New Zeta Abilities & Zeta Distribution Rate

Prev1
This purpose of this thread is hopefully for an EA member to respond and help us understand the current Zeta strategy and current distribution rate.

Recently we've had more old and new characters released with Zeta ability mats. Especially for old characters the zeta abilities are good and make those squads effective to play; essentially the zeta abilities are the only thing that make those characters playable. Unfortunately the drop rates in the zeta challenge are very low and that combined with Fleet Shipment purchases, can take 3 to 4 weeks on average to farm one set. That's what myself and my guildmates have experienced at least. At that rate, we can only fully update a squad like the First Order or Sith after about 3 to 4 months when you factor in all of the zetas available to that group and like I said before; it's the zeta abilities that make them effective. If EA is releasing at least 2 new characters a month and 2 to 3 re-works per months, that's 4 to 6 zeta's per month, so after 3 or 4 months of farming one set of zeta abilities we'll 12 to 18 zeta sets behind. It's not something that should be easy but the current zeta drop rate doesn't allow us to try most of the new character updates.

I'm curious if the EA team has looked at zeta drop rates and other related data to see if the current drop rate is good for the pace of new and reworked characters released. This isn't meant to be a negative thread, just trying to understand what's going on with zetas. It's a little disheartening to see all of the new characters and character updates and know that I'll never be able to try most of them. Best Regards - J

@EA_Jesse
@CG_Kozispoon
@CG_TopHat

Replies

• JJBagger
    331 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So it's official. I've completed 8 ship ability challenges and received 0 zetas. This is 100% deceptive and definitely not as described. The "possible rewards" is 100% misleading. @SnakesOnAPlane
    Post edited by JJBagger on
  • Options
    JJBagger wrote: »
    So it's official. I've completed 8 ship ability challenges and received 0 zetas. This is 100% deceptive and definitely not as described. The "possible rewards" is 100% misleading. @SnakesOnAPlane
    +1
  • Options
    JJBagger wrote: »

It's a mix of possible and guaranteed, with guaranteed in view but not possible in reality. It makes no sense:

IMG_7321.jpg

SnakesOnAPlane
  • JJBagger
    331 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This zeta RNG/blind man contest is horrible. It seems they want p2p to spend more money. I spent to get the ships now can't get 1 to save my life. Just really disappointed
  • Options
    I guess I don't understand why my post title was edited and moved? Trying to hide it?
  • Options
    Argument is RNG but the reality is this is all getting ridiculous. Mod drop rates, zetas, packs. It's wrong.
  • JJBagger
    331 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @GuyfromSyracuse are your mod drops bad too? Mine seem to be worse the last few weeks. Almost like buy the tournament mod packs or suffer. Torn
  • Options
    Almost all E level mods. Then I'll finally get one moderately worthwhile and health goes up less than a B2 basic
  • Options
    Wow depressing
  • Options
    You recived no zeta, and what ?
    I did over 100 ability material chalenges and recived only 3 omegas.
  • Options
    Update.... 4 zetas from 20 challenges
  • Options
    This is very true, sadly. On top of that the fact you Zeta-ed a character does not mean it stays relevant for long. On the one hand I can imagine the goal of restricting access to Zetas (=slow farm) is to diversify the field and force people to commit to one team (e.g. Sith, First Order etc.). The constant rework of old chars or release of new ones on the other hand makes people want to change direction, which is either impossible or will make the already invested Zeats feel wasted. Zetas are meant to be special, but I see where the OP is coming from. If it would make sense or not for a Zeta to be movable maybe twice after the initial use is a question for another day, but we sure need a way to not get behind on all the new Zetas being added to the game, to the point that we simply can't try even 10% of them in the long run.
  • Options
    The thing is if you're behind in zeta farming then everyone else is too. I like that they're so hard to farm because they really make you think about who to put it on
  • Options
    And you you put it on the best toon out there according to everyone only to have CG nerf the zeta before you can even really get any use out of it. Yes, Vader. If I knew they were going to do this, I would of saved it for Maul when I get him ready in a couple months. Now, gear farming, there is an even bigger problem.
  • Options
    Now, I really do like the idea of being able to move a zeta even a limited number of times. Same goes for gear. You want to see the meta change constantly, that would certainly do it. Will never happen tho as it would severely curb their massive greed problem.
  • Options
    Bump... hoping for some dialogue with EA
  • Options
    Simply put, it is extremely difficult to fully invest in multiple teams. . If you want to raid gear and zeta them at least. The zetas have to take long because you need a long term goal, if everything was easily available the long term playability would decline rapidly, and ea would lose money. The 'grind' exists because this is first and foremost a buissness. This is how they get you to sign in everyday, and continue playing. The experience of playing and farming everyday is the cornerstone of mobile games, and getting people buying 'shortcuts' is profitable. The 'grind' is what keeps the game going as well as new content from time to time. As an wise being once said "Patience you must have, my young Padawan".
  • Options
    The aim of the game, quite simply, is longevity. When mods were released, it was stated quite unequivocally that we - the players - are consuming content and reaching "end-game" far quicker than they (CG) anticipated. Hence mods, hence ships, hence slow-farming zetas. It's all designed to keep pushing "end-game" further away, and if I were being cynical, I might throw in a comment about incentivising you to purchase crystals / new toon packs.

