I'm on an ancient shard, and I blew it

Prev1
McBee
228 posts Member
When I downloaded this game originally, I was in a Star Wars mood, and was leaving for a business trip and needed something fun to do on the plane before 4 days of boring work stuff. I stumbled on it in Google Play and it sounded fun. This was in November 2015. After Christmas that year, I sort of lost interest in it and put it down. The level cap was like 70 at that time, and there weren't that many features.

I just picked it up again about 2 months ago to see what's going on, and obviously it is a lot better. Now I'm really hooked. But I am on a Nov 2015 shard of people who have played consistently. I sit at about #650 in the arena, surrounded by some teams with 45,000+ squad power and toons so incredibly geared, I usually see them in screenshots of other people in the top 10 or 20 on other shards.

I'm not complaining, just kicking myself and laughing. I cannot envision ever even breaking the top 100 on this shard. Just wanted to share my story.

Replies

• Options
    start a new account. do your research and use your crystals on 50/50/100/100 refreshes. it's worth it.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    start a new account. do your research and use your crystals on 50/50/100/100 refreshes. it's worth it.

I've been working hard over the last 2 months, and have done pretty well for somebody that only spends maybe $40/mo - (though last month I went a little crazy, can't afford to do that again). I kind of hate to start over. But I get your point. That would be the only way to stay competitive at my current level.
  • Options
    McBee wrote: »
    When I downloaded this game originally, I was in a Star Wars mood, and was leaving for a business trip and needed something fun to do on the plane before 4 days of boring work stuff. I stumbled on it in Google Play and it sounded fun. This was in November 2015. After Christmas that year, I sort of lost interest in it and put it down. The level cap was like 70 at that time, and there weren't that many features.

I just picked it up again about 2 months ago to see what's going on, and obviously it is a lot better. Now I'm really hooked. But I am on a Nov 2015 shard of people who have played consistently. I sit at about #650 in the arena, surrounded by some teams with 45,000+ squad power and toons so incredibly geared, I usually see them in screenshots of other people in the top 10 or 20 on other shards.

I'm not complaining, just kicking myself and laughing. I cannot envision ever even breaking the top 100 on this shard. Just wanted to share my story.

I did the same thing except I came back in July last year. Not nearly as long of a break as you. Just now I get into the low 100's before payout.
  • Yogi
    907 posts Member
    Options
    If you start over you can use what you know know on the new account and rank higher in arena. If you are able to stay there you will surpass the amount of crystals you bought in arena crystal payout rewards in a short time.
  • crzydroid
    7333 posts Moderator
    Options

I've been working hard over the last 2 months, and have done pretty well for somebody that only spends maybe $40/mo - (though last month I went a little crazy, can't afford to do that again). I kind of hate to start over. But I get your point. That would be the only way to stay competitive at my current level.

I think if you can let go of being competitive in arena and play the game just for fun, I think that's a major victory. I'm personally opposed to the start over route because there are genuinely new people who still download this game, so how is it fair to them to have their top 10-20 be full of ringers?
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    Options
    I came back after a 5 month break and went from 1000th to top 50 in arena.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    crzydroid wrote: »

I think if you can let go of being competitive in arena and play the game just for fun, I think that's a major victory. I'm personally opposed to the start over route because there are genuinely new people who still download this game, so how is it fair to them to have their top 10-20 be full of ringers?

I certainly don't have a need to dominate in the arena, and I am definitely playing for fun. But I would like to do better than top 700 at some point because of the payout, and because I can't afford to whale my way through the game. Again, I'm not complaining - I definitely did it to myself. I'm not even mad about it. It's just funny that it happened this way.
  • SikrouDeco
    338 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't recommend starting over, you will fall further behind unless you spend a lot. Build Rebel and Sith/Empire Teams.

For Rebels farm Leia, Lando, Wiggs, Biggs. STH, You get GA with ships. For Sith/Empire farm: DS, EP (From event when ready) CD, RG. Build up DV with ach's and the various shops as he appears. In a month of daily playing and routine levelling you will be in much better shape than starting all over.

To obtain credits build a Scoundrel team Chewie, Boba, STH, Cad Bane, IG-88. Use them in the Credit Heist event.

Farm GW for rewards, don't worry if you cannot finish it all. Try getting below 500 in Arena, then you will have 500 tokens + 200 from dailies. These can be used to obtain some of the heroes I mentioned above. The same holds with GW use those tokens to obtain and level desired heroes. If you are not in a guild, find one that raids weekly to obtain coins to help obtain gear and heroes.

