Why is the AI so inept in ship battles?

Why does the AI never use GS' assist attack? Not for you or for the opponent! Why does it use Ahsoka's special ability to recover her protection when she already has more bonus protection from assists? Why doesn't it use Fives' special to apply target lock but waits to use it until someone else applies it? Why does it use JC's special when it has a chance to destroy an enemy ship with a basic attack?

And on a side note - thank you for all the new content and everything but why is it taking so long to address Biggs taunt bug so he doesn't apply it whenever he feels like it? Just had a battle where the opponent's FOTF applied Target Lock with both its attacks on the same ship and his Biggs gained protection twice...and in my next move I used Fives's special, applied Target lock and my Biggs didn't taunt....and you can imagine how the battle went on from there.

Replies

• Options
    I think you are mistaking a few simple lines of code for an AI.

• Options

What do you mean? I've read the ability descriptions I don't know how many times...still does not explain that it never uses GS' special ability nevermind if the enemy has Target lock or not..
  • Options
    Never really thought about GS, but now I realize that the AI doesn't use his assist, I don't even remember if I have seen it
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Melvil wrote: »

What do you mean? I've read the ability descriptions I don't know how many times...still does not explain that it never uses GS' special ability nevermind if the enemy has Target lock or not..

He means that AI is short for "artificial intelligence," and the code used for computer-driven battles in this game is not meant to pass for intelligence.
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »

He means that AI is short for "artificial intelligence," and the code used for computer-driven battles in this game is not meant to pass for intelligence.

I get that it's not an AI per-se but you all get the point especially since it's widely used here in the forums with just the same meaning that I used it with. AI or code or whatever you want to call it - it's not working properly.
  • Options
    I love it when im fighting an ackbar lead squad and the defender AI never uses specials when under Master Plan. Works like a charm lol. I quit using him and switched to Mace after seeing that problem was normal
  • Options
    What do you mean?

I mean each character is governed by at most 3 lines of code. One for selecting which character to target and one or two for selecting which ability to use.

[Tank Class]
    If Taunt is available, Then use Taunt
    If not, Then use ability 3>2>1

[Healer]
    If Character Health is less than 25%, Then use Heal

This is not AI. Expecting anything else outside of these simple logic is simply not going to happen.
  • Options
    What do you mean?

I mean each character is governed by at most 3 lines of code. One for selecting which character to target and one or two for selecting which ability to use.

[Tank Class]
    If Taunt is available, Then use Taunt

[Healer]
    If Character Health is less than 25%, Then use Heal

This is not AI. Expecting anything else outside of these simple logic is simply not going to happen.
    Exactly. Its poorly written, rushed. Theyll fix it

• Options
    The AI is not meant to simulate human play; it's meant as a convenience. Some things have been recognized as bugs (one thing mentioned here, GS not using his crew ability, is a bug), and are being looked at. But the AI can't replace human decision-making, and I don't think we should expect it to.
  • Options
    Mageduckey wrote: »
    The AI is not meant to simulate human play; it's meant as a convenience. Some things have been recognized as bugs (one thing mentioned here, GS not using his crew ability, is a bug), and are being looked at. But the AI can't replace human decision-making, and I don't think we should expect it to.

Not using special attacks under Ackbars Master Plan is clearly not WAI