2 years to gear 11: not a complaint, just a question

I'm not a complainer, but I would like this clarified so I can determine if i want to continue playing this game or not.

I am currently a f2p lvl 72 and vascilate between 150 and 250 arena rank. I have 7 characters up to gear level 8, but the jump to level 9 seems intimidating and then I will still have to get the characters from 9 to 10 and then from 10 to 11.

For example, one of my characters requires 250 purple 100 of which are raid only, another 100 is farmable on LS/DS battles, the last 50 is easy as i can get it from the gear challenges. Spending all my energy on the farmable gear even with using the two 50/50 energy refreshes, I'll get about 5 a day so 100 would take 20 days. I have no idea how I'll get the raid only gear, I usually do well in the raids but even if I'm lucky enough to get the gear I actually need, I still only get about 10 pieces of it.

So, it seems like it will take about 1 month to get 1 character from gear 8 to 9. I can only assume levels 10 and 11 take even longer (I'll assume 1.5 months and 2 months respectively). So getting 1 character from 8 to 11 should take about 4.5 months.

Finally, to have a full squad of 5 characters at level 11 would take approximately 22.5 months, close to 2 years.

Is there something wrong with my math?

Am I missing something?

Have I reached the point that a f2p'er can realistically reach?

For all of you that do have many characters at gear 11, how long did it take you? Have any of you done it without paying a ton of money?

Again, I'm not trying to complain, just understand.

Replies

• Options
    Star Wars Galaxy of Gears...Far....Far..Far...Unattainable.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    100% f2p: https://swgoh.gg/u/vertigo/

I think your main problem here might be the guild you're in. Does your guild run heroic rancor raids or just tier V/VI? If you're doing well in raids but only getting 10 salvage pieces thats a gonna be a really slow farm, even the lower ranks of a heroic rancor give like 20 salvage pieces. Getting in a good guild running more raids and better raids will drastically improve how much gear you're getting that you need. The slowest farms will be the ones that take a lot (50 pieces) from the LS/DS battles like stun cuffs and stun guns. Those are the hardest pieces to obtain for a lot of people, but you're right there is a huge step up from gear 8 to gear 9 and above.

A lot of the gear as you get to gear 10 though comes from different places, like some will come from the AAT raid and some from the Rancor raid and some from LS/DS battles which is a little easier to farm as you can do both simultaneously rather than just farming 1 raid for all the gear you now have a split amount of gear some of which needs gear from one raid and some gear needs stuff from the other. Most of your energy as you grind will go into farming the gear that needs 50 pieces from LS/DS battles though. You CAN get some of this stuff in the rewards from the Pit raid, but it's not always what you're looking for.

In short: It takes a while, this is where the real grind starts for gear, but it won't take quite 2 years, and if you can get into a more active guild and run higher tier raids you'll be far better off in getting your characters to gear 11.
  • Fanatic
    415 posts Member
    Options
    I have been playing a year and 2 months. I have 5 tier XI characters, and another 16 tier X. Plus a handful of tier IX as well.

I spent $100 on the game in that time (I wouldn't have spent even that much, but there were.... extenuating circumstances). None of that went to gear purchases in the shops. Have been running heroic rancor raids since near inception. Have only been doing normal ATT raids.

So you are severely over estimating the time (assuming you can do at least H Rancor). And/or you aren't spending enough energy on farming the specific gear you need for your characters right now.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    Options
    Find a guild that runs new raids every couple days. Save your crystals from the arena and GW and use them to buy gear in the store. You can get close to 200 crystals every day from just doing everything. The most expensive pieces in the store are no more then 1400. That's about 7-8 days and most toons only need 2-3 of the best pieces. I use spare energy to farm the easy stuff. Cuffs, Stun Guns etc. I mostly save my crystals. You can jump from G10 to 11 in a week or a couple at most.
  • Options
    Not if you supplement your farming with spending your crystals on gear. I'm level 73 with my arena team at g8/g9. But its not taking me months to get from g8 to g9. And from the requirements for g10, it wont take me too long either. I dont know about g11 cuz I haven't seen that yet.

You should be getting about 160 crystals a day from dailies/arena/GW. At that rate, you can purchase one of those stun cuffs or whatevers in shipments for 1400 every 9 days or so. So Im thinking its just a matter of a few months to get to g11 as F2p

• Options
    I'm not a complainer, but I would like this clarified so I can determine if i want to continue playing this game or not.

