Are you smart by....

Being f2p and using all the free options to milk credits and gear

Or dropping some cash and gearing up your roster quick.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    well, in fear of stating the obvious: you can also be smart by using your bought crystals as efficiently as possible. You don't need to be f2p to be smart.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    It has more to do with your bank account and the value you place on your time. One can argue that people who spend are generally smarter as that's how they've accrued their money to begin with.

However, if you're comparing the two strategies, spending a little will get you a lot in return. At the beginning, if you have the right characters and buy enough gear to place well in raids it's a gift that will keep on giving.
  • Options
    It has more to do with your bank account and the value you place on your time. One can argue that people who spend are generally smarter as that's how they've accrued their money to begin with.

However, if you're comparing the two strategies, spending a little will get you a lot in return. At the beginning, if you have the right characters and buy enough gear to place well in raids it's a gift that will keep on giving.
    +1
  • Options

One can argue in that fashion. But one would be wrong most of the time.

Master, how can you say something like this?
  • Options
    I mean, I think you progress faster by just playing the game rather than spending the same amount of time working in a job and using that money to buy stuff in it, and thanks to the auto button it is totally "afk"
  • Options
    P2p is beating the game on extra super very easy setting, forever. F2p is setting it on chernobyl spicy wings and never winning. Do whatever is the most fun for you, right?
    Look into the eyes of the dragon and despair....
  • Options
    P2p is beating the game on extra super very easy setting, forever. F2p is setting it on chernobyl spicy wings and never winning. Do whatever is the most fun for you, right?

Haha that's actually pretty much it.
  • Options

Yeah, because clearly, one accrues money by spending it on games like this...
  • Austin09370
    850 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JPBrunel wrote: »

That doesn't even make sense, lol. You don't have to be frugal to have a lot of money. You just sound bitter. Ever think that people view $100 significantly differently depending on their economic standing? To some that's a substantial amount to others its negligible.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

That doesn't even make sense, lol. You don't have to be frugal to have a lot of money. You just sound bitter. Ever think that people view $100 significantly differently depending on their economic standing? To some that's a substantial amount to others its negligible.

regardless of how people view $100 differently, some people are comfortable with spending way more of their income/savings procentage wise than others. You don't need to have alot of money to spend alot on games. Some players might have spend way less money than others, but at the same time used a larger percentage of their income on this game.
  • Options
    Or you could surmise that ppl with more than $100 of disposable income might somehow against all expectations be able to net things that they can see and touch or even decorate their house with instead of things that blink or flash and yield no long lasting joy or comfort, while still being able to claim non racist/anti semitic status!!!
  • Options
    Let's get past the ethics, smugness and hideous run on sentences.
    You are not "smarter" for being FTP or PTW. It is simply a personal choice based upon your level of commitment to the game.
    Personally, I love the game. But, I have no need to spend money on it. I'm quite happy with my progress and ranking.
    Intelligence has no bearing on the decision to spend or not.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Or you could surmise that ppl with more than $100 of disposable income might somehow against all expectations be able to net things that they can see and touch or even decorate their house with instead of things that blink or flash and yield no long lasting joy or comfort, while still being able to claim non racist/anti semitic status!!!

i'm pretty sure you can do the exact opposite and still claim non racist/anti semitic status.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

i'm pretty sure you can do the exact opposite and still claim non racist/anti semitic status.

Please elaborate on how you would do this :D

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

Please elaborate on how you would do this :D

i feel like you're accusing me of being a racist now ^_^
  • Options
    Well adonai-dangit, thats no answer, dont try and wiggle out of this because ill be able to tell, im totally racist
  • Options

regardless of how people view $100 differently, some people are comfortable with spending way more of their income/savings procentage wise than others. You don't need to have alot of money to spend alot on games. Some players might have spend way less money than others, but at the same time used a larger percentage of their income on this game.

Right, I agree that people can have different spending habits regardless of their income. However, the higher the income the higher the discretionary income for games and whatever else. At no point did I say this was an absolute or even suggest that it wasn't possible for lower income users to spend substantially more. I can't tell if you're trying to argue or what exact point you're trying to make.
  • Austin09370
    850 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    BigTxFrank wrote: »
    Let's get past the ethics, smugness and hideous run on sentences.
    You are not "smarter" for being FTP or PTW. It is simply a personal choice based upon your level of commitment to the game.
    Personally, I love the game. But, I have no need to spend money on it. I'm quite happy with my progress and ranking.
    Intelligence has no bearing on the decision to spend or not.

First off, the oxford comma is your friend. Also, I don't think anyone is trying to be smug. If anything, people are defensive for being FTP.

Overall, I agree it's personal choice on how you play freemium games (it takes all types for the system to work), but being "smart" (or strategic) often plays a role in how you use your resources within the game. This can apply to both FTP and P2P albeit they may have different resources. To really compare intelligence in strategies, players need the same goals and value time outside of the game similarly. Understandably, this is hard to measure and will vary greatly depending on the individual.
  • Options
    I agree with one of the posts from yesterday which stated about having a balance of free resources and spending some cash here and there.

There is always a saturation point if you are all ftp or all cash.

Find that balance and you will have fun in swgoh or any freemium game.