To the OP, the situation you describe is exactly the situation we are supposed to be in. It's what keeps you coming back to the game, playing (and paying, in some cases).

I'm not saying it's right, or wrong, or anything - just telling it like I see it based on previous official communication (regarding player progress and consumption of content).
  • Options
    How is four months to zeta a squad patience? That's ridiculous. If it took a month to zeta a squad, okay. Maybe even a month-and-a-half, but 4 months? We'll be grinding out way to 90 in 4 months. I get longevity and balance, but this is insanely too long. The grind to unlock General Kenobi was reasonable for what you get, but Zetas feels unreasonably long.
  • Options
    Shameful bump hoping for some dialogue.

Also, we really need a way to try something. Something looks good on paper but then it turns out to really not be good at all, it's not always easy to determine the reality by what's written. Based on the zeta distribution rate at this time, assigning a character a zeta set is a pretty hefty cost for it to not be good. Perhaps a one-time cost to remove zetas within 5 days of zeta'ing the ability could be added so players have a chance to use a zeta and see how it actually performs without letting players abuse such a system.

@EA_Jesse
    @CG_TopHat
    @CG_Kozispoon
  • Options
    For the love of all things, please don't tell me you are asking for any easy button for zetas.

You don't get it. The idea is that in 3-4 months, nobody is going to have more than 1 squad with zeta. It means as people pick different guys to zeta it diversifies the field. Meaning we dont all have the same zeta teams. People will have different teams. If we all had zeta Vader, Bob, Sid, FO, Sith, then what would be the point?

But while I may have Vader and Kylo Ren, you may have Dooku and Maul. They want to spread out the zetas across as many toons as possible so we don't all do the same cookie cutter roster.

So between longevity and diversity(which people cry for all the time) Zetas are working perfectly in my opinion. Whales can't really even go too much faster, other than they can finish top 5 in ships, but they can't farm them faster than you. So it somewhat levels the playing fields too.

No easy button for zeta's that would ruin this game.
  • Options
    This is not pokemon.

You do NOT have to collect them all.

Pick a star team. Pick 5 secondary teams. LEAVE THE REST.

WAI.
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Options
    Arkham wrote: »
    This is not pokemon.

WAI.

Okay, so what % of characters with zeta do you think would be reasonable to collect?

@Arkham
  • Options
    OMG thats insane! Lately I have been trying to get the insane requirements for the Zeta challenges.

But, after hearing about these stupid drop rates, it sounds smarter just to save up fleet tokens and buy them for 2k each...
  • Options
    This is not pokemon.