I am currently a f2p lvl 72 and vascilate between 150 and 250 arena rank. I have 7 characters up to gear level 8, but the jump to level 9 seems intimidating and then I will still have to get the characters from 9 to 10 and then from 10 to 11.

For example, one of my characters requires 250 purple 100 of which are raid only, another 100 is farmable on LS/DS battles, the last 50 is easy as i can get it from the gear challenges. Spending all my energy on the farmable gear even with using the two 50/50 energy refreshes, I'll get about 5 a day so 100 would take 20 days. I have no idea how I'll get the raid only gear, I usually do well in the raids but even if I'm lucky enough to get the gear I actually need, I still only get about 10 pieces of it.

So, it seems like it will take about 1 month to get 1 character from gear 8 to 9. I can only assume levels 10 and 11 take even longer (I'll assume 1.5 months and 2 months respectively). So getting 1 character from 8 to 11 should take about 4.5 months.

Finally, to have a full squad of 5 characters at level 11 would take approximately 22.5 months, close to 2 years.

Is there something wrong with my math?

Am I missing something?

Have I reached the point that a f2p'er can realistically reach?

For all of you that do have many characters at gear 11, how long did it take you? Have any of you done it without paying a ton of money?

Again, I'm not trying to complain, just understand.
    I've been playing since November 2015, and I'm F2P.
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »
    100% f2p: https://swgoh.gg/u/vertigo/

I think your main problem here might be the guild you're in. Does your guild run heroic rancor raids or just tier V/VI? If you're doing well in raids but only getting 10 salvage pieces thats a gonna be a really slow farm, even the lower ranks of a heroic rancor give like 20 salvage pieces. Getting in a good guild running more raids and better raids will drastically improve how much gear you're getting that you need. The slowest farms will be the ones that take a lot (50 pieces) from the LS/DS battles like stun cuffs and stun guns. Those are the hardest pieces to obtain for a lot of people, but you're right there is a huge step up from gear 8 to gear 9 and above.

A lot of the gear as you get to gear 10 though comes from different places, like some will come from the AAT raid and some from the Rancor raid and some from LS/DS battles which is a little easier to farm as you can do both simultaneously rather than just farming 1 raid for all the gear you now have a split amount of gear some of which needs gear from one raid and some gear needs stuff from the other. Most of your energy as you grind will go into farming the gear that needs 50 pieces from LS/DS battles though. You CAN get some of this stuff in the rewards from the Pit raid, but it's not always what you're looking for.

In short: It takes a while, this is where the real grind starts for gear, but it won't take quite 2 years, and if you can get into a more active guild and run higher tier raids you'll be far better off in getting your characters to gear 11.

Thanks for the helpful response! Any suggestions on how to get into a more productive guild? My guild seems decent, we have about 30 active players with a handful at lvl 85. We've never done any heroic raids and usually alternate between tier 3 and tier 5 rancor raids while the AAT raid takes about two weeks.
  • Options
    Exletion wrote: »
    Find a guild that runs new raids every couple days. Save your crystals from the arena and GW and use them to buy gear in the store. You can get close to 200 crystals every day from just doing everything. The most expensive pieces in the store are no more then 1400. That's about 7-8 days and most toons only need 2-3 of the best pieces. I use spare energy to farm the easy stuff. Cuffs, Stun Guns etc. I mostly save my crystals. You can jump from G10 to 11 in a week or a couple at most.

Thanks, good advice. Any suggestions on finding a good guild?
  • Options
    I've "only" been playing for ... uh ... hm ... 16 months, and I've got 11 characters at g11. A majority of those reached g11 in the last 3 months. It was not that long ago that g11 wasn't even attainable for most characters.

I know the gear climb is daunting, but the only way to get up that hill is to get yourself in an active guild and start climbing. Raid rewards and guild currency add up over time. And g11 is not the same for all characters. It only took me 2 months to farm up Leia from nothing to 7* g11 (RIP Carrie Fisher).

I have not spent a *ton* of money to speed gearing. But I have spent some because impatience got the better of me.

