like a d20 initiative system. But everyone complains about how speed secondaries ruined the game, so I'm just trying to come up with a way to add some balance
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely **** if you have a higher speed you go first every time. You should just have a better chance to go first, then the turn meter goes into effect. First round turn order I think should be based more like a d20 initiative system. But everyone complains about how speed secondaries ruined the game, so I'm just trying to come up with a way to add some balance

So basically, speed wouldn't mean anything? How would adding more RNG make the game more balanced? There's already more than enough threads complaining about RNG. At least speed is something you can control. If someone goes before you, that means they put the energy and time into farming mods and they should be rewarded for that.
  • Options

So basically, speed wouldn't mean anything? How would adding more RNG make the game more balanced? There's already more than enough threads complaining about RNG. At least speed is something you can control. If someone goes before you, that means they put the energy and time into farming mods and they should be rewarded for that.

Speed would still affect turn meter build up. I'm just throwing out ideas, look at how many threads there are complaining about how mods are broken and how the only thing that matters about mods is the speed secondaries and how every other secondary abilities on mods is pretty much **** and has no overall affect.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

Speed would still affect turn meter build up. I'm just throwing out ideas, look at how many threads there are complaining about how mods are broken and how the only thing that matters about mods is the speed secondaries and how every other secondary abilities on mods is pretty much **** and has no overall affect.

We don't need more randomness to determine things, at least we can control the speed that we put on to a character, we just can't control the speed we get in mod farming. I'm all for letting speed mods allow us to manipulate turn order, but the fact that so much is determined in the game from who shoots first is what makes the problem.
  • Options

We don't need more randomness to determine things, at least we can control the speed that we put on to a character, we just can't control the speed we get in mod farming. I'm all for letting speed mods allow us to manipulate turn order, but the fact that so much is determined in the game from who shoots first is what makes the problem.

How can you change the effect of who goes first though? That is his whole point.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    How about a system of cards you can play before the battle to put a buff on characters on your team. For example before a battle you play a +30 speed card or a +10% offense. We could then call the cards mods, just for kicks.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    please no
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Nooo don't make this into Magic the Gathering :/
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Adding more rng to a match is not a fix.

Adding a mechanism that allows you to effect the other players build is not a fix....sorry.
  • Options
    They need to make more stats relevant. 2000 secondary protection stats is nothing compared to a 1 speed secondary stat that makes your toon go first as almost everyone deals huge damage. Prot, def, tenacity especially and all other secondaries need to be boosted greatly as atm there is hardly any point in mod sets when you can through random set with good speed secondaries. Make the other stats more relevant
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

How can you change the effect of who goes first though? That is his whole point.

No his whole point was making it random so we wouldn't be able to determine who went first, the game would need a large change to make the entire "going first being a win" idea change.
  • Options
    the problem is speed is too much important with two effects :smile: Playing first and effect on turn meter. If we had two skills like speed (with effect on turn meter) and initiative (just to determinate a first sequence for each char), it will be différent.