Kylo Ren better than you think he is

Take_a_Bite
352 posts Member
edited February 2017
So the big question I've had (and many others) is when do the offense and defense buff effect stacks expire when granted by dots or counter attacks.

Based on swgoh.gg the buff effect stacks expire on "full turn complete" which was thought by many including me to be equivalent to "turn end". After looking at STH by chance I see his level 4 taunt ability also uses full turn complete x2. Which causes his taunt to last a length of time equivalent to 3 "turn ends". This leads me to believe that the defense gained from dots and counter attacks actually lasts until Kylos next turn instead of disappearing at his turn end.

Could someone perform a test on this ability? Perhaps on phase 1 AAT where gg basic hits without dots and then after he applies a bunch of dots you can see if he is doing less damage on his basic.

TLDR; Kylo dots make him tankier until his next turn instead of EOT

Replies

• Options
    Zkylo sucks. His ai is useless. Speed and reduced dot damage does not make a tank.....
  • Options
    Please read my discussion on the mechanics of his unique ability. I believe the dots from his unique and from Vader and sidious increase his defense by a significant amount until his next turn. This makes him really stack up on his defense bonus which is relevant in the current meta.
  • OnEMesSduPKiD
    669 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Someone already did this experiment. Look up zeta kylo tank raid. The decreased dots and protection absorb make him invincible.
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    In the videos I saw that the damage variance of general g makes it difficult to tell if the dots defense stacks are persisting past the end of turn. If someone had a clear video it would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Yeah, the Zeta Kylo tank raid is not about the same thing as this thread.

This thread's topic may factor into how that was possible, but is neither discussed, nor shown to be.
  • Options
    WhiskeyPug wrote: »
    Zkylo sucks. His ai is useless. Speed and reduced dot damage does not make a tank.....

No, what makes him a tank is in fact his zeta that recharges protection based on damage of his special which it's cooldown is reset after he takes damage right lol?
  • 1AmYourFath3r
    3103 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    They persist until the start of his next turn, after the dots proc. Once he attacks, the defense and offense buffs reset. If he still has DoT's, when they proc again, he gets the bonus until he attacks.

If he gets hit between that time, he gains bonuses for each attack, and does take less damage each time.

So, if you're attacking him with low dps characters, over and over, watch out on his next turn - it's going to be nasty. He's going to take next to no damage the more attacks he takes, and he's going to be really mad when he attacks next, and it's going to hurt.
  • Options
    They persist until the start of his next turn, after the dots proc. Once he attacks, the defense and offense buffs reset. If he still has DoT's, when they proc again, he gets the bonus until he attacks.

This is what my topic is about. If your look at the mechanics on swgoh.gg, the mechanics show that the offense and defense buffs from dots do not reset after his attack and instead last until his next turn. This is based on the STH taunt evidence I pointed out above. I'd like more confirmation because many people still think the offense/defense stacks reset after an attack.
    Basically I'm trying to figure out the exact way "full turn complete" works in swgoh.gg mechanics. Note that several characters use this or "end of turn" interchangeably.
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    https://swgoh.gg/characters/kylo-ren/ability/unstoppable

https://swgoh.gg/characters/stormtrooper-han/ability/draw-fire

Here's links to what I am talking about. Notice that change for STH from level 4 to level 5. It switches from full turn complete to end of turn. So at what point in a turn does full turn complete tick by 1. If someone has a STH with level 4 draw fire we could see exactly at what point during the turn the buff expires which would then prove Kylos case as well.

Perhaps @CG_Kozispoon or another Dev could clarify the mechanics on this ability? It would be much appreciated.
  • Options

No, what makes him a tank is in fact his zeta that recharges protection based on damage of his special which it's cooldown is reset after he takes damage right lol?

I think what he means is the if the AI sees more than 1 opponent it will always uses lash out, so the only way AI kylo benefits from lash out is if his cds dont reset. So the zeta on lash out isn't great for defence.
  • Options
    Maybe a hypothetical will make my question more clear.

Let's say Kylo has full health, no protection, and 10 dots on himself and he just took a turn (just used lash out). Next it is your shoretroopers turn and he has taunt available. After shores turn it will be an enemy Vader turn who has culling blade ready. If Kylo still has his defense buffs from the 10 dots from his previous turn he will survive the culling blade, if not he will die. So will the defense buffs from the dots have not expired yet and thus save him? If they expired it would be better to use shores taunt. If they didn't expire then saving shores taunt for 1 more turn might be the better option.

