All Buffs are Bugged

For some time I have suspected that the Teebo stealth bug was merely the tip of a massive iceberg of a bug affecting all buff types, and recently I just got confirmation that this is almost certainly true. While doing the final ship droid challenge I used Mace's capital ship to put a multi turn taunt onto Sun Fac. Immediately after he was fired on by a ship with a buff and then the taunt vanished.

Assuming that this isn't somehow unique to only these buffs it means that if you are running a ZQGJ lead and Yoda goes first with his BM he will only have one turn of foresight left and will overwrite the two turns on everyone else so that they lose it immediately after they go. If you use Qui-Gons dispel and give your team offence up for three turns and they then get a shorter offence up from any other source they will lose those extra turns.

Presumably this is also going to be a problem with debuffs as well, give someone a two turn ability block with Boba Fett, and if someone else hits them with another ability block before their next turn they will now only be blocked for one turn. Only HOTs and DOTs wouldn't be affected by this.

This is a massive bug that affects all parts of the game, and it is pretty much impossible that the devs wouldn't have noticed it back when they first tried to fix Teebo, but instead of fixing it they just chose to ignore it. Really disappointed with yet another example of second rate developement quality from this game, but not really surprised.

Replies

• Options
    I've suspected this for quite some time. I'm glad you've put it together in print.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Interesting and could have been part of what they were referring to when they said that fixing stealth would be a bigger issue then just teebo.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Interesting and could have been part of what they were referring to when they said that fixing stealth would be a bigger issue then just teebo.

If it's a bigger issue, shouldn't it be a bigger part of their to do list...? Just tossing that out there.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    I've often wondered this, thanks for the confirm.

I wonder if status effects can just be added to a <list>(), and each instance of a buff has its own turn timer. The status effect method could apply a particular effect as long as the list isn't empty. At the end of each turn, reduce all counters, and if they are 0, remove just that instance from the list. Buff cleansers and such can just immediately clear all clearable lists.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

If it's a bigger issue, shouldn't it be a bigger part of their to do list...? Just tossing that out there.

Fixing bugs takes time.... yeah it sucks to be on this end of it.

Bigger issue means more time needed to fix, it doesn't mean more priority.... it should, but it doesn't
  • Options
    @crzydroid it definitely could be set like that. I suggested that a while back but that thread is long gone. They could also fix it with simple if then statements in refrence tof leader/unique abilities. I'll use teebo as an example "if buffstealth = true then skip leader stealth roll =true ; else skip leaderstealth roll = false"

Granted my code language and spacing is off I'm sure but it should be pretty close to that. Been a long while.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Whazn wrote: »
    @crzydroid it definitely could be set like that. I suggested that a while back but that thread is long gone. They could also fix it with simple if then statements in refrence tof leader/unique abilities. I'll use teebo as an example "if buffstealth = true then skip leader stealth roll =true ; else skip leaderstealth roll = false"

Granted my code language and spacing is off I'm sure but it should be pretty close to that. Been a long while.

I think the problem with using if statements to skip it is that if they had the one turn stealth, they'd be skipping a chance to get it again for the next turn.
  • Options
    I think debuffs don't suffer this. I've hit people with a 2-turn Stun or Ability block with a 1-turn version before, and it didn't even attempt to apply, no resists or anything, and they remained with the correct length
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah debuffs don't seem that way, TFP's AoE is a good way to test it due to how much TM he gets under EP (his AoE is usually off CD while the debuff is still up).
  • Options
    I think debuffs don't suffer this. I've hit people with a 2-turn Stun or Ability block with a 1-turn version before, and it didn't even attempt to apply, no resists or anything, and they remained with the correct length

They definitely dont seem to, often in dark side I'll have 1 boss remaining with a 2 turn stun from palp and I can 'stun' them again with daka or rg but they still get the full 2 turn stun.
    This is a signature.
  • Options

They definitely dont seem to, often in dark side I'll have 1 boss remaining with a 2 turn stun from palp and I can 'stun' them again with daka or rg but they still get the full 2 turn stun.

This might have something to do with the fact that when you taunt with a stealthed character, the taunt overrides the stealth and stealth disappears. If a taunting character gets stealthed the stealth will override the taunt. Debuffs don't need to worry about other debuffs conflicting with them. You can Deathmark a character and inflict any other debuff you want and it won't matter because none of them have any impact on the other. But you can't be stealthed and taunt at the same time, so there needs to be some sort of override. Maybe all buffs have this override function with eachother like stealth and taunt.
  • Options
    You can this mechanic to your advantage in P1 of tank takedown. If Boba Fett has bounty hunter's resolve and a debuff from a magnaguard you can trigger Grevious's tactical maneuvering and if it causes one of the magnaguards to taunt it will get dispelled at the end of Boba's Turn
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Whazn wrote: »

I think the problem with using if statements to skip it is that if they had the one turn stealth, they'd be skipping a chance to get it again for the next turn.