WAI.

Okay, so what % of characters with zeta do you think would be reasonable to collect?

@Arkham

To start, pick one.

Then pick another.

Then pick another.

After about a year of this, they will introduce the next big character improvement, and your focus will switch to that. Like with omegas, at this point, they will add more ways to farm zetas.

Defining an endpoint doesn't make sense. That's like defining an endpoint in life: "Once I've farmed $1 billion, I'm done" "Done with what, life?" "Yeah" "So ... you'll commit suicide?" "Err ...."

Would you stop playing after zeta-ing all possible skills? Would there be any reason to continue playing?
    Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
    https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team
  • Options
    james2266a wrote: »
    And you you put it on the best toon out there according to everyone only to have CG nerf the zeta before you can even really get any use out of it. Yes, Vader. If I knew they were going to do this, I would of saved it for Maul when I get him ready in a couple months. Now, gear farming, there is an even bigger problem.

I don't know what your problem is.. It was widely known Vader Zeta was bugged and not WAI, there is no reason to be upset there

@Darth_Jay77 I can understand your feeling and I do think 2-3 weeks (ranking atop in ships and counting on 2-3 Zetas from challenges) is quite a long time to farm, however, if I got Zetas at a higher rate I would get stuck on omega mats again which would make less sense to me.
    As others have said, Zetas could lead to more diversity if more people were less risk-averse. What we're seeing right now though is the krakens Zetaing someone, if it works, whales, dolphins and eventually FTP will follow suit, if it doesn't especially FTP will be sitting on their Zetas until the whales have confirmed it's worth the investment.
  • Options
    Absolutely. That's what I've been doing
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This is not pokemon.

WAI.

@Arkham

To start, pick one.

Then pick another.

Then pick another.

After about a year of this, they will introduce the next big character improvement, and your focus will switch to that. Like with omegas, at this point, they will add more ways to farm zetas.

Defining an endpoint doesn't make sense. That's like defining an endpoint in life: "Once I've farmed $1 billion, I'm done" "Done with what, life?" "Yeah" "So ... you'll commit suicide?" "Err ...."

Would you stop playing after zeta-ing all possible skills? Would there be any reason to continue playing?

After a "year"? We'll be leveling to 90 before the summer is over and then it'll be a grind towards something new. Yes, I would absolutely keep playing and grinding zeta's because there will always be something new to prepare for. Every day I farm certain pieces of blue gear so when a new character is released, I can gear it up faster than if I wait. I would be more likely to quit by being stuck with the same arena squad for 1 to 2 months straight and being bored. With some variety you have the option to try different squad arrangements and keep things fresh, otherwise it gets real boring real quick.
    Post edited by Darth_Jay77 on
  • Options
    KeKattia wrote: »
    james2266a wrote: »

I don't know what your problem is.. It was widely known Vader Zeta was bugged and not WAI, there is no reason to be upset there

@Darth_Jay77 I can understand your feeling and I do think 2-3 weeks (ranking atop in ships and counting on 2-3 Zetas from challenges) is quite a long time to farm, however, if I got Zetas at a higher rate I would get stuck on omega mats again which would make less sense to me.
    As others have said, Zetas could lead to more diversity if more people were less risk-averse. What we're seeing right now though is the krakens Zetaing someone, if it works, whales, dolphins and eventually FTP will follow suit, if it doesn't especially FTP will be sitting on their Zetas until the whales have confirmed it's worth the investment.

You should have 10 omega's within 10 days of completing dailies, if not sooner because some RNG can net you a couple from the ability mat challenge. Whereas with new characters you obviously need more omegas but with existing character, you may already have their abilities omega'd and just need the zeta mat set (zetas, omegas, purps).
  • Options
    Doesn't seem like a problem to me. The long farm for Zetas keeps everyone interested and gives them purpose. It also forces P2P to have patience and farm. You can farm from fleet shipments and from challenges.