Why does nothing make sense?

Why does everything in this game not add up properly?

Yes, I know. That's a broad, sweeping allegation to make. Please allow me to explain, and then please provide me with some answers, as you see them.

Right now, the game is split between character battles (GW, Arena, Cantina, etc) and ship battles. With every character you have right now, there is a level (1-85), stars (1-7), mods, gear level, leader skills and synergies which all determine your "power". If you run a team of all Sith that are level 85, but are only gear 5 and star 4, the only thing you have going for you is a synergy potential, and your collective "power" will be low. But I'm seeing more often than not that in character battles, power is meaningless. Obviously, this is due to other factors; synergy, star or gear level, mods, FOTM characters, etc. I can rationalize that to an extent. That being said though, at least on the character side of things, that means there are many many times where you lose in GW or Arena for seemingly ludicrous reasons. I've consistently had instances where I've lost against the FOTM Wedge/Biggs/Lando teams. But the insulting aspect of these losses are that they are (on paper at least) SO much weaker than my team. I'll have a 40k power team, all 85's, all 7 star, all modded, with a good synergy, and lose by a large margin to a team who is 12-15k less power, level 70-75, non-7 star, with barely any mods. In these instances, I know it's the synergy that's beating me, but it's demoralizing to say the least when I worked hard to get my team appropriately leveled and geared, and get decimated by someone who's half-assing it.

Like I said though, I understand there's a LOT more factors at play on the character side of things, but it's really becoming glaringly obvious that many aspects simply do not matter. Level or star rating or even power level simply don't matter.

On the ship side of things, it's a lot more simple. There are no mods (yet). Simply level, star level and some vague synergies. This SHOULD level the playing field, where if my power level is higher than my opponent's, then I should win (barring my not making any play style mistakes). But that's also not the case. If the teams are close to even 115k power vs a 118k power for example, then it SHOULD go either way. But again, I've had MANY instances where my 115k power team gets crushed by 90k-95k teams, and many instances where I've decimated 120-130k power teams with my 115k.

This just leads me to yet another conclusion that none of the numbers, the stats on anything, really matter.

I expect RNG to play a role in everything, and RNG is the bane of every video game player in the past 20 years. But should it be THIS out of whack? I've had to change my direction in this game more times than I can count, because of shifting FOTM characters, and trying to stay competitive. I get that EA is trying to make money, but this is frustrating to say the least.

Let me know what you think. Am I completely wrong here and just need to walk away from what I perceive as a mess of a game at times, or is there something actually flawed in the system here?

Replies

• Options
    Besides an undeniable AI advantage, great synergy is far more important than stupid power numbers. I normally defeat 42-43k power teams with my 35k Rebel team without a sweat.
  • Options
    Also about fleet battles: a 110k power 4* capital ship is way more powerful than a 115k 5* capital ship. Why? Because 110/7=15,71 while 115/8=14,38 so individual ships are stronger. Especially if they have synergy while you don't
  • Options
    If I understand you correctly - Yes I think you're right - this game become more and more RNG dependant.
    But I look at this on bright side - I started not care too much and play less and less which is good :smile:
  • Options
    pargame wrote: »
    If I understand you correctly - Yes I think you're right - this game become more and more RNG dependant.
    But I look at this on bright side - I started not care too much and play less and less which is good :smile:

The citadel and upcoming packs helps even more.

• Options
    Special snowflake spotted.
  • Options
    Tactyou wrote: »

No - I don't care about packs. They made even shops RNG dependant - you should pray to RNGesus to have ability to buy shards/gear....And chances to dodge/resist... I shot on STHan with my SF - dodge - this is game changer...What can I do ?!? Nothing - just lose and try again...
  • Options
    Tactyou wrote: »

No - I don't care about packs. They made even shops RNG dependant - you should pray to RNGesus to have ability to buy shards/gear....And chances to dodge/resist... I shot on STHan with my SF - dodge - this is game changer...What can I do ?!? Nothing - just lose and try again...

Haha I feel ya mate.

• Options
    It happens all the time - before battle I make my plans - look at enemy toons' health - then decide which one to attack with Wiggs to OHKO it - and one or two dodges :smile: Or their STHan remove TM from my toon and their become faster...it is really become better to auto it. I started auto ship battles and maybe soon will start to auto arena too...
  • Options
    The only way I've been able to beat the synergy is extra attacks. Ie counter attacks.. let them pay for hitting an entire team. I do not have problems beating wiggs/lando/boba. Ships do have synergies and the right combo of ships can be devistation. I am one of the 96k teams beating 115k teams. I have noticed most of the higher power teams are running home 1 but aren't running the proper ships to synergize with it. A lot goes into how you plan the ship battles. Biggs/home combo means you have to take Biggs first. No matter who else they have because he keeps building shield. If they have maul and it Stealth's Biggs you might get in trouble. I do agree they have made areana not much fun and many many toons need reworks to balance things out again.
  • Options
    Just because someone has a weaker team doesn't necessarily mean he or she is half-assing it.

