Crystal prices increase.

There can be no justification whatsoever for the inflation busting hike in price for crystal purchases. To go from £14.99 to £19.99 for the "most popular" option is exhorbitant to say the least. Over the last 12 months or so playing this game I have spent a lot of money but you will not be getting a single penny from me from now on. What a complete rip off and what an atrocious way to deal with your customers.

Replies

• Options
    Judd335 wrote: »
    There can be no justification whatsoever for the inflation busting hike in price for crystal purchases.
    This is where you are totally wrong.
    See here
    http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=1Y
  • Options
    Bobby777 wrote: »
    This is EA, does it really surprise you?

Sorry, you wrong too.
    I'll make a safe bet that the OP has IOS. And its Apple who is in charge of currency rates.
  • JPBrunel
    821 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I believe that Android has adjusted their prices as well in England. The hike in prices in England isn't driven by CG/EA though... It's iOS and Android that adjusted their prices in their entire app store, not just in this game. This is all due to the pound £ having lost a lot of value in the past few months...
  • Options
    Another game I play u buy things in US dollars adjusted for your exchange rate This game just puts what ever they want, we get hosed in aus paying 60% more then US.
  • Judd335
    17 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    To use the exchange rate mechanism as an excuse is lazy to say the least. If you look over the last 12 months there hasn't been a significant change at all. I agree that the price hike far exceeds the percentage change in the pound against the dollar. Another prime example of corporate greed.
  • Options
    artax wrote: »
    They might seek to justify it based on the currency exchange but the price adjustment is significantly higher than the reduction in the value of the £.
    Not really.
    You don't know which year exchange rate used to be implemented

You are comparing exchange rates of 2016 to 2017.
    But perchance previous prices were fixed on 2013 exchange rate.
    (thing like that happened in my country, so i can definitely say it's possible)

And see here
    http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=5Y
  • jackTHErandom
    1195 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If we take the highest value from oct 2015 (most likely when prices were set, shortly before launch) and compare that to the latest value in feb 2017, gbp lost 19% against the USD

20% price increase sounds about right if you ask me...

https://m.investing.com/currencies/gbp-usd-historical-data

Thank the Brexit!
  • Options
    If we take the highest value from oct 2015 (most likely when prices were set, shortly before launch) and compare that to the latest value in feb 2017, gbp lost 19% against the USD

Thank the Brexit!

Quoting the highest possible price to compare with is deliberately exaggerating the change.
  • Options
    MackemSLAM wrote: »

Thank the Brexit!

Quoting the highest possible price to compare with is deliberately exaggerating the change.

Well when do you think the prices were set and which exchange rate was used when the game launched in october/november 2015? Using a later exchange rate is deliberately downplaying the devaluation of gbp
  • Options

Thank the Brexit!

Are we supposed to take financial opinions from someone who can't do basic maths? £14.99 to £19.99 is a 33.blah blah blah percent increase, not the 20% you suggest
  • Sordyn
    37 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Simply Old Vault price = £79.99 / $99.99 = £1.25 to the Dollar, since October 2016 EA have been loosing up to 11% per micro transaction.

Does this warrant a 25%-33% price hike ? I don't think so.
    Post edited by Sordyn on
  • Options
    Silverbane wrote: »

Thank the Brexit!

Are we supposed to take financial opinions from someone who can't do basic maths? £14.99 to £19.99 is a 33.blah blah blah percent increase, not the 20% you suggest

Ups, my bad... I calculated w 17,99 as new price for whatever stupid reason...

Well in this case, yeah, give em hell!
  • Options
    The UK is now paying in pounds what the rest of Europe is now paying in euros. Even with the fall in the pound it's still worth more than the euro. At about £17 I could have gone along with the currency balancing raise, however the set increase is just ridiculous
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    Dyakoff wrote: »

Sorry, you wrong too.
    I'll make a safe bet that the OP has IOS. And its Apple who is in charge of currency rates.

You are also wrong too. Currency rates are determined by the market forces of supply and demand.

• Options
    Add to this the fact that the silence on this matter from EA has been deafening.....

• Options
    Judd335 wrote: »
    Add to this the fact that the silence on this matter from EA has been deafening.....

I'm very angry at the price hike but on this occasion I'm not blaming EA.

Silver lining- I'm spending far less. £1k per month down to £280. I'm guessing I'm not the only one.
  • Options
    Vault of crystals costs 100 USD in the US

Vault costs 100 GBP in the UK

1 GBP equals 1.25 USD

So a vault costs 25% more in the UK compared to the US, ie the equivalent of $125

How is this justified?

The percentage differences are even greater for cheaper packs.
  • Options
    How much does 2800 crystals cost in the EU ? Just curious . But yes uk prices are ridiculous it is apple and android doing it but I wonder how much extra app companies bulk it up for them selves ...... like most I've reduced spending drastically don't like the felling of being ripped off .
  • Options
    Not going to be most popular, for much longer.
  • Options
    So I'm from Canada. My display price for 220 crystals is 2.79 (1.99 I guess to a person in the states) then I get conversion on top of that. So 220 costs me 3.21 today. So I'm essentially paying conversion on a converted amount...
  • WrathofCaedus
    1880 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Silverbane wrote: »

Thank the Brexit!

Are we supposed to take financial opinions from someone who can't do basic maths? £14.99 to £19.99 is a 33.blah blah blah percent increase, not the 20%

Read it wrong the first time, it is about 33% and that's a bit much
  • Options
    Winstar wrote: »
    Dyakoff wrote: »

Sorry, you wrong too.

You are also wrong too. Currency rates are determined by the market forces of supply and demand.

FOREX much more complex than equities, macroeconomics and governments are what change exchange rates. Many things like currencies that are pegged to the dollar and have nothing to do supply and demand economics.
  • BoxandthefuzzReturns
    273 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Beavercorp wrote: »
    So I'm from Canada. My display price for 220 crystals is 2.79 (1.99 I guess to a person in the states) then I get conversion on top of that. So 220 costs me 3.21 today. So I'm essentially paying conversion on a converted amount...

The $2.79CDN is already the converted price from $1.99US. You're not paying on top of that. However, the conversion rate has been too high for the better part of the year.

We are however, taxed on top of that amount for 5%. So what you're actually paying is $2.93CDN for that pack. Not sure why you're seeing an extra charge on top of that. I don't get charged any more than this.