Hope this helps.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    Sith is where my focus has been all along. I have totally neglected my rebels, and I want Palp bad. So I am trying to work on them as fast as I can with my limited resources. I should unlock Lando today or tomorrow. Here's what I'm working with: https://swgoh.gg/u/mcbee/collection/
  • Options
    I'm in the exact same position...I left back when Old Ben's Leadership/evasion was first fixed and Guild Raids were relatively new.

I redownloaded the game the other day and was ranked 1800 in arena, with nothing but level 85, gear 8-11 people surrounding me. I'm lucky to see anything less.

I started a new account but it's so hard letting go of my old characters. Especially if I have to farm the same one's all over again...it's genuinely painful. I'm currently stuck running two accounts and not knowing what to do. So I understand.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same position...I left back when Old Ben's Leadership/evasion was first fixed and Guild Raids were relatively new.

I redownloaded the game the other day and was ranked 1800 in arena, with nothing but level 85, gear 8-11 people surrounding me. I'm lucky to see anything less.

I started a new account but it's so hard letting go of my old characters. Especially if I have to farm the same one's all over again...it's genuinely painful. I'm currently stuck running two accounts and not knowing what to do. So I understand.

Exactly. I think it would be really cool if you could share resources between accounts in the same way many people play MMORPGs

• McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    When I left there were no guilds, no ships, no mods, no Palp, and no First Order or Resistance (I don't think). Simply unlocking Vader was the talk of the town lol
  • SikrouDeco
    338 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Exactly. I think it would be really cool if you could share resources between accounts in the same way many people play MMORPGs

You can, if you have multiple accounts and/or are in a guild. Lol I have 3 PL 85 accounts, in our guild. We needed more teams in the early days so... But, it can be a real grind sometimes keeping them going and growing lol

If you are interested Grey Area 51 (I'm Leader) has room. We raid weekly T6/5 and AAT normal. Send me your ally number if you want an invite. We have enough heavy hitters to carry lower level players, all we require is each member complete the dailies to contribute to guild coin totals to obtain Raid Tickets.
  • Javik
    246 posts Member
    Options
    Over time you will increase in rank. I play on a November 2015 shard I am about rank 350 and have to fight tons of zeta squads. I still have yet to complete all the rank 9 Cantina, Light and Dark Side battles. That is my main focus. I am fine with playing in the top 500 because you get about 40 crystals just doing the daily activities and galatic war and get another 60 from the arena payout. I learned a long time ago I would have to spend money constantly to keep up with the competitive bunch. I also do not have any zeta materials. Something will help with going up in rank is that now the daily mission is to complete only 2 arena matches instead of 3 so those that only do the 2 battles will start to fall behind allowing those who try all 5 battles to climb in rank. I would not start over a new account unless the only part of the game you care about is keeping a high arena rank.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    SikrouDeco wrote: »
    You can, if you have multiple accounts and/or are in a guild. Lol I have 3 PL 85 accounts, in our guild. We needed more teams in the early days so... But, it can be a real grind sometimes keeping them going and growing lol

If you are interested Grey Area 51 (I'm Leader) has room. We raid weekly T6/5 and AAT normal. Send me your ally number if you want an invite. We have enough heavy hitters to carry lower level players, all we require is each member complete the dailies to contribute to guild coin totals to obtain Raid Tickets.

I appreciate the offer, but I just recently joined a new guild where I'm really satisfied in the progression level and other members. Thanks a lot though.

• SnakesOnAPlane
    4363 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Starting new accounts isn't always so easy. If one wants to open an all new iTunes or Google Play account, more power to them. Sure, one can do it on another device pretty easily, but you're screwed on your main device, as you can't have multiple logins on iTunes or Google Play. And I'd hate to lose all my other paid apps and music during switches.

For Apple, one could just create a new Game Center account, but you'd lose all your other games saved data (until you sign back in to your old Game Center account). Still a PITA.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Options

I appreciate the offer, but I just recently joined a new guild where I'm really satisfied in the progression level and other members. Thanks a lot though.

