Store extreme disappointment

Anybody have this experience?
Mostly just play for free, spend $10 for the 100 crystals a day then think, would like to upgrade a character (Darth Nihilus, a character name I've used in my games for over three decades).
Spend $20 for crystals then purchase the character pack and get... the MINIMUM 5 shards. Twice?! Arrrghh! As the title says, extreme disappointment.

Replies

• Kitch
    171 posts Member
    Options
    You set your hopes too high. Before purchasing, ask yourself if you would be content with the minimum and base your decision on that answer.
  • Options
    i purchase that pack 3 time and geuss what 3*5 :/ with 3897 gem at least i was able to upgrade it to 4 star
  • Options
    I thought to myself, what if I could get less than half of potential (5-30 maybe 10 or so each time). If more, happy days! But 10 out of 10-60? Brutal.
  • Options
    Unfortunately you have to budget for the minimum possible from a pack. It's not random and it's weighted much more towards getting very few. Everyone has to understand that CG is out to make money, if there was a good chance of getting loads of shards they would be losing $$$. It's not a diss at either you or CG as it is the way it is. Whether the price points are fair is another matter, but I do hate people to feel disappointed. Still, Nihilus appears to be viable at 3/4* and if you can stretch to one more pack then you can get him to 4* I guess?
  • Options
    Morteza, right? I cry when I think at how many cheese burgers I could have gotten instead.
  • Options
    Except going from 3 to 4 stars takes 30 shards. At 10 shards at $20 that's $60. For one character. For one level. Gulp.
  • wawrzon
    262 posts Member
    Options
    Seems nobody noticed how flawed your reasoning was.
    Shards from pack are NOT in range of 5-30. It's either 5 OR 30. % is skewed towards former at roughly 9/1.
    Watch any video of nihilus pack opening on youtube or any pack for that matter - it always been like this. Wording on packs might be misleading, but it's like that for a purpose <wink>
  • Tatebomb
    797 posts Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys but I'm glad someone decided to make a thread about this.

Oh wait this is only the 100th such thread.
  • Options
    Wawrzon, so when it has the "-" in 5-30 it's not saying you COULD get 10 or 20, it's either 5 or 30? Holy crud that's misleading. I don't think I would have purchased it being cautious as I am. I was thinking EA was giving us a fair chance at for our money. I wasn't being anywhere near so cynical of them.
  • Options
    Anyone else know from experience if it's min-max, or if we can get something in between?
  • Options
    I think the code is more like "pick a random number from 1-1000. 1-999 give 5 shards, 1000 give 30 shards."
  • Options
  • Options
    Whoops, can't do emojis
    Was laughing at the 1 in a 1,000 chance
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wawrzon, so when it has the "-" in 5-30 it's not saying you COULD get 10 or 20, it's either 5 or 30? Holy crud that's misleading. I don't think I would have purchased it being cautious as I am. I was thinking EA was giving us a fair chance at for our money. I wasn't being anywhere near so cynical of them.

Read the description carefully again, careful guy.

It clearly says you "get 5 guaranteed with a chance for 30". Nowhere it says "between", and the "-" isn't a lie, it can mean either but they should've put "5 or 30". I'm sure the ambiguity was on purpose.

Well, you can do without all those cheeseburgers anyway.

Now you know better, don't make the same mistake again. Check the forum first if you are indeed as careful as you say.

Good luck with your 4* Nihilus.
  • warmonkey
    1314 posts Member
    Options
    They wrote 5-30 but they actually mean 5 or 30. Yes, it's designed to be misleading.
  • Options
    I am the only person who could comprehend the fact that, that man just said he operated on the name Darth Nihilus prior to 1987? "(Darth Nihilus, a character name I've used in my games for over three decades)"!
    **** Star Wars fans?
  • spotremix
    1566 posts Member
    Options
    yes you might be disappointed but buying those packs is all RNG.

like has already been said. you have to ask yourself is the price worth it to you for the min amount because the min amount is always possible even when purchasing multipuls of the same pack.

that's why some of us are f2p. the gamble just isn't worth it. rather than try and hurry up and max toons out with packs and what not i'd rather save my resources real money included and wait until the shards are farmable. you can spend far less doing it that way.
  • Tharivol
    130 posts Member
    Options
    From the ones that already 7*'d Nihilus the results on packs I heard so far (From Forums and Youtube videos);
    From 3 different people 52 Packs all 5 Shards (=67.548 Crystals)
    From 1 person 47 Packs, 1 x30 Shard, all the rest 5 Shards (=61.053 Crystals)
    From 2 people (or this might be 3 too can't remember well now) 42 Packs, 2x30 Shards, all the rest 5 Shards (=54.558 Crystals)
    Spend $20 for crystals then purchase the character pack and get... the MINIMUM 5 shards. Twice?! Arrrghh! As the title says, extreme disappointment.
    :D

• DeeRod12
    386 posts Member
    Options
    Can't spell steal without EA :p
  • Options
    natodom wrote: »
    I am the only person who could comprehend the fact that, that man just said he operated on the name Darth Nihilus prior to 1987? "(Darth Nihilus, a character name I've used in my games for over three decades)"!
    **** Star Wars fans?
    Maybe he is a time traveller ?
  • Gank_Killer
    1817 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Was laughing at the 1 in a 1,000 chance

I'm not, it's accurate.
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Options
    Welcome to the game. :)
  • spotremix
    1566 posts Member
    Options
    Newbie wrote: »
    This is why ppl still prefer F2P because they know they cant get exactly what they pay for.

this is very true and good point. i consider myself f2p. the only time i purchased anything of actual money value is through itunes gift cards i received from christmas and birthdays. even then though i am very, very selective on what i spend that on. i've only purchased guarenteed things like crystals and i did one of the sith packs for dooku.

i won't spend a penny when it's an rng thing where you could get 5-30 of this or that.
  • wawrzon
    262 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Like I wrote - it's supposed to be misleading. Then again, they aren't exactly lying here, just read carefully. IF you don't know what you might get - always reffer to youtube, now ppl post everything there, so you'll get visual proof.
    I can probably name a dozen of much worse games that could be named "money grabbers". EA could be considered mellow among them. You don't actually need any packs to compete in this game, so no need for excessive hate here. And i agree with others - there is no need to gamble like this. Save crystals on gear or unit shards in shipments, you'll get much more out of your investment.
    They do operate under this business model, so we can't actually blame them since we get a great f2p game. All in all if you appreciate the game you'll drop few $ here and there, as a token of appreciation. But I would suggest mod packs or something with high upside - like last Vader TIE fighter pack.
This discussion has been closed.