For the if statements you could use:
    If CBD < NBD-1:
    NBD()
    Else:
    do nothing

New/current buff duration.
    It would need else ifs if there are special additions (like STH taunt).
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    You can this mechanic to your advantage in P1 of tank takedown. If Boba Fett has bounty hunter's resolve and a debuff from a magnaguard you can trigger Grevious's tactical maneuvering and if it causes one of the magnaguards to taunt it will get dispelled at the end of Boba's Turn

While I dislike the fact that these buffs are all bugged, I had never realized this, but it could be potentially useful. Then again I usually run my Jedi in p1 and Boba gets to have more fun later in p3 or p4. Can probably still work if you AOE to give GG tactical maneuvering and then the magnaguard taunt will be dispelled at the end of the turn as long as whoever AOE'd was debuffed by the magnaguards as well.
  • vessaharja
    585 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    These bugs are a prime example of the following:

- Mobile games are still in their infancy.
    - Mobile games are mainly cash cows.
    - Bad code is a huge problem in programming. There just aren't enough good people and a lot of the work is outsourced to 3rd world countries like India.
    - No need to fix because fools will pay anyways.

Some of you remember this. I bet it's the same devs.

car.gif
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »

While I dislike the fact that these buffs are all bugged, I had never realized this, but it could be potentially useful. Then again I usually run my Jedi in p1 and Boba gets to have more fun later in p3 or p4. Can probably still work if you AOE to give GG tactical maneuvering and then the magnaguard taunt will be dispelled at the end of the turn as long as whoever AOE'd was debuffed by the magnaguards as well.

Maybe, I have never really kept track of when tactical manuevering is going to happen though, just thought it might be worth mentioning
  • SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

This might have something to do with the fact that when you taunt with a stealthed character, the taunt overrides the stealth and stealth disappears. If a taunting character gets stealthed the stealth will override the taunt. Debuffs don't need to worry about other debuffs conflicting with them. You can Deathmark a character and inflict any other debuff you want and it won't matter because none of them have any impact on the other. But you can't be stealthed and taunt at the same time, so there needs to be some sort of override. Maybe all buffs have this override function with eachother like stealth and taunt.

If anyone noticed in the latest "Ground War" event, using the event's special, "Stand Aside", for Teebo, while stealthed, would cause his Stealth to disappear.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Olga wrote: »
    Yeah debuffs don't seem that way, TFP's AoE is a good way to test it due to how much TM he gets under EP (his AoE is usually off CD while the debuff is still up).

That is not really a true test of the issue.
    The overall problem is one debuff or buff overwriting a current one. If you apply the same debuff from the same character the debuff will extend.
    Your example with tfp.
    He inflicts bi for 2 turns.
    Some characters take a turn and have 1 turn left with bi.
    Tfp again inflicts bi for 2 turns.
    The ones that had 2 turns left with bi have 2 turns still the ones that had 1 turn left will have it changed to 2 turns.

Same thing is what allows 5's to do a permanent speed down in raid. As long as he reapplies before opponent takes 2nd turn he will keep them with speed down.

I am pretty sure haven't paid that much attention, that I have seen the issue with cassian.
    I will try to test tomorrow in GW. Cassian first special applies debuffs for 2 turns he second can reapply those same debuffs for 1 turn. So if say he ability blocks someone with his first special that should be 2 turns but if he uses his second to copy onto that same character it will overwrite the 2 turns ab with a 1 turn ability block.
  • Options
    Yeah, sounds like debuffs are working properly then, but I don't see why the fix for buffs would need to be so hard. If a buff is applied, check if that buff is already present, and if so keep the longer of the two durations. The code to do this is so simple that I could run it on redstone circuits in mincraft.
  • Traybor
    96 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like debuffs are working properly then, but I don't see why the fix for buffs would need to be so hard. If a buff is applied, check if that buff is already present, and if so keep the longer of the two durations. The code to do this is so simple that I could run it on redstone circuits in mincraft.

It might be a bit more complicated if the magnitude of each buff is different. It won't be enough to track duration, but you'd need to make sure you're apply the right amount. And does that mean that applying a lesser buff overrides the larger, or do you always get the larger benefit while it hasn't timed out?

Of course, there's some speculation there. But given that the amount of speed reduction on 5s needed to be lowered, it seems likely each buff or debuff has a strength value in addition to duration.

But, yea, if it's working for debuffs then why not buffs.