This is why I would like to know how this unique ability works.
  • 1AmYourFath3r
    3103 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    As far as I can tell, the bonuses from DoT's are given and used at the same time. Given before Kylo attack, at the start of the turn, and do not persist after attack, as the attack itself is the end of the turn. The only way to benefit from the defense bonus is by physical attacks from an opponent.
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Maybe @CG_CapGaSP or @CG_Conduit23 could comment on how this ability works.
  • Options
    As per the link of STH by @Take_a_Bite , it's easy to understand. 2x full turn complete = 3x turn end
    Obviously Kylo's Full Turn complete means 2x turn end
    Easy
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    johnne wrote: »
    As per the link of STH by @Take_a_Bite , it's easy to understand. 2x full turn complete = 3x turn end
    Obviously Kylo's Full Turn complete means 2x turn end
    Easy

Based on a video I just watched, these two mechanics are not equivalent. Full turn seems to check for both a "turn beginning" and "turn ending" before ticking off the effect by 1. The question then becomes does this check for the beginning of a characters turn apply before or after dots deal damage. Logically a turn beginning would be checked for and then the dots would deal damage, but it could work either way in this game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_vQyEXl76s

Here is the video (at 4:53) that shows an early level STH getting defense up from Royal guard after taunting. Defense up expires after full turn complete x2. The defense up and STH taunt expires at the same EOT so the full turn complete x2 != to end of turn x3 in this case.
  • Options
    Minutiae of the actual mechanics aside, all I know is a fellow on my shard has zKylo in his squad. He takes a long time to kill, and by the time you have the 1 or 2 higher priority targets down (EP and Boba) Kylo is doing 10k crits on his AE. When attempting to whittle him down he starts using his special ability for 40-60k+, fully healing protection, and it's GG.

Seeing him in action in this way is disheartening, and I actual try to avoid fighting that guy. But I'll start putting Ani in my squad to stop that protection healing, since EP's Shock doesn't.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options

What? He isn't a tank, he is an attacker, and a great one.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Options
    Zylo is friggin exceptional. Even on defense, 10k AOE every single turn is nasty.
  • Options
    Most impressive.
    Less than a week to go for me until my G11 Zylo :)
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options
    theHejiN wrote: »

Holy Guacamole!
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Based on that video it does seem the defense gained from dots expire at the end of his turn thus it counts the damage from dots before checking for a turn start. Then at the end of turn the defense expires because it has completed a "full turn". But one thing to note is that defense gained from counter attacks does not expire at the end of the turn, so Kylo welcomes all counter attacks to strengthen his defense!

Also that was an entertaining video lol, Also I like the spacing and size of the numbers a little better in the Japanese version of the game
  • Options
    Based on that video it does seem the defense gained from dots expire at the end of his turn thus it counts the damage from dots before checking for a turn start. Then at the end of turn the defense expires because it has completed a "full turn". But one thing to note is that defense gained from counter attacks does not expire at the end of the turn, so Kylo welcomes all counter attacks to strengthen his defense!

Also that was an entertaining video lol

You don't say...
  • Take_a_Bite
    352 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

You don't say...

Well I was looking for hard evidence and the damage variance that characters have can make it hard to see if they are hitting less due to increased armor or if they are hitting less because of the variance.
    I believe this video shows on multiple occasions that after Kylos turn he's take about the same damage from a character regardless of the dots

Your earlier comments looked like speculation to me. A clear video is far more telling evidence.
  • Options
    All I know is that I was wondering if Zylo should be my 5th for my Nihilus team...and after watching the video, my answer is **** YES!
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Awesome video. Very happy to be working on him now.
  • 1AmYourFath3r
    3103 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

You don't say...

Well I was looking for hard evidence and the damage variance that characters have can make it hard to see if they are hitting less due to increased armor or if they are hitting less because of the variance.
    I believe this video shows on multiple occasions that after Kylos turn he's take about the same damage from a character regardless of the dots

Your earlier comments looked like speculation to me. A clear video is far more telling evidence.

Sorry, my comment was based off using a maxed Kylo (minus Zeta) for the last month in the game. I guess I should have stated that....
  • Options
    hes amazing, glad i zeta'd him.
    Cant wait for the 4x speed up feature, can easily go 5vs1