Why is RNG so prominent in GoH?

There are always complaints floating around about random chance when it comes to games, but it is a core design in GoH. My question is, why is Random Number Generation so important to GoH characters? The more random things are, the less skillbased the game becomes.

Let's list some examples.

Emperor Palpatine's Power of the Dark Side hits the entire enemy team and has a 70% chance to stun everybody. Tenacity and Potency both exist in the game which are already altering the success rates of debuffs, so what's the point of a 70% chance? If Power of the Dark Side is too strong, then EP should have a very low base potency, not a 30% chance that it just straight up won't work. Potency and Tenacity are your balance, not some random roll of the dice. This means that strategy in how you gear your characters, strategy in how you build your team to compensate for a 100% chance, high potency EP matters. As it sits, you can have 100% equal teams going against each other and have one get absolutely curb stomped because the cards fell in just the right way. How is this challenging or fun for anybody?

I just watched my B2 Super Battle Droid miss 12 40% chances in a row to gain turn meter (no, he didn't have shock on him). The match ended up just barely in the enemy's favor. If even one of those 12 40% chances had triggered, I would have won the match. Again I ask, how can this be working as intended? How does the random element that has the ability to remove all skill from team building and gearing be a core component of a competitive game?

I am happy that we are seeing less randomness and more cause and effect in recent character designs, but I wanted to get everyone's opinions on the state of % chances in GoH and am curious to see everyone's views on it.

Replies

• Eyi
    209 posts Member
    Options
    Qgj basic ...60% chance to reduce tm blah blah

10 times in a row hitting a reduced tenacity gamorrean captain .....10 times resisted.

I know it happens sometimes ...indeed last rancor qgj got resisted 2 out of 10 time but when the RNG is not in your favour in this game ...you are dead.

A few rancors in the past i managed to solo the heroic rancor with my f2p tmr team having an excellent rng

Today happened what i said before, qgj gettin resisted always... teebo loosing stealth every time...and when activating special...guess what (the known bug... some ppl saying is WAI XD) Phasma speed down getting resisted.... even rexs basic 4 / 10 times resisted ...really? High potency and still resisted that many times? TFP no words ...never fails.

But cmon even when teebo was in stealth ...his attack is dodged ...why????? :(

Rancor in my guild lasts 15-20 mins as much after the 0 damage time so i had no other choice to stick around with this awesome rng :3
  • Options
    Rng is a scam to give AI bonuses and steal your money and time. For example, the 35% chance to dodge for Tie Fighter might as well say AI only
  • Options
    Zeta Finn resistance says hi.

Bring your dice.
  • Options
    Google B F Skinner and "random reward". Or go watch the zombies in Vegas at slot machines at 3 am. Answer: it's addictive and effective.
  • Options
    The trick to randomness is that you only notice when things go wrong. When B2 gets its turn meter twice in a row, you think it's working as intended. When it doesn't trigger once in three hits you think it's broken. But twice in a row is a 16% probability while three failures in a row is 21.6%.

Randomness works out over the long run, but we only see the short run.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • 0N49X
    28 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just passed Mace's final tier ship challenge, it's all about RNG, nothing else!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    This is kind of a side not but I don't think it's worth its own post.

I get the whole rng thing and I don't have anything to say about the way it works as far as the overall stats, they seem odd but not crazy, I just ignore the exact number and it makes me feel better.

My "issue" is the streakiness of it. Yes it all works out in the end, but it's either genius or bad programming.

Genius because, well, a gambler won't quit on a hot streak. And the other side is the gambler that will think the next one will be a win on the losing streak....
  • Options
    I feel like tenacity and potency are in the game to keep a gear 0 character from stunning a gear 11 character, because that is what is expected. Also your B2 could have been shocked or dazed and you just didn't notice?