It won't take you 2 years to build a g11 squad.
  • Dooku_for_days
    2907 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Search the forums, find a guild that is recruiting players, and running heroic rancors and normal AATs. Most guilds in that situation would take you in.
  • lukeroks
    304 posts Member
    Options
    Yes gearing takes forever but the devs made gear 9 a barrier I had Rex at g8 for a long time while I farmed cuffs on him and then took him from g9-11 in two days. I'm FTP and I can relate to your struggle, stick with it and chose your farms wisely.
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    Options

Search the forums, find a guild that is recruiting players, and running heroic rancors and normal AATs. Most guilds in that situation would take you in.

This is excellent advice. Most guilds that are worth anything will post here on the forums. Get yourself a good guild. You'll get that gear.
  • Options

lukeroks wrote: »
    Yes gearing takes forever but the devs made gear 9 a barrier I had Rex at g8 for a long time while I farmed cuffs on him and then took him from g9-11 in two days. I'm FTP and I can relate to your struggle, stick with it and chose your farms wisely.

This is excellent advice. Most guilds that are worth anything will post here on the forums. Get yourself a good guild. You'll get that gear.
    Vertigo wrote: »

Thanks all! I really appreciate the help. There is light at the end of the tunnel:)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    ranking high in arena will speed up the gearing process, unfortunately you'll need high gear first in order to rank high. Currently i have no idea what will be "the" top team will be in a month or 2, so i can't offer any advice to get ahead of the curve.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    ranking high in arena will speed up the gearing process, unfortunately you'll need high gear first in order to rank high. Currently i have no idea what will be "the" top team will be in a month or 2, so i can't offer any advice to get ahead of the curve.
    My Rex lead team is holding up amazingly against all the new toons, zetas and meta teams. It beats everything on offence and I rarely drop out of the top 5. IMO, it's the safest route to go as it's such a great counter to everything.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    My Rex lead team is holding up amazingly against all the new toons, zetas and meta teams. It beats everything on offence and I rarely drop out of the top 5. IMO, it's the safest route to go as it's such a great counter to everything.

i've seen your profile, you're pretty good. I also run rex lead, not as effectively though.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

i've seen your profile, you're pretty good. I also run rex lead, not as effectively though.

I love when I face rex leads and EP doesn't stun anyone except maybe 1 person, but then Boba (or anyone with an AOE) goes first instead of Rex, and all my sith dodge his AOE and then also go to 100% TM and then everyone except EP, Boba, and my tank are at 100% TM and it's just an RNG fest to decide who gets to mess with the other team first.

Or when EP doesn't stun anyone and then Rex uses Subdue first lol. Good times.
  • Options
    Silly question, how do you PM on this forum?
  • Options

You could join ours! Heroic rancor and normal tank, pretty casual without the 600 energy a day rule
  • Options

You could join ours! Heroic rancor and normal tank, pretty casual without the 600 energy a day rule

Great! Here is my ally code 271-836-446
  • Wundalicious
    437 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Great! Here is my ally code 271-836-446

Couldn't find you mate, that the correct code? Try adding me, 537-539-278
  • Options
    Sorry, it's 271-838-446
  • Mans_Yolo
    171 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Can confirm having a T7 rancor, t6 AAT guild helps a lot. I'm level 74 and already have 6 characters at G9 with the majority of their raid gear pieces complete already. Gear the right squads for each phase of HAAT and have a good squad for rancor and you'll get G11 on several toons much faster then a year. Our estimate as F2P in my guild is that it takes about 1 month to get a character to G11. It's faster if you save your 1400 crystals and snipe the right raid pieces from shipments.

My strategy is to subscribe to the crystal shipment pack. It's 10.99 for 2200 crystals, so basically you get 1.57 raid gear pieces a month with the crystals you get from this, plus your arena crystals. It's not quite F2P and not quite dolphin or whale. A good compromise.

Also make sure you do ALL your chalenges you can do, at the highest tier possible each day. DO NOT miss Sunday. Also, at 12, 6 and 9 you get quite a bit of gear for credits from shipments. I always buy all 4.
  • Dryff
    672 posts Member
    Options
    I can confirm that F2P is not really that prohibitive in this game, as I've been F2P the entire time and I started just about 11 months ago, and certainly did not do things correctly or optimally at all:

https://swgoh.gg/u/kylekatarn24/collection/

I agree with the posts here...guild helps a TON. My phone account is only level 76 FTP and has 4 G9 toons already, some are ready to go to G10 already when I hit level 80. If you can't find a guild, send me a PM and we'd be happy to have ya!
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Options
    giphy.gif