You're welcome, good luck with your new guild. MTFBWY
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options

You're welcome, good luck with your new guild. MTFBWY

Thanks bro
  • Options
    Javik wrote: »
    Over time you will increase in rank. I play on a November 2015 shard I am about rank 350 and have to fight tons of zeta squads. I still have yet to complete all the rank 9 Cantina, Light and Dark Side battles. That is my main focus. I am fine with playing in the top 500 because you get about 40 crystals just doing the daily activities and galatic war and get another 60 from the arena payout. I learned a long time ago I would have to spend money constantly to keep up with the competitive bunch. I also do not have any zeta materials. Something will help with going up in rank is that now the daily mission is to complete only 2 arena matches instead of 3 so those that only do the 2 battles will start to fall behind allowing those who try all 5 battles to climb in rank. I would not start over a new account unless the only part of the game you care about is keeping a high arena rank.

Well said, the goal in game is to have fun. If it feels like work, what's the point. One big thing to remember is META rules the Arena. Teams come and go. Right now teams are going from Wiggs, to Sith Empire. And eventually that will change. Unless you want to commit your every waking minute to playing levelling, gearing, and raging. Just kick back and play at your own speed. :)
  • Options
    Javik wrote: »

Well said, the goal in game is to have fun. If it feels like work, what's the point. One big thing to remember is META rules the Arena. Teams come and go. Right now teams are going from Wiggs, to Sith Empire. And eventually that will change. Unless you want to commit your every waking minute to playing levelling, gearing, and raging. Just kick back and play at your own speed. :)

This and so much this.

The great part is as the meta changes you will learn what teams have longevity (droids) and which ones don't (Phasma/Old Ben lead RIP)
  • Options
    Personally I'm one step away from deciding "let's just be so obsessed with this game that I play two accounts everyday" lol.

Having the tools on an old account to achieve things faster is nice, but so are better Arena rewards on a new account and actually being able to fairly test your strength. I know I will never care enough to farm five jedi for Yoda again, let's put it that way.
  • SikrouDeco
    338 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Another tip, build teams that let you complete the Mod battles and Challenges. This will help you gain mods, achievement points, Lord Vader shards, whom by the way is a BEAST thanks to his recent revamp. Crushing, then culling blade, can be a one shot kill. Plus being to finish each challenge rounds out your rosters which will increase your ability to complete harder levels in GW.
  • Options

I did the same thing...was sitting at top 100. Left around level 65 and came back to 1000+ rank. I struggled to get to about 600th place but now sit top 300. It's fun grinding hard to catch up.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »
    The great part is as the meta changes you will learn what teams have longevity (droids) and which ones don't (Phasma/Old Ben lead RIP)

I've been predicting for some time now that the underrated/unstated meta in development is FO. You have to have them all though, and obviously well geared. I watched a guy with a FO team shred every meta out there. It was impressive.
  • BIEBERyoloSWAG
    115 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »

I've been predicting for some time now that the underrated/unstated meta in development is FO. You have to have them all though, and obviously well geared. I watched a guy with a FO team shred every meta out there. It was impressive.

Yes i think it was ahnaldt101 that made a video about it. He said phasma zeta with a full zeta fo team is the best team out there and no one runs it
  • AbyssalH
    303 posts Member
    Options

U can always catch up.. Never surrender bro.. Had the same thinking but i kbwo that there are boders.. They cant progress past lv85 g11 5/6 .. U just need 5 of the best f2p toons .. Maul,boba,palps, tfp and whatever .. .. Max them out (from dust u can grind them) .. Will take u about 3 months and u could stay top 20..
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Options
    Farm mods and be faster than the other.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    Options
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    Farm mods and be faster than the other.

That brings up a good question. Who should I focus on more than the others for mod challenges? I have no plans or desire to build out a jawa team anytime soon, and probably won't have a viable resistance team for a year. I've got mainly Empire, Sith, and some Jedi, and am working hard on my FO. Which couple of tiers are most important for mods?
  • Options

Same here but I restated just before ships. Was FTP and rank 1-3 consistently before I quit for 4 months. Came back and spent a bit because I enjoyed the game. Now I'm top 50 working on my squad to hit top 10 and hopefully break into top spots.

My qualm was that this would've been possible except for the rampant speed mods. Now those guys who had crazy speed mods at the start of the mod fiasco are loving it. And it is very difficult to catch up to speed
  • Options
    You wouldn't be near the top anyway spending 40 a month. Some old shards you would struggle at 400 a month.

I just restarted when I was in similar shoes to you. No regrets here.