I play the game every day and I farm gear and shards every day. I've been really unlucky with gear (currently need Fusion furnaces for my entire arena squad plus other toon in my roster). So they are mostly stuck at 8 and I'm trying not to spend money as it is an alt account. I've spent money on my main account but have been forced to curtail even that due to life circumstances and the cost of keeping up.

I have good mods on my Bounty Hunter team but they are mostly gear 8 (32k total power) and I am fighting G11 Wiggs teams with 40k + power and beating them even though I lose badly on defense.

Part of the point of this forum is so you can learn what teams do well and which ones are just chum in the water. You can learn what mods to farm and how to mod your squad. If you want to do Jedi or Sith or Empire or clones, there are multiple squad comps to make any of those factions work.

Aside from Boba, my entire team is non-META and I stay competitive even though I am completely outclassed. The trick is knowing what to farm and adapting to your arena. When I started my alt I had plans of doing a droid team. Lo and behold there was a conflagration of over a dozen droid teams all in the same two guilds. Within a few weeks all sorts of antidroid teams started popping up so I forsook the path of the droid and went Scoundrel. My Scoundrel team has now morphed into Bounty Hunters as Wiggs teams hit 80+ and people put omega's on Biggs and Wedge and the Great Mustache and his poker buddy Han were no longer able to keep up.

The team you are using now can likely be tweaked into something more competitive. You just need a little vision and maybe a little squad advice.

Cheers Bro!
  • Options
    Said the same thing yesterday. Power level is meaningless because it doesn't include calculations for synergy. Until it does, it makes no sense and carries no meaning.
  • Options
    Power doesn't equal high offensive output, as many tend to believe. Take RG, for instance. He has a very high power because of the health & defense he has but doesn't really do much damage when he hits you.
  • Options
    If power determined the strength of a team, the best team would be Nightsister Initiate, General Kenobi, Baze Malbus, Darth Vader and Shoretrooper
  • Options
    Just because someone has a weaker team doesn't necessarily mean he or she is half-assing it.

That's a really good point and thank you for pointing it out. I stand corrected. The rest of your response was amazing too and I thank you for it.

I think my overall frustration is at some point stats became less important and it became a synergy game. And I must have missed that memo because I was planning teams based off strength and not on synergy and now I feel left behind.

Really great responses though from all and I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming!
  • Options
    Often, it's about matchup. If the other team's linchpin is a taunt and you have a dispeller, it can make the difference between you losing 0-5 and winning 5-0. If they rely on early use of special abilities and you have an ability blocker, could be game over.
  • Options
    Power calculations vastly overrate health and protection stats. So tanks have much higher protection than attackers. For example, my STHan is at 9288 power. My TFP is at 8226. Both are 7*, level 85, g11. Both have killer mods -- TFP more so than STHan. The difference is that STHan has almost 60k in combined health and protection, whereas TFP is around 30k.
  • Options
    When I started playing this game, I could basically predict who I was going to beat in the arena based entirely on power. It was just a matter of continuing to level and gear toons that started running away in the power department. It was a straight farming race, and it started to get pretty boring. More importance on synergy strategy and the buff/debuff/TM chess match of a PVP fight along with more complex abilities and mods has made for a more skill based game. It is frustrating to lose to a team that you "should" beat on paper, but the more you understand all of the factors, the less you care about power. For instance, the teams running a geared, modded 3* shoretrooper have low power because if his rarity level, but you know based on the composition of your team and theirs whether you have the right situation to fight through the pre-taunt or not. Things may have swung in a little bit of a confusing direction (I still can't stand the whole Wiggs thing, no offense if you're running it, I just don't get why such obscure characters were given thaaat much power when the rebels just needed a little boost for the Palp event), but overall I find the strategy of the game more engaging than ever. I just hope they don't ruin it with overpriced new characters. I've always been f2p but I recently spent some cash after the Kylo rework. I'll gladly do the same for some of these new sith characters, but I'm not spending hundreds of dollars to stay competitive in a mobile game, which is what it looks like I'll have to do if I want to 7* any of those characters at probably 3,000 credits for 5-30 shards... likely leaning hard towards 5. Hopefully they realize that they're moving in the right direction and lots of people will pay a reasonable amount for that rather than depending on goading the crazies into draining their 401